How much would I be looking to pay for an entire Smiths vinyl back catalogue?

I hope to someday stumble across this collection of vinyl records. I am simply looking for all the albums released on 12" on all the singles on 7". How much would I be expcted to pay do you reckon for this collection. My dad has most of them but like he says they're his and he shall be holding tight to them...the tight fisted bugger. So, basically I am looking to get my own collection, estimated prices anyone?

Well I didn't start too long ago myself and i've ended up paying anywhere from £8-£12 for the Rough Trade LP's, and i'm still missing Louder Than Bombs which i feel will cost a bit more when i eventually find it. The 7" singles i have cost me anywhere from £5 to a tenner, I bought Last Night I Dreamt 7" in Vinyl Exchange for a fiver this week. There are exeptions of course, Hand In Glove was going for £15 at a fair i went to a while back.

It would be hard for me to guess at a final price because i'm nowhere near there yet. maybe one of the more expierienced collectors on here can help you out more :) maybe it won't be as easy to guess as your hoping though, because it depends on the condition of the records and how much dealers feel like ripping you off etc hehe

Oh, and don't forget the 12" singles!

Hi,
Not an easy question to answer !!!
There is no doubt it can be expensive to build a collection but there are bargains to be had. It all depends how much money you have to spend (or waste as my good lady says ! ). For me the fun was in the search. I had bought a lot of the later Smiths stuff on release but also had a lot of gaps and worn out records to replace.
This was before Ebay so it was a bit harder then - although visiting record fairs is more fun than staring at a computer screen !! There is nothing better than filling one of those gaps but be patient - it's not a race. Also don't buy records in bad condition, you will only want to replace them later !
All in all have fun and good luck !!!
Cheers,
Del.

Right, a COLLECTION depends on "collecting", not "buying" so its difficult to set a price, since the items are not "food from the nearest store".

You should define what you mean with "collection"? Only the (mostly common) Rough Trade releases? This one you will get fast at ebay, but what about the international releases? German colored vinyl, French Ask, Italian and Holland, USA stuff etc... these items make a collection noticeable. And all the testpressings, mispressed... etc, etc....

Well, lets talk about the HIG Negativsleeve, which is still a 7" and goes for about 1500 GPB... You surely need this for a complete collection...

Get started in collecting, buy cheap stuff and then you will come to higher prices... and you are happy about every gem you managed to grab! THIS is collecting!

Collecting can be very addictive. Once you start you may find you can't stop !! I used to buy tons of stuff but I have broken the habit now.
I started with the Rough Trade releases and moved on from there.
My best tips are:
Don't spend what you can't afford.
Buy quality.
Cheers,
Del.

Thank you for the response. I will look to start collecting soon :) I have spotted a few Louder Than Bombs 12" including items like this.

If we can be clear on nomenclature, Louder Than Bombs is not a 12". The term 12" refers to a single or ep. A single has 1 a-side (sometimes a double a-side) and 1 to 3 b-sides. Usually 3-6 tracks is an ep, which stands for "extended play". Singles can be 7", 10", 12" or cd. Louder Than Bombs is an LP, which stands for "long play", referring to an entire album. Lp is to music as novel is to books. An lp can be 10", 12" or a cd. Even though the Louder Than Bombs records measure 12"s, they are not a 12" in the musical description of the term. Usually the a-side of an ep is not from an lp, but most a-sides of singles are from lps, with many exceptions.

I think if I was just starting my collection I'd go to the passions site & gleen the info off there. I'd make out a list of them all that I wanted, then tick off each one as I acquired it.
I guess each item is only worth what you are prepared to pay for it, you may end up kicking yourself because you let something go but usually you'll end up getting what you want eventually.
I suggest you stick to the UK pressings but obviously if you see a cheapo foreign pressing then go for it 'cause you are going to go on to them one day.
Also you will start to look at the other pressings available, such as the different labels, different covers (even if it's just addresses or even no address), push out or solid centres, crikey it never ends! :)

love

Grim

Last edited:
At first I reckon I just want to start out with buying the more 'easy to get' official releases before I start getting caught up in rare versions. Once I have got the official stuff then I can start working on more rare items. Thanks for the advice everyone.

At first I reckon I just want to start out with buying the more 'easy to get' official releases before I start getting caught up in rare versions. Once I have got the official stuff then I can start working on more rare items. Thanks for the advice everyone.

try to pick some lots from ebay, sometimes there are raries included for relative small money.

My first buy was an Smiths LP lot with some "other" vinyls for about 20-30€(no exact definition of the content, but as I could use anthing at that time, I bought the miracle lot)

The "other Stuff" was a 12" Whitelaw William, a 12" bluecover german Sheila and a 12" dutch Headmaster! -nice gems for THAT money!!!

Of course there is/are also the 10" re-release albums to consider too. It is impossible to price this adventure as you will almost certainly get both unlucky and lucky in near equal measure. But it is a fun exercise and the journey is worth more than the reaching of the destination. Enjoy all that it gives and teaches you. G

Back
Top Bottom