Morrissey a Chivas fan?

Reading the comments again I can see there might be a slight racist tinge to the criticism. Apparently Chivas fans are "third world trash" :rolleyes:

This post had me a little upset, until I realized you were referring to the soccer team, and not my Moz hobknobing with the Kennedys at Nantucket Sound with a bottle of this:

chivas.jpg

I remember reading a report here about Morrissey being seen with a friend at the game. No biggie.

The women's Football World Cup is on as well :D:D:D

1. BIMBO? His eyes must've lit up. Fantastic.

2. I truly have no idea why these posters are calling Chivas fans "scum." I'm not immersed enough in the culture of American major league soccer (and am shocked that anyone is) to know - all I know is that Chivas is a very new team that's explicitly affiliated with Chivas in Mexico, and is pretty much marketed directly to Mexican-Americans. So, I'm kind of with the poster who says that this is a race thing. Sorry about my country, everyone.

At least not all of the comments are like this - the first few are quite positive...

3. This really makes me smile - showing up to support Chivas is a deeply and rather pleasingly Mozzish thing to do. Not only is there the Mexican connection (and, since they're apparently the underdog rivals to the David Beckham Galaxy, a little bit of a thumb in the eye to his footie roots as well) but there is always a slightly, pleasantly camp aspect to supporting an American soccer team. Most of them are almost brand-new and so you're inevitably having to summon the feeling of long-time, ancestral support out of nowhere - it's possible, but you're always feeling a bit wry about it. Or at least I am.

Tho' MLS does try to counter this by bring us Chivas and other teams that are more or less explicitly affiliated with others in Europe and Mexico - which can give the whole thing an EPCOT Center feel, but whatever, they try.

Last edited:

Hey--that link requires registration. Boo.

Chivas sucks, and f*** LA; DC United all the way, folks. They're as good as American soccer gets. They routinely play exhibition matches against whoever won various European or South American championships the previous year, and have more than held their own in all the matches that I've seen (except against the "Bhoys" last year).

1. BIMBO? His eyes must've lit up. Fantastic.

2. I truly have no idea why these posters are calling Chivas fans "scum." I'm not immersed enough in the culture of American major league soccer (and am shocked that anyone is) to know - all I know is that Chivas is a very new team that's explicitly affiliated with Chivas in Mexico, and is pretty much marketed directly to Mexican-Americans. So, I'm kind of with the poster who says that this is a race thing. Sorry about my country, everyone.

At least not all of the comments are like this - the first few are quite positive...

3. This really makes me smile - showing up to support Chivas is a deeply and rather pleasingly Mozzish thing to do. Not only is there the Mexican connection (and, since they're apparently the underdog rivals to the David Beckham Galaxy, a little bit of a thumb in the eye to his footie roots as well) but there is always a slightly, pleasantly camp aspect to supporting an American soccer team. Most of them are almost brand-new and so you're inevitably having to summon the feeling of long-time, ancestral support out of nowhere - it's possible, but you're always feeling a bit wry about it. Or at least I am.

Tho' MLS does try to counter this by bring us Chivas and other teams that are more or less explicitly affiliated with others in Europe and Mexico - which can give the whole thing an EPCOT Center feel, but whatever, they try.

From now on when asked which American team I support, I will say Chivas. My team (Glasgow) Celtic have enough similarities. Moz just clinches it for me.

Hey--that link requires registration. Boo.

Chivas sucks, and f*** LA; DC United all the way, folks. They're as good as American soccer gets. They routinely play exhibition matches against whoever won various European or South American championships the previous year, and have more than held their own in all the matches that I've seen (except against the "Bhoys" last year).

Hail! Hail! The Celts are here!

I'm interested in the baked goods.

How many countries take part in the (baseball?) world series? I'm going to do a crash course on American sport. I'm already going to commit to The Boston Celtics due to the name.

Yeah... that's the funny thing. It's two countries. US and Canada- we have 29 teams and they have one, per the MLB website. So not so much a "World Series" as a "Semi-Continental Series."

The Boston Celtics are a basketball team. We also have the Notre Dame Fighting Irish if you like college action. But honestly you can't get more Irish than the Chicago White Sox or the Cubs. Chicago is supposedly the most Irish city in the world outside of Dublin. Also the most Polish city in the world outside Warsaw.

Back
Top Bottom