"A swallow on my neck"

• Thread starter Stefan Johnsson
  • Start date
S

Stefan Johnsson

This may very well be the stupidest thing ever written... but I am bored to death right now.

I have this idea that I should tattoo a swallow on my neck. When I came up with this idea I thought it would be great but I am not so sure now.

so many illustrations

> This may very well be the stupidest thing ever written... but I¿ am bored to death right now.¿ I have this idea that I should tattoo a swallow on my neck. When¿ I came up with this idea I thought it would be great but I am¿ not so sure now.

well when your 40 are yoiu still going to want a swallow on your neck?

morrissey friends

> I have this idea that I should tattoo a swallow on my neck. When¿ I came up with this idea I thought it would be great but I am¿ not so sure now.

Well, before you do anything "permanent," do some research as to what exactly a swallow tattoo on one's neck signifies - I've heard conflicting reports, from being into the rockabilly scene, to having spent time in prison (for reasons I've since forgotten). We wouldn't want our Stefan to be unfairly branded with anything you don't stand for...unless, of course, either of these examples describe you. ; )

> Well, before you do anything "permanent," do some¿ research as to what exactly a swallow tattoo on one's neck¿ signifies - I've heard conflicting reports, from being into the¿ rockabilly scene, to having spent time in prison (for reasons¿ I've since forgotten). We wouldn't want our Stefan to be¿ unfairly branded with anything you don't stand for...unless, of¿ course, either of these examples describe you. ; )

I really thought that it just signified that you where into rockabilly. I did not know that it also could signify
that you have spent time in prison.

Well, I'm already into rockbilly so all I have to do now is get caught doing something criminal.

so many illustrations

a blue-tit on my chest

Why not kill two birds with one stone, and get caught listening to rockabilly.¿ Well, I'm already into rockbilly so all I have to do now is get¿ caught doing something criminal.

Re: a blue-tit on my chest

> Why not kill two birds with one stone, and get caught listening¿ to rockabilly.

Oh, that not very nice. Are you implying that it's criminal to listen to rockabilly? How can you not like rockabilly?

so many illustrations

> Oh, that not very nice. Are you implying that it's criminal to¿ listen to rockabilly? How can you not like rockabilly?
I always thought that it had something to do with being gay. It's probably an obvious sleazy one, but surely to have it on your neck means that you swallow?

> well when your 40 are yoiu still going to want a swallow on your¿ neck?
of course you will i speak from experience-also the reason for it being a swallow is because an emu doesn't fit-again i speak from experience.

> Oh, that not very nice. Are you implying that it's criminal to¿ listen to rockabilly? How can you not like rockabilly?
pardon my ignorance, but im not familiar with rockabilly, just wondering if anyone could fill me in as to what its like, who plays it, etc.

Try listening to The Reverend Horton Heat, they have me hooked :)¿ pardon my ignorance, but im not familiar with rockabilly, just¿ wondering if anyone could fill me in as to what its like, who¿ plays it, etc.

> Try listening to The Reverend Horton Heat, they have me hooked¿ :)
Correction: That would be 'psychobilly,' and yes, I am hooked too =)

Rockabilly

> pardon my ignorance, but im not familiar with rockabilly, just¿ wondering if anyone could fill me in as to what its like, who¿ plays it, etc.

Well, rockabilly started in 1951 and you could say that the first rockabilly tune ever written was Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston, but it did not become a hit until Bill
Haley recorded the song.

Rockabilly disappeared in 1958 when everyone started to play rock 'n roll, but it reappeared in 1979 when Stray Cats started playing "Neo-Rockabilly".

so many illustrations

> pardon my ignorance, but im not familiar with rockabilly, just¿ wondering if anyone could fill me in as to what its like, who¿ plays it, etc.

isn't morrissey considered rockabilly?

morrissey friends

Re: Rockabilly

I don't know that I agree with your brief history of rockabilly. "Rocket 88" was the first major release on Sun records, the famous rockabilly label, but it was not really a rockabilly song. It was (and still is) generally accepted as an RnB song and maybe, just maybe, an early rock'n'roll song. It does not really have any of the trademarks or rockabilly music per se.

Plus, even if you want to consider it a rockabilly song it is still not fair to say that rockabilly itself started back in 1951 because there was a gap before anything generally accepted as rockabilly actually surfaced. I would place its inception closer to 1955 with it really "exploding" in 1956. Granted, it is sometimes tough to say where country and honky tonk type music actually mutated into rockabilly so it is not really relevant to argue over exact dates. One early crossover artist worth looking into is Charlie Feathers who was acutally writing and recording before Elvis really got started and wrote a number of classic rockabilly tunes. As for Elvis, he is probably one of the first bonafide rockabilly artists (along with Carl Perkins, one of my personal favorites), although he quickly moved out of that area after he left Sun records.

As for the resurgence of rockabilly in the form of neo I would like to mention a band called Buzz and the Flyers. They actually came before the Stray Cats and were one of the most influential neo bands, although they are quite overlooked in my opinion. They influenced The Stray Cats, Rockats and Polecats (among others). However, it was certainly the Stray Cats who popularized the rockabilly resurgence.

I was so pleased to see a mention of rockabilly on this page that I just had to take part in the discussion. I hope what I have said is helpful.

Morrissey and Rockabilly

> isn't morrissey considered rockabilly?
No, I wouldn't say so. Although he does have songs with a definite rockabilly influence i.e. "Certain People I Know" "The Loop" and "Pregnant for the Last Time," etc. Plus, he has surrounded himself with rockabilly-influenced musicians like Boz, Alain and Gary and then ofcourse there is the trademark rockabilly-inspired pompadour (which, unfortunately, Morrissey doesn't have any more).

I have always been interested in Morrissey's connection to rockabilly so I am glad that it came up here. Does anyone know anyhting about it? Has he ever said anything in an interview? There was some rockabilly infuence in some Smiths stuff too (i.e. "Nowhere Fast," "Vicar in a Tutu" etc.)

Does anyone feel like talking about the Moz rockabilly connection?

Re: Morrissey and Rockabilly

i'd feel like talking about if i new more about it

he is classified as rockabilly by most music magazines and companies

morrissey friends

> No, I wouldn't say so. Although he does have songs with a¿ definite rockabilly influence i.e. "Certain People I¿ Know" "The Loop" and "Pregnant for the Last¿ Time," etc. Plus, he has surrounded himself with¿ rockabilly-influenced musicians like Boz, Alain and Gary and¿ then ofcourse there is the trademark rockabilly-inspired¿ pompadour (which, unfortunately, Morrissey doesn't have any¿ more).¿ I have always been interested in Morrissey's connection to¿ rockabilly so I am glad that it came up here. Does anyone know¿ anyhting about it? Has he ever said anything in an interview?¿ There was some rockabilly infuence in some Smiths stuff too¿ (i.e. "Nowhere Fast," "Vicar in a Tutu"¿ etc.)¿ Does anyone feel like talking about the Moz rockabilly¿ connection?

I am by no means an expert on rockabilly history I just really love the music.

I am also very interested in Morrissey's fascination with people in subcultures such as mods and skinheads
and rockabillies. It was of course Morrissey that got me interested in rockabilly.

I think that you can hear Morrissey's connection to rockabilly very clear when you hear him sing live. The
next best thing to see Morrissey live is to see a really great rockabilly band live and in Sweden, where I live,
we have some very good rockabilly bands like Jack Baymoore & The Bandits and The Go Getters.

so many illustrations

Re: Morrissey, Rockabilly and Teddy Boy's

Does anyone know if Morrissey has ever mentioned Teddy Boy's? I have never read any such mention, but it would be very interesting to know if anyone else had.

so many illustrations

> i'd feel like talking about if i new more about it¿ he is classified as rockabilly by most music magazines and¿ companies

I am really surprised that he is ever categorized as "rockabilly" by people in the music business. I guess that just shows how little they really know about music, but we already knew that!

Do you remember which mags in particular referred to him this way? They probably did it just because of the hair.

so they say

> isn't morrissey considered rockabilly?

i've heard that before (a few times) but i'm confused as to what all these music categories(there are so many, i hear new ones everyday) actually refer to....and if Morrissey is not rockabilly..well, what is he? I guess he doesn't really have to be anything but...

Back
Top Bottom