Withdrawn "This Charming Man" 7" on eBay - full of shit?

There's a 7" "This Charming Man" on eBay right now that's being listed as an early copy that was withdrawn pending a redesign because the Rough Trade logo was considered to be too similar the Capitol Records logo. Passions doesn't mention this, and I've seen the same Rough Trade logo used elsewhere, such as on the TCM 12". Is this guy full of shit, or could he be confusing it with the withdrawn "Reel Around the Fountain"? Even if he is full of it, I suppose that it's an interesting item because it includes the Rough Trade promo insert. Still not worth US$90, though.
6847_12.JPG

2538_12.JPG

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The guy is right, well almost. There were legalities having to do with the logo, but as far as I know the single wasn't really withdrawn. A sticker was printed to put over the logos of the records Rough Trade hadn't yet dispatched to retail. Then the label was redesigned for later repressings.

The Capitol-style logo pressings are not really rare.

Stephane

The guy is right, well almost. There were legalities having to do with the logo, but as far as I know the single wasn't really withdrawn. A sticker was printed to put over the logos of the records Rough Trade hadn't yet dispatched to retail. Then the label was redesigned for later repressings.

The Capitol-style logo pressings are not really rare.

Thanks, as always, for clearing that up.

This fact that the capitol charming wasnt rare is also mentioned in the foreword of the "top 100 rarities" article on record collector.

So the "maybe rarity" is a common rumour but not true...

I found it harder to get hold of the copy with the sticker over the logo I wonder how many people they had on the job?

love

Grim

Back
Top Bottom