The Killers - Sam's Town

mauve21

Long time participant
Nice album.:) I also think the lyrics are pretty interesting sometimes.
I like the way the singers voice shakes a little and the
emotional overtones are very real.
It's great to listen to music which is in touch with
the gamut of emotions......;)
Any comments?

Nice album.:) I also think the lyrics are pretty interesting sometimes.
I like the way the singers voice shakes a little and the
emotional overtones are very real.
It's great to listen to music which is in touch with
the gamut of emotions......;)
Any comments?

I love The Killers. Hot Fuss was a real '80s throwback, full of synths etc., so it was nice to hear a progression in sound for the 2nd album. Much more of a '70s Americana stadium-rock sound. Very Springsteen-ish. Production's brilliant and every song could be a single. I know what you mean about Brandon Flowers' voice, it's the most individual vocal around in my opinion. Bones was my fave song, but they're all great. Overall, an excellent record by a very talented bunch of guys, and it's not often I say that about a 'mainstream' band (in fact I never do) so long may they continue!

Btw, I have their stunning Glastonbury set (one of the best live performances I've ever seen), and if you want me to upload it just say.

Coiff.

I LOVE the Killers! Hot Fuss is one of my favorite albums--yes, very 80's sounding which is one reason I really like it. I remember hearing it the first time and totally hearing the Duran Duran and Morrissey influences. The base lines in "Jenny was a friend of mine" totally reminds me of D2 and the line in that song "We had a fight on the promenade out in the rain" -- now, when have you heard someone sing promanade in another song... hmmm.... and I hear Moz especially in "On Top" -the Uh Huh parts-"In the back, uh huh, I can't crack, we're on top, it's just a shimmy and a shake, uh huh, I can't fake, we're on top, we're on top". My bro (who is not a Moz fan) sez 'Midnight Show' and 'Change Your Mind' remind HIM of Morrissey. Anyhoo, I'm way fine with Moz being an influence. That right there is reason to give any band a listen. And now I have some other 'group' I can obsess over :p ...no, I do not post on their website ~ha!

I've seen them twice and they put on a great live show. He even has some of the same mannerisms as Morrissey-whether intentional or not. I kept saying to my husband the whole show (during a 'move' -"that is so Morrissey!" or a lyric "that is such a Morrissey line!' -yeah maybe I was being a pest =0) No worse than the literally hundreds of cell phones in the air obstructing my view most of the show --grrr) We also briefly met Brandon outside before the gig -nobody around but us- (he was about to get on the bus but turned to say hi and chat a few minutes) We were so jazzed after that encounter! Getting back to the CD, Hot Fuss was so HOT that Sam's Town was doomed before it was released -well only doomed in the sense that it couldn't live up to Hot Fuss- but it's still a great CD. It really grows on ya. I like Bones too -and Read My Mind. Heck, I like 'em all!

I'm sure a lot of you have heard Killers cover "Why don't you find out for yourself". I would have FREAKED if they played that live. If not, here are two links:

Killers slide show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02itxwQ88UM

Moz slide show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQr0SPXH66c

And then a tidbit of interesting reading:

The Brandon Flowers / Morrissey connection
http://www.arjanwrites.com/arjanwrites/2005/02/the_killers_mys.html

Ok, tapped out. I love the Killers and will continue to follow them and buy their stuff!! I asked on the boards if anyone saw any Killers at the Vegas Moz show while they were on a break ---Nope (for reasons unknown =o)!

yep i really like the killers. i like both lps. i never bought the singles so i haven't heard the b sides, which i may sort out one day. I haven't seen them live yet, every time i want to get tickets they are sold out:(

yep i really like the killers. i like both lps. i never bought the singles so i haven't heard the b sides, which i may sort out one day. I haven't seen them live yet, every time i want to get tickets they are sold out:(

Yeah, I know the feling.

I really like Hot Fuss 100% from first listen, and Sam's Town, some songs were an acquired taste, if you will, but a very much liked album! Now I have come to really like almost every song. Although I haven't listened to either of those albums in ages! I must go adn listen to them! :D

They're excellent live I have heard, in fact my former friend called me from their concert, and over the phone they sounded good! :D To me that's amazing...!!!

Yeah, I know the feling.

I really like Hot Fuss 100% from first listen, and Sam's Town, some songs were an acquired taste, if you will, but a very much liked album! Now I have come to really like almost every song. Although I haven't listened to either of those albums in ages! I must go adn listen to them! :D

They're excellent live I have heard, in fact my former friend called me from their concert, and over the phone they sounded good! :D To me that's amazing...!!!

well, they are playing at an festival here in two weeks, i could go but i can ill afford one ticket, let alone two...also train tickets, food and i'll have to get a t shirt:p
well hopefully next time:)

I liked their very first single but then as they kept releasing singles they got progressively worse and they began to sound the same. Which put me off buying any albums.

I also don't like the singer, he doesn't seem to have a personality. Or maybe it's just a pretence infront of journalists....either way :p

I didn't like Hot Fuss....but got into them by 'Read My Mind', it breaks my heart that song!

'Bones' reminds me of the Cure, I could imagine Robert singing that song

Any comments?

Over rated and over here

I didn't like Hot Fuss....but got into them by 'Read My Mind', it breaks my heart that song!

'Bones' reminds me of the Cure, I could imagine Robert singing that song

Yeah, I like Read My Mind. Very pleasing melody!
Got Hot Fuss. Wasn't very impressed. Liked a handful of songs (Jenny, All these things) but that was about it.
'When You Were Young' is (officially) absolute pants!
A horrible, horrible song.

I did not think they put on a great live show... I saw them in Detroit on a Wed and then Morrissey on Monday in Ann Arbor,pretty good week overall.
There was not a lot of emotion in the Killers show VS Morrissey

but what is one man's opinion???

I went to a karaoke bar over the winter and asked for (the only Moz tune) The More You Ignore Me... the DJ tells me -when it's my turn- to "pick another one" --huh?! :confused:-- so I went with Somebody Told Me. Picture a chick singing this. Well, I rocked it hard, people. Ah, liquid courage. Good stuff. The place needed something besides country and stupid sappy shit. My 15 minutes are up! :cool:

well, they are playing at an festival here in two weeks, i could go but i can ill afford one ticket, let alone two...also train tickets, food and i'll have to get a t shirt:p
well hopefully next time:)

lol...all or nothing huh? :p

I'm the same way with buying a shirt....you never kow the next time you'll have the chance, and well the fact you actually got it from the concert, makes it all the more special...I hyad to explain this to my mom when buying another Morrissey shirt for this past tour.....:p

I'm the same way with buying a shirt....you never kow the next time you'll have the chance, and well the fact you actually got it from the concert, makes it all the more special...I hyad to explain this to my mom when buying another Morrissey shirt for this past tour.....:p

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself?:p

work and school will be taking up my time...:(

When they playing? I haven't checked their site for a while....lately, well since Moz has been touring, I have no desire really to see anyone else, unless it's an 80's band....like The Cure, who I hear is coming to LA I believe and possibly Depeche Mode.....everything else, to me is a waste of my time. Does this sound silly.....well maybe jst a little, but as of now, those are my feelings.

yeah, i always try and buy a shirt when i go to a gig or concert. then wear em to death and then look terrible and i can't wear them anymore!

Back
Top Bottom