Modest Mouse 8/19/07 Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

LOL!!! yep, tanner and I went together and had the greatest f***ing time ever. haha. i even ran into a Morrissey fan there and almost head my head ripped off when I said I was a huge Johnny fan. lol. some philly/nj people scare me. they really do. lol.

kissmyshadestoo: i was probably right in front of you. i was right against the barrier right in front of johnny with tanner. i had a yellow poncho on before MM came on wearing a shirt with shrooms on the back, going all nuts. lmao.

and, i dont care what the anti-johnny people say.. but.. HE WAS f***ING DAMN AMAZING LASTNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have never ever head anyone play guitar like he does. never. and never heard him play like that before. the guy is a f***ing musical god. i hate using that term, but.. um.. i'm gonna make an exception here. LOL.
didnt get to meet him though. :( he didnt come out. but i did get to sorta talk to him on the phone lastweek when tanner met him, lol.

I'm not sure a lot of the young kids today even know who the Smiths are....by why would it matter to them if you are a Smiths fan or not?

I was a few feet back, I had a white rain jacket on and a red Phillies hat (the weather absolutely stank). You were probably a few feet from me at the most.

I yelled "Johnny you the man" at one point and he kind of just stopped and didn't know what to say. I wish I got there a few minutes earlier and I would've been on the rail!

And you are right....his playing is insane. I could watch him play all day.

I thought the show was top notch. Minus the rain etc. bla.
But really, I had no idea that Modest Mouse was that awesome. 2 drummers and everything. Talk about a solid band. Tiny Cities Made of Ashes was my favorite for the night.

But most of all seeing Johnny play live was obviously the high light. I think he looks better as the years go by as well. He has come such a long way since the kid and play hair cut from '84 haha.

When he put that black and white Richenbocker on I almost cried. For a few seconds I swore I was in heaven. Seeing him play the guitar, and hear that specific sound was like pure moment to me. That sound, that image, were responsible for some of the best music ever written and played and to see him playing like that in person (despite with a differernt band so many years later), was truely a joy for me.

It was great and I too love Johnny Marr

I'm not sure a lot of the young kids today even know who the Smiths are....by why would it matter to them if you are a Smiths fan or not?

I think they were pissed off about Johnny 'breaking up' the Smiths and they wanted to see him with MM to see for themselves how supposedly good he's done or not done without Moz, and that Moz is the real one who's succeeded. hah. The same old shit. I just say, if you don't like it, why bother even making the effort of going and ruin it for everyone else if you're gonna be all grumpy about it. But, I think deep down they still loved Johnny. haha. just in denial. haha.
and the kids next to me going "this isnt a f***ing Johnny Marr show.. its a f***ing Modest Mouse show" haha. whatever, bastards. Johnny steals the show cause he's f***ing great. he cant help it. :D he deserves some f***ing spotlight though.
he wasnt acting cocky or rock-star-ish at all or trying to purposely steal any spotlight... and was gracious and totally getting into the music. he plays amazingly well with the rest of the band and they seem to have a great chemistry.
i remember when rumor had it he was to join MM, i just thought, "ahh crap.. this isnt gonna mix very well..". i was already a MM fan. obviously not as big of a fan as i was of Johnny, but always liked MM, too. but just thought it might be weird.. but i was wrong... my god, i think if anything this has been the perfect opportunity for him to bring out his true talent and be able to just cut loose and go crazy on the guitar and *really* use his skill. like he's letting out all this imbedded energy out with this music.
like i'd said before, i dont think i have ever heard or seen him play like that before. absolutely beautiful. hehehe.

and not just out of bias, but yeah, i think he's succeeded in a lot more ways than Moz since the breakup and in more ways than just musically. *waits for the abuse, lol*

I was a few feet back, I had a white rain jacket on and a red Phillies hat (the weather absolutely stank). You were probably a few feet from me at the most.

Yup!!! I think I saw you! LOL! Cool!

Yeah, the weather was complete shit. Its still raining like f*** here. Its like a freekin sewer. and we were Modest Mouse's little wet 'sewer rats'.. sewer mice haha.

I yelled "Johnny you the man" at one point and he kind of just stopped and didn't know what to say. I wish I got there a few minutes earlier and I would've been on the rail!

I remember that, LOL.

And you are right....his playing is insane. I could watch him play all day.

Yep *sigh* :D:D:D

You should come out to Brooklyn and see them again with us!

JOHNNY, HERE WE COME!!! BEWARE!! hehehehehe

Last edited:
I thought the show was top notch. Minus the rain etc. bla.
But really, I had no idea that Modest Mouse was that awesome. 2 drummers and everything. Talk about a solid band. Tiny Cities Made of Ashes was my favorite for the night.

yep! Tiny Cities is waaaay up there in my favorites. and johnny's adorable when hes bopping his head around to it, hehehe.

but yep.. they are one hell of a band.

But most of all seeing Johnny play live was obviously the high light. I think he looks better as the years go by as well. He has come such a long way since the kid and play hair cut from '84 haha.

Amen to that!! :D I admit, I was mainly just watching Johnny the whole night, haha. its hard not to! LOL

but yep... god... little 1984 johnny. hahaha.
When he put that black and white Richenbocker on I almost cried. For a few seconds I swore I was in heaven. Seeing him play the guitar, and hear that specific sound was like pure moment to me. That sound, that image, were responsible for some of the best music ever written and played and to see him playing like that in person (despite with a differernt band so many years later), was truely a joy for me.

hehe yep. exactly. same here, to all the above.

It was great and I too love Johnny Marr

:D yep, he's very very loved, heh.

OK....wanted to ask you guys which opening band you were into the most?

I liked act #1 (3 piece, reminded me of Husker Du for some reason) then act #2 (reminded me of The Band for some reason )with act #3 the least. Honestly, I was shocked that they had a rap group opening for them. At one point I was thinking this was a joke or that someone in MM took ill and cancelled and they were the replacement act LOL. Seriously, I was counting the number of songs they played and after they played like 6 songs (more than acts 1/2) I was like "What the eff?".....I'm pretty open to all types of music but I wasn't into those guys.

Gotta think about Brooklyn.....I can't believe they moved the gig until September?!?!?

OK....wanted to ask you guys which opening band you were into the most?

I liked act #1 (3 piece, reminded me of Husker Du for some reason) then act #2 (reminded me of The Band for some reason )with act #3 the least. Honestly, I was shocked that they had a rap group opening for them. At one point I was thinking this was a joke or that someone in MM took ill and cancelled and they were the replacement act LOL. Seriously, I was counting the number of songs they played and after they played like 6 songs (more than acts 1/2) I was like "What the eff?".....I'm pretty open to all types of music but I wasn't into those guys.

Gotta think about Brooklyn.....I can't believe they moved the gig until September?!?!?

LOL!! I HATED the opening band. Total crap. LOL. no idea why the hell a rap band would be opening for MM, but who knows. whatever. lol.

as for the other bands. Love as Laughter and Band of Horses. I absolutely loved them just the same. didn't think I would, but they really impressed me. solid, awesome bands. definitely fit the whole modest mouse thing.

yes come to brooklyn!! :D

Not to take over on your thread, but here are a few things I got from Johnny Marr:

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Sorry for the amount of pics, but this was a very good moment for me.

Joey..........I'm so jealous right now!

What gig was that from? Please don't tell me NYC.

Awwww thats sweet..glad you had a great time..and yeah the moz fans are wrong in no way is johnny an ass

What venue was that in? Your first pic of Johnny looks like you are almost on top of him.

Again, awesome additional pics!

I wonder if Johnny has like 20 of those red shirts.....he wore the same thing in Philly! Also, what are the numbers to the right of the songs on the song-titles? Anyone know?

I think he had that t-shirt in Bologna too (it was 3 months ago)
Oooh. He didn't use the Tele and Rickenbacker when I saw MM...

Thanks joey :)

Great photos, Joey - and congratulations on meeting Johnny! What was the Smiths single that he signed for you?

Cool. I never saw that sleeve with the little boy on it, that's why I asked. Sweet!

Back
Top Bottom