The best Libertines tracks?

Was wondering if people could suggest what the 10 best Libertines tracks are believed to be. I know there will be many different opinions out there but I am looking to start listening to the music of The Libertines (not really fussed about Babyshambles) so the more opinions the better really.

Cheers, PTxx.

1. The Good Old Days
2. Don't Look Back Into The Sun
3. Music When The Lights Go Out
4. Time for Heroes
5. Up The Bracket
6. Tell the King
7. You're My Waterloo
8. Last Post On The Bugle
9. Smashing
10. Death on the Stairs

Possibly if feeling controversial i could shove Albion or Back from the Dead to the list.

Can't Stand Me Now
Don't Look Back into the Sun
The Good Old Days
Narcissist
I Get Along
Last Post on the Bugle
Up The Bracket
What A Waster
General Smuts
Time For Heroes

Time For Heroes
Never Never
The Good Old Days
Vertigo
Music When The Lights Go Out
Cant Stand Me Now
Don't Look Back In To The Sun
Death On The Stairs
Boys In the Band
What Became Of The Likely Lads

What about Dirty Pretty Things?

What about Dirty Pretty Things?

Waterloo To Anywhere cured me insomia so it did. Just jesting, it was ok just missed that special spark. Supposedly through pressure they rushed the last one and the new one will be a big improvement or so i have been assured.

Turns out my brother had a little compilation disc of Libertines tracks. I had a listen and I was rather inpressed. Don't really know whether I should be looking to get into Babyshambles or Dretty Pretty Things, from my first impressions they both seem a little bit of a let down compared to The Libertines. Is this true?

Turns out my brother had a little compilation disc of Libertines tracks. I had a listen and I was rather inpressed. Don't really know whether I should be looking to get into Babyshambles or Dretty Pretty Things, from my first impressions they both seem a little bit of a let down compared to The Libertines. Is this true?

I much prefer Babyshambles over Dirty Pretty Things. In my opinion if it wasn't for excessive drug abuse, poor production and many other contributing factors they could have matched or even surpassed The Libertines. My reason for this thought is the excellent early material especially the Kilamangiro single and B-side Man Who Came To Stay recorded before complete anarchy took over. Pat Walden is a maestro and added a whole other dimension to The Shambles sound. Sadly Pat is no longer in the band and they have recently recorded The Blinding EP and their new album with Mick Whitnall as lead guitarist(who isn't quite as good, also the new album is produced by one Stephen Street) I have read one review of the second already which was very positive.

I stated my opinion on Waterloo To Anywhere up above but it does have a few decent tracks; Deadwood, Gin and Milk, Blood Thirsty Bastards & Wondering.*cough* http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZL2V39ZE

Down In Albion is a decent but infuriating album suffering from poor production and too many half hearted songs. A'rebours, The 32nd of December, Pipedown, 8 Dead Boys, Albion, Back form the Dead, Loyalty Song & Merry Go Round are all good tracks in my opinion. *cough* http://www.mediafire.com/?ejmomtmmwwz

Overall the real magic of both out with The Libertines, are in demos and bootlegs. Most of which they given away for free and appear on this site:

http://www.albionarks.com/

This is way too hard for me. One of my favorite bands ever.

1 Time for Heroes
2 Death on the Stairs
3 What A Waster
4 Tell The King
5 Youre My Waterloo
6 Breck Road Lover
7 Love on the Dole
8 7 Deadly Sins
9 Hooray for the 21st Century
10 Dont Look back Into The Sun
11 The Delaney
12 Skint and Minted

Down In Albion is a decent but infuriating album suffering from poor production and too many half hearted songs. A'rebours, The 32nd of December, Pipedown, 8 Dead Boys, Albion, Back form the Dead, Loyalty Song & Merry Go Round are all good tracks in my opinion. *cough*

Babyshambles definitely have more potential than the Dirty Pretty things, who are a more straight ahead, basic band. Down in Albion could well have reached the heights of the Libertines, but it needed a Carl 'figure' to keep Doherty under control and actually say no to him. If 5 songs or so had been trimmed off it would have been a far superior album. 8 Dead Boys, Killamangiro, Pipedown, f*** Forever and a couple of others wouldn't have been out of place on a Libertines album though.

I love the Libs so much, they got me into music. I agree about Shambles, but I like DIA alot actually, the EP really let me down though. Waterloo was an allright album under the situation.

No order. My favorites.

Don't Look Back into the sun.
Death on the Stairs
Anything but Love
Last Post on the Bugle
The Man Who Would Be King
Music When the Lights Go Out
What Became of the Likely Lads
Time for Heroes
Up the Bracket
What a Waster

Death on the stairs
Tell the king
what became of the likely lads best song ever.
campaign of hate
what katie did
last post on the bugle
can't stand me now
france
radio america
music when the lights go out

Babyshambles definitely have more potential than the Dirty Pretty things, who are a more straight ahead, basic band. Down in Albion could well have reached the heights of the Libertines, but it needed a Carl 'figure' to keep Doherty under control and actually say no to him. If 5 songs or so had been trimmed off it would have been a far superior album. 8 Dead Boys, Killamangiro, Pipedown, f*** Forever and a couple of others wouldn't have been out of place on a Libertines album though.

Yes I would mostly agree but there was never going to be a "Carl figure" , Babyshambles are or were Pete's plaything to have pretty much complete control over, originally in his state that guaranteed complete anarchy and recklessness. Recently he and the band seem to have become more stable and reliable, Drew & Adam deserve a lot of credit for this. Also getting rid of Mick Jones will prove a master stroke in my opinion. I don’t like Kilamangiro on DIA, the single version is better produced and has more emotional drive.

Some info relating the Libs, John Hassall(bassist) band Yeti are soon to be releasing their first LP:

http://www.yetiintelligence.com/

29/7/07

YETI TO RELEASE "YUME!" LP IN JAPAN on AUGUST 29th!

Yeti will be releasing their first LP on Japanese label Vinyl Junkie (http://vinyl-junkie.com).

The release date is August 29th and the LP will feature 12 tracks.

For ordering information please contact [email protected].

Yeti x

01. Never Lose Your Sense Of Wonder
02. In Like With You
03. Merrygoround
04. Keep Pushin' On
05. The Last Time You Go
06. Up and Down
07. Midnight Flight
08. Forgotten Melody
09. Song For The Dead
10. Carpet Road
11. Insect-Eating Man
12. Jermyn Girls

Last edited:
Mick Whitnall as lead guitarist(who isn't quite as good
Yes it's true, when I saw them live I missed the former guitarist, I didn't know his name.

1. What A Waster
2. The Man Who Would Be King(my favourites)

and, not in order.
Up The Bracket
Can't Stand Me Now
The Saga
What Katie Did
Radio America
Time For Heroes
Death On The Stairs

Two questions:
a. what song were written by Pete and what by Carl? I don't know but I suppose most of the songs mentioned here are Pete's. Am I right? Am I wrong?
b. Someone said in the main page that The Libertines supported the Mozzer. When? Did/Does he like them? In true-to-you he once said he doesn't admire anyone lyrically in pop or rock music.
Thank you people.

Yes it's true, when I saw them live I missed the former guitarist, I didn't know his name.

1. What A Waster

and, not in order.
Up The Bracket
Can't Stand Me Now
The Saga
What Katie Did
Radio America
Time For Heroes
Death On The Stairs

Two questions:
a. what song were written by Pete and what by Carl? I don't know but I suppose most of the songs mentioned here are Pete's. Am I right? Am I wrong?
b. Someone said in the main page that The Libertines supported the Mozzer. When? Did/Does he like them? In true-to-you he once said he doesn't admire anyone lyrically in pop or rock music.
Thank you people.

Pat Walden was the previous guitarist.

a) Mostly it seemingly was a 50-50 effort. Whoever normally sings the majority its their song(orignal concept/idea). They claim a lot of songs where written when intoxicated and then arguments ensued the next day about who wrote what line. Carl has admitted he isn't much of a lyricist but he contributed more musically than Pete.

From that list:
What A Waster - Pete
The Man Who Would Be King - Pete, Carl contributed a few lines
Up The Bracket - Pete
Can't Stand Me Now - Equal
Music When The Lights Go Out -Pete
The Saga -Pete
What Katie Did - unsure both have sung it since splitting up, so i assume equal
Radio America - Pete
Time For Heroes - Pete
Death On The Stairs -Carl

b)They supported him a few times i believe, around 2002/03. The most notable was at brixton. Yes he liked them and i have a few quotes from him saying so that i will type up at one point. He also asked them to play at his Meltdown appearance but they had to cancel as Pete was going into rehab. I'm sure though that Gary(the drummer) filled in for the New York Dolls.

Last edited:

1. What A Waster

and, not in order.
Up The Bracket
Can't Stand Me Now
The Saga
What Katie Did
Radio America
Time For Heroes
Death On The Stairs

Two questions:
Thank you people.

All of Up the Bracket was a co-write. the s/t album was mostly a co-write except for the songs Doherty wrote for an early manifestation of Babyshambles. Doherty and Barat actually sued over the credits in 2004 I think.
They supported him a couple of times and were meant to do his Meltdown festival line-up a few years ago.

Albion will probably give you a better summary, but that's my two-pennies worth :)

Ah he already did...lol

sorry :o

Back
Top Bottom