Re-mix of "My Love Life"

L

Librarian on Fire

I was thinking of all of Morrissey's solo work this would be the best one for a remix. Before all the pureists start jumping up and down and say no "vile dance music" think about it with some nice loops of "I know you love one...", a few bpm in the background, not something like drum and bass with 180bpms, more house like. I just thought that's all.

I think you're right. I will try it myself. Obviously, I can't get the masters, but it would be fun to try and sample Morrissey. I will let you know. Good thinking .

Now yer talkin'!

No certian samples come to mind right now... but what about just "sounds" he makes? That poll points out a few. "Street" breaks and him making noise plus a wild guitar. The only sound that jumps out to me right now is the one he makes before "London", live. It's like a cough/grunt. There's a project...

I'd be very interested to hear any Morrissey sample in electronix.

Re: Now yer talkin'!

So far, I have looped the intro and put two new beats to it. The vocals don't loop well, so I have cut in some clips of Moz talking instead, I have him saying 'heaven knows' for example. Now it's a matter of trial error, I have played some live guitars over it but that doesnt work, so I am trying to synth and sample something. I am working on lots of other stuff, so it will take a while. But keep the suggestions coming. Your right about sampling vocal sounds at the start of tracks, these are the things that sample and loop well. For vocals, you really need the master tapes.

Re: Now yer talkin'!

> So far, I have looped the intro and put two new beats to it. The
> vocals don't loop well, so I have cut in some clips of Moz
> talking instead, I have him saying 'heaven knows' for example.
> Now it's a matter of trial error, I have played some live
> guitars over it but that doesnt work, so I am trying to synth
> and sample something. I am working on lots of other stuff, so it
> will take a while. But keep the suggestions coming. Your right
> about sampling vocal sounds at the start of tracks, these are
> the things that sample and loop well. For vocals, you really
> need the master tapes.

The 12" (ohh err missus) of "Will Never Marry" when Morrissey does that big sigh, that's a goody.

I've been thinking...

There is an interview out there that Morrissey did for a radio show where he says that his favorite Ramones song is Beat on the Brat. I just loved hearing his voice in that one. I know it's hard to sample his voice from the songs, but it may not be that hard to convert those types of files. I'm still learning. I am very interested in Production and sound engineering...

If you could get him laughing, that would be almost as good as seeing his smile! You guys rock!

Re: I've been thinking...

It's easy to sample anything Nancy, but without the masters (which you need the owners approval to get) you don't have the individual tracks. Therefore you must sample 'wholesale', you can't seperate the tracks. Once you've 'beat matched' you're samples, it's trial and error to see whether they work together or not. Some things are not naturally given to looping either. I can't say I have anything of Moz laughing, but I will try.

Re: Acoustic version of "This Charming Man"

On tape at home I've good this really wonderful version of Morrissey and Marr singing "This Charming Man" The chorus is supplied by school children. I think it must have come from a tv show. It's funny as these children ask "Why are you called the Smiffs" and Morrissey gives a rehearsed answer. Marr doesn't seem happy with some of his replies. Pricless, oh it could be sampled.

> On tape at home I've good this really wonderful version of
> Morrissey and Marr singing "This Charming Man" The
> chorus is supplied by school children. I think it must have come
> from a tv show. It's funny as these children ask "Why are
> you called the Smiffs" and Morrissey gives a rehearsed
> answer. Marr doesn't seem happy with some of his replies.
> Pricless, oh it could be sampled.

I think it would be really cut if Morrissey and Bjork did a duet.
I hope that if Morrissey is up to it he'll get some of those talented chaps producing awesome music in the UK to help him with some club remixes. How do you go about getting master tapes anyway? The label? Morrissey's closet?

I have to think some more about these samples.

Obtaining masters usually involves getting permission from the owner of the sound recording, the copyright holder, the publisher, the artist. Morrissey would certainly not release masters as he sees dance music and electronica as 'the revenge of the stupid'. The best thing to do in practice is to sample from records without permission to get attention from the industry and artists, who will then approve and ask you to remix them (hopefully). The music industry tends to be very conservative and mistrusting, they don't want to make any effort, so you have to give them a finished product to get their interest.

> On tape at home I've good this really wonderful version of
> Morrissey and Marr singing "This Charming Man" The
> chorus is supplied by school children. I think it must have come
> from a tv show. It's funny as these children ask "Why are

Does the audio of this appear on any bootlegs? I am aware of this and have seen it a couple of times, but it would be great to hear again.. dare I say 'digitally remastered' (besfore the new 'Best Of..' arguments resurface!!)

>Morrissey would certainly not release masters as he sees dance music >and electronica as 'the revenge of the stupid'.

I could have guessed he felt that way.

It's a good debate...but those words are crushing me right now. I feel so.......stupid!

When is Morrissey going to play a concert sitting at the piano??

Back
Top Bottom