The Police Concerts..

AmgoingtoseeMoz

Sorry if this is already posted, but did anyone go see The Police in concert? When I heard they were going to be in concert at first I was, am so going, but then I saw the prices of any kind of ticket and I said I'll wait for better prices. Then after a month I just gave up only to find out that at the last moment, they bought out tickets that were priced OK, but by then I couldn't even go any more. So just to satisfy my mind, how good or bad was the concert? Did they sound good and was every song drawn out into a solo for each member of the band:confused::) And did anyone go to The Staples Center or Dodge Stadium because that was the places I wanted to go.

I saw them last month. They were very good! No, there weren't long drawn-out solos on every song, but each member got their chance to shine (no bass solos though, thankfully!!).

People who tried to sell off their tickets basically were giving them away for less than half-price. I'm not sure why the resale value was so low -- the demand just wasn't there.

I saw them at Wrigley Field in July. They rocked 'the friendly confines'! I thought they sounded great (JUST like you remember) and Sting looked fantastic- also hit all his high notes. I love Stewart Copeland and Sting even said "welcome to the Stewart Copeland show" (True--multi-talented!)

They played everything you would have wanted to hear. Not a bad tune in the bunch. It was a flashback to highschool. The crowd was kind of tame (one headline in the papers said "more mini-van than mosh-pit") but they did get into it for a handful of songs. I can assure you, I was more mosh-pit! I DO NOT sit down at concerts. Just Can't.

They played two dates there and I read later that it went better than most Cubs games (less drunks, arrests, etc) that this may become a regular thing to use the ballpark as a music venue. Jimmy Buffet has played there a few times too. Works for me and is VERY convenient to get to. Beats driving thru construction to (BFD) Tinley Park! 2 FREAKN hours last time.

OK. Go Cubbies! They are only 1 game back. Taking on Philly tonight. Sorry, that's not what you've asked about. Back to topic:

The Police Set List-give or take a switch up or two.

Message in the Bottle
Synchronicity II
Walking on the Moon
“Voices Inside My Head”/”When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What’s Still Around”
Don't Stand So Close to Me
Driven to Tears
Truth Hits Everybody
Bed's Too Big Without You
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
King of Pain
Wrapped Around Your Finger
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Walking in Your Footsteps
I Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne
--- Encore I ---
King of Pain
So Lonely
--- Encore II ---
Every Breath You Take
Next to You

^^I just wonder about the drawn-out solos because of what I saw on the Grammys award show. I knew they would be good in concert, I should have went! Was that the first time that you saw them in concert or did you see Sting or perhaps The Police back in the day? If so how do they differ from the first time you saw them?

I saw them at Wrigley Field in July. They rocked 'the friendly confines'! I thought they sounded great (JUST like you remember) and Sting looked fantastic- also hit all his high notes. I love Stewart Copeland and Sting even said "welcome to the Stewart Copeland show" (True--multi-talented!)

They played everything you would have wanted to hear. Not a bad tune in the bunch. It was a flashback to highschool. The crowd was kind of tame (one headline in the papers said "more mini-van than mosh-pit") but they did get into it for a handful of songs. I can assure you, I was more mosh-pit! I DO NOT sit down at concerts. Just Can't.

They played two dates there and I read later that it went better than most Cubs games (less drunks, arrests, etc) that this may become a regular thing to use the ballpark as a music venue. Jimmy Buffet has played there a few times too. Works for me and is VERY convenient to get to. Beats driving thru construction to (BFD) Tinley Park! 2 FREAKN hours last time.

OK. Go Cubbies! They are only 1 game back. Taking on Philly tonight. Sorry, that's not what you've asked about. Back to topic:

The Police Set List-give or take a switch up or two.

Message in the Bottle
Synchronicity II
Walking on the Moon
“Voices Inside My Head”/”When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What’s Still Around”
Don't Stand So Close to Me
Driven to Tears
Truth Hits Everybody
Bed's Too Big Without You
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
King of Pain
Wrapped Around Your Finger
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Walking in Your Footsteps
I Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne
--- Encore I ---
King of Pain
So Lonely
--- Encore II ---
Every Breath You Take
Next to You

Thank you for the set list! That was going to be my next question:D

I had not seen them before actually which is why I just HAD to go. Well, the only other time I have seen Sting was when he opened up for the Grateful Dead at Soldier Field...gosh...can't remember the year (he he -yeah, I was a deadhead) maybe 1995? 96? but I didn't enjoy that nearly as much. Not a big fan of his solo stuff.

As you know, this tour was one of the hot summer tickets. Thankfully I only paid $100 for my ticket but I had heard some were upwards of $500-$1000! :eek: It was weird to see so many people/seats on the field. And while I thought it would have been a better spot to view the stage from (which was GINORMOUS -vid screens on the sides and top), I'm not too sure since it was all flat-land. I was pretty happy being along 3rd base line :)

I wore my Smiths t-shirt in honor of the band I'd really like to see reunite. Well, I would love to see it (in any form -most likely? Moz/Marr) but I'm not holding my breath. Then again, I wouldn't want them to do the world tour ala the Police (they wouldn't dare anyway) Yes, it's a dream... Love peace and harmony....Maybe in the next world.

I saw them last month. They were very good! No, there weren't long drawn-out solos on every song, but each member got their chance to shine (no bass solos though, thankfully!!).

People who tried to sell off their tickets basically were giving them away for less than half-price. I'm not sure why the resale value was so low -- the demand just wasn't there.

Thats what i thought.In my city the scalpers were asking for half price,but they just announced that they are coming back in november for a 3rd show.

I have tickets for the Police show in NYC tomorrow. I was way more exicted before. Even since the Morrissey show last Monday I can't listen to anything else. Did I already ruin the abilty to get pumped up for the Police? uh oh.

I also read mixed reviews about this tour, but I'm hoping they will put on a good show for NYC.

Stewart Copeland will get a standing O from me :cool:

I'll be seeing them Sunday at the Meadowlands/Giants Stadium in NJ. I just keep thinking of that quote from the 80s when the Smiths were asked to open for the Police and Mozz said something to the effect of "we are more important than the Police". Anyways..........hoping its a good show!

I have tickets for the Police show in NYC tomorrow. I was way more exicted before. Even since the Morrissey show last Monday I can't listen to anything else. Did I already ruin the abilty to get pumped up for the Police? uh oh.

I also read mixed reviews about this tour, but I'm hoping they will put on a good show for NYC.

Stewart Copeland will get a standing O from me :cool:

I had tickets for the Yankees and shared a train back to the island with a LOT of people that went to that concert at MSG. They all said it was amazing. You probably had a good time.

I'll be seeing them Sunday at the Meadowlands/Giants Stadium in NJ. I just keep thinking of that quote from the 80s when the Smiths were asked to open for the Police and Mozz said something to the effect of "we are more important than the Police". Anyways..........hoping its a good show!

Maybe he was trying to rip off the "We are bigger than Jesus" line from a certain someone.

You will enjoy it but I wouldn't say it was the most rocking'est of shows. They sounded really good and are all very talented in their own right(s). I enjoyed seeing them for the first and last time as a group--and it was a great trip down memory lane. It's amazing to think/hear that EVERY song of theirs was a hit! The best songs were when the whole crowd was up and dancing to songs like Don't Stand So Close to Me, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Da Do Do Do Do Da Da Da, and Roxanne -probably the highlights.

Some guy blew me shit on the boards about going to the show... like how can I say I'm a Morrissey fan if I went to see The Police?! Ugh. Please. I guess I missed that page in the Moz Fan Handbook :D

Some guy blew me shit on the boards about going to the show... like how can I say I'm a Morrissey fan if I went to see The Police?! Ugh. Please. I guess I missed that page in the Moz Fan Handbook :D

That is my only thing that causes me to shake my head about this site... to the rest of the world ... they shake their heads as to how we can appreciate Morrissey's music... you would think that would cause other people to have a tolerance about all other music.... instead it causes a very vocal minority to throw their noses in the air and snobishly frown upon what they deem as musically degrading.

I am booking rooms in Atlantic City for November and after what I have heard everyone say about the Police shows... I will be buying tickets for their show on November 3rd.

Anyone know if any boots of these shows exist. I would be surprised if an official live cd was not released but it would be nice to have something in the meantime.

Was that the first time that you saw them in concert or did you see Sting or perhaps The Police back in the day? If so how do they differ from the first time you saw them?

I saw them once "back in the day" when I was a young lass. It was a blazing hot day in August 1983, at an all-day outdoor stadium show with REM, Madness and Joan Jett as the opening acts. By the time The Police hit the stage late in the day, I had heat stroke or something and was too weak to stand. I actually couldn't see the band (had to sit down or I'd faint) but they sounded great.

I'd say the difference between the Police then and now is minor: as you know, they've rearranged a number of their songs -- made them slower -- and some people don't like that. Also, Sting used to be a lot chattier and more spontaneous back then. He's still a good front man, but now what he says is scripted (same thing every night). At the 1983 show, he was actually very funny and charming: qualities that aren't usually associated with Sting!

But there were definitely times in the 2007 show that it was exactly like the "old days" in terms of just the power of the band and the beauty of the songs. The stand-outs for me were all Synchronicity-era: "King of Pain" "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and even though we've heard it a trillion times "Every Breath You Take" was just knock-out gorgeous.

P.S. I agree with Skinner -- Stewart Copeland is f-ng amazing. Actually, Skinner was going to the NYC show, right? That was this past weekend. We expect a review, Mr. or Ms. Skinner!

Last edited:
Ask and you shall receive. haha. It's Ms Skinner by the way.

As for the Police show at MSG on Friday 8/3/07, it was quite an experience. It was wonderful to see the 3 of them up there having a blast. Andy had some amazing solos (namely durning "So Loney" from the encore). They played all the hits. I think Syncronisity II was my personal favorite. As for Sting, he has a tendency to switch up the pace of the vocals and what I call "Stinging them up". I.e. Roxanne wasn't Roxanne, it was "Rooxaanneee-ooooooo", which the crowd was then to repeat until it was a little bit too much. But other than that, most songs sounded perfect.

But overall I do have to hand it to Steward Copeland for the amazing use of odd forms of percussion. Loved the gong! And in my opinion he stole the show as I knew he would. It was great to see them live. I feel like I was able to check off another item on my "To do before I die" list.

Cool! Glad you enjoyed it, Ms. Skinner.

To Buzzetta who asked about bootlegs: there are boots for every show, past and present, being shared very openly on the message boards of the official Police web site (www.thepolice.com). There are also some incredibly rare recordings like Sting's personal demos for Ghost In the Machine (including a fair amount of material that never got released), the pre-Police known as Strontium 90, and recordings of Sting with Last Exit from way, way back. I'm not sure why the official site is taking such a lenient attitude, but hey I'm damn grateful.

I saw them last night at Giants Stadium. I only thought the concert was "so-so". They jammed too much during too many of the songs (Imagine "This Charming Man" with a four minute guitar solo stuck in the middle).......I think some of it was not needed.

When they stuck to the way the songs were originally, I think that worked best....like "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic".

"Wrapped Around Your Finger" was neat with Stewart's percussions but for the rest of the show he could've stripped his kit down to a bare minimum.

Overall, I would rate the show a C+

I do think that his actual kit (excluding the gong etc set up behind him), was larger than I expected. I had never seen them live before, just listened to them religiously for the past few years, so I didn’t know what his kit was going to look like. I was shocked that he plays Tamas first of all. I thought such an experienced, talented, and well known drummer would have gladly accepted a sponsorship from perhaps a more quality manufacturer, but to each his own.

I thought the kit was a little bit large like I said, (compared to the sound of studio recordings) but he did you the timbales often.

From where I was sitting I couldn't see if he used a double pedal or not. On the recordings it doesn’t sound like it but I know of other drummers who use double pedals strictly for shows and I could have sworn I heard a double bass beat in there once or twice. Can anyone verify this?

Back
Top Bottom