Radiohead do storming cover of Headmaster Ritual on radiohead.tv

Now that is a thing of beauty. Front page material. You know the story of Ed O'Brien playing Johnny Marr the (then) unreleased Knives Out, and explaining that they were trying to do a "Smiths" song. Johnny was left in wonderment by the song. Also, they have said that The Bends would have been a different album had they not heard Vauxhall & I. Splendid stuff.

Peter

Oh wow, that's pretty good. I've never been a Radiohead fan, but I must say that this beats the 'Who Put The M...' version hands down, at least musically. It's one of the few songs which I think Morrissey's band has totally slaughtered.

Same as a few here never been a great radioheader but this is brilliant

You have to say that they are great musicians, but a nod here must go to Daniel Earwicker and Eluedy on Youtube, who showed how this should be played (the tuning is crucial). How old was Marr when he wrote this? 19? 20? You have to be amazed at that. By the way, I just blagged the audio as MP3 and I'll put it in the download section shortly.

Peter

**EDIT** - Radiohead have addressed this very same subject before, in their song Bishop's Robes, the lyrics of which are:

Dressed in bishop's robes
Terrifies me still
In bishop's robes
Bastard headmaster
I am not going back
I am not going back
I am not going back

Children taught to kill, to tear themselves to bits
On playing fields
Dressed in bishop's robes
I am not going back
I am not going back
I am not going back

Last edited:
i love headmaster ritual, and think this cover is brilliant. also i thought in 2004 that the version was brilliant as well

Fantastic - this is the best version of The Headmaster Ritual I've ever heard. Radiohead are the best band in the world at the moment.

Bravo to Johnny Marr for writing this masterpiece.

Awesome!!

Awful,absolutely awful

Somehow the lyrics don't ring true sung by Thom Yorke and lacks soul.

"Beligerent ghouls run Manchester schools..."

Quite possibly,but not at Thom's old school:

Abingdonschool.jpg

Decent cover of a great Smiths song. I like the music, not so much the vocals. Nothing against Thom, but leave the yelping and yodeling to the Master.

Back
Top Bottom