Need suggestions for Smiths mix CD for 13 year old girl

hooligan1975

Hi folks,

My wife's friend's 13 year old daughter is getting into music and is into bands like Good Charlotte and Fall Out Boy - pop/emo bands that cite the Smiths as influences. I'm making a mix CD of Smiths songs for her.

I could use some suggestions for what songs would be best for a 13 year old girl in this situation. It's got to fit on a single CD. I want songs with lyrics that jump out and can connect with a 13 year old girl. For the record - I'm a 31 year old male and have been a Smiths fan since I was 18.

So far I've got:

Girl Afraid, There Is A Light, Hand In Glove, Ask, What Diff. Does It Make, This Charming Man, Sweet and Tender, Boy With The Thorn In His Side, These Things Take Time, I Want The One I Can't Have, What She Said, Bigmouth, Stop Me If You Think, How Soon Is Now, Some Girls Are Bigger, I Won't Share You, Please Let Me Get What I Want, Never Had No One Ever, Last Night I Dreamt

That is 65 minutes..... Almost a full CD... so... any suggestions???

Thanks

Being a fan of Fall Out Boy doesn't exactly make her ideal Smiths fan material, but it's worth a shot! I'd definitely put "Heaven Knows..." on there, surely every wrist-slitting emo teen can relate to that? Also "Half A Person," that's gotta be on there. Maybe also "Frankly, Mr Shankly" (it's catchy), "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" and "Asleep"? Good selection so far though, although I'd put the "Rank" version of "What She Said" on there rather than the studio one, it's more of a rocker. Good luck!

Coiff.

Girl Afraid is so awesome for a 13 year old girl! That's pretty much daily life as a 13 year old right there.

Can you fit Unhappy Birthday and Girlfriend in a Coma? Those were the two that pulled me in when I was 13. They just knocked me over, I couldn't believe anyone would write anything so silly and sad and real. And Stop Me... but you have that.

Some days I miss 1987 so much. Mostly not though.

Put "Boy with a thorn.." I believe Pete wrote a book with the same title as I'm sure you know. But you could point that fact out to her and perhaps start to steer her in the right direction. ;-)

I agree that "Frankly Mr. Shankly" needs to be on there. That would be perfect. Perhaps "Cemetery Gates" as well? It sounds silly but is dark. That's trendy these days right? "Bigmouth", "Handsome Devil" might also be a good choice. It is quite catchy. "Still Ill" and "Pretty Girls make Graves".

Those I think are some of the best I could suggest. Just trying to remember what 13 sounded like.

Hi folks,

My wife's friend's 13 year old daughter is getting into music and is into bands like Good Charlotte and Fall Out Boy - pop/emo bands that cite the Smiths as influences. I'm making a mix CD of Smiths songs for her.

I could use some suggestions for what songs would be best for a 13 year old girl in this situation. It's got to fit on a single CD. I want songs with lyrics that jump out and can connect with a 13 year old girl. For the record - I'm a 31 year old male and have been a Smiths fan since I was 18.

So far I've got:

Girl Afraid, There Is A Light, Hand In Glove, Ask, What Diff. Does It Make, This Charming Man, Sweet and Tender, Boy With The Thorn In His Side, These Things Take Time, I Want The One I Can't Have, What She Said, Bigmouth, Stop Me If You Think, How Soon Is Now, Some Girls Are Bigger, I Won't Share You, Please Let Me Get What I Want, Never Had No One Ever, Last Night I Dreamt

Thanks

Amid criticisms that I will surely get... I actually think "The Very Best of the Smiths" is a decent way to go.

"Heaven know i'm miserable now". When i was 13 my dad played me this song and i have been a huge fan since. So eviently this song apealed to me when i was that age so hopefully she will like it as well.

I'm not sure it matters what you put on it. If you're a 31 year old man giving a CD to a 13 year old girl, you could make mix CDs containing The Smiths, Mozart, and Cole Porter, throwing in J. K. Rowling reading from Book Eight of Harry Potter and topping it off with the ghost of Lawrence Olivier reading the correct winning lotto numbers for the years 2008-2012, and you still wouldn't be able to make her think it's cool.

I suggest burning the CD and leaving it hidden in a box in her house's attic, there for her to discover on her own at a future date. Better yet, scrap the mix CD, find out which boy she likes at school, and pay him to wear Smiths t-shirts and talk openly of his favorite albums.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi folks,

So far I've got:

Thanks

I think it's wonderful that you're trying to save her from all that crap she listens to. She's young she's got a lot to learn.

BigMouth Stikes Again
I know IT's over
NOwhere Fast
Handsome Devil
Asleep

I was thirteen three years ago, so I remember it quite well, haha.
Aaand, you have a very good list! I agree also with Sheila Take A Bow and Ask! She might also like Shoplifters Of The World Unite. :D

I hope she likes it a lot! I wish I had someone make me that album when I was thirteen, haha.

Way, way too many songs for a 13 year old. If you want to get her into the band, just pick 6-7 songs max & then take it from there.

the singles....leave off "last night i dreamt" & "that joke isn't funny anymore" & "shelia take a bow".

i would definitely put "sheila take a bow on it" on it ;
"THROW YOUR HOMEWORK ONTO THE FIRE AND COME OUT AND FIND THE ONE THAT YOU LOVE AND WHO LOVES YOU "
thats a fine line which she can relate to surely!

also:you just havent earned it yet baby is pretty catchy

and rubber songs "songs that saved your life"-(that make you cry and smile) cause music is important always and definitely if your just discovering it---

Last edited:
My 14 year old niece watched Who Put The M In Manchester with me ,her fave tracks are The Headmaster Ritual and First Of The Gang

Hi folks,

Definitely leave out The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, if you know what I mean.

ACCEPT YOURSELF cause at that age (and of course when you are older also)its not that easy accept yourself and dont care what other say- around that age you start to realize the differences between your thoughts/opions who can be different from your friends ..so and also since she listen to more uptempo songs this might get her attention more than the slow songs..also because morrissey leave the self pity path that sometimes can hit you a little bit too hard...just read that part in goddards book where moz described the amount of letters of teenagers who relate to that song strongly

please please let me get what i want also because its short simple and touching...and true

the 2 above must be on it the following.-hmmm
i agree that last night can be a little much but I can be wrong...

ask.its catchy and feels lke a summer song...

boy with the thorn: need no expl

panic

bigmouth..the guitar part

shoplifters..

Thanks so much for all the responses... a lot of good suggestions and ideas... I will let you know how I make out....

I like the idea of it being shorter instead of overwhelming... I might go that route...

Back
Top Bottom