A question for all you Scottish fans

everydayslikesunday

Hi

We're up in Edinburgh for a few days later this month (to see the P!nk gig at the castle) and we're wondering if anyone knows where the best places to look for Smiths/Moz records are?

I know about Avalanche(?) records at the bottom of the Royal Mile but don't know of any another good record shops. I don't want to tramp half way across town for a record shop I find on the web just to find they only sell rap or Roger Whittacker records.

Hi

We're up in Edinburgh for a few days later this month (to see the P!nk gig at the castle) and we're wondering if anyone knows where the best places to look for Smiths/Moz records are?

I know about Avalanche(?) records at the bottom of the Royal Mile but don't know of any another good record shops. I don't want to tramp half way across town for a record shop I find on the web just to find they only sell rap or Roger Whittacker records.

There are none (0). Don't waste any time trying. Perhaps a meeting with 'Grim O'Grady' would be much more fruitful.

There's two on Leith Walk, Vinyl Villains & Elvis Shakespeare. Then there's Rippin' Records up the bridges & there's a couple more a bit more out & about.

love

Grim

Every one of them are completely crap. I would be surprised if they even have a copy of 'Ringleader of the tormentors' between them.

I very much doubt that everydayslikesunday is gonna come all the way to Edinburgh for a copy of ROTT eh? I got a Smiths bootleg at VV last year & whilst rarer items maybe few & far between, Edinburgh is not Manchester admittedly but nice finds are still to be found!

Are you coming round tomoz night, I've got a couple of DVD's to watch!

love

Grim

Thanks for that Grim,

I didn't realise you were from north of the border. We go to Edinburgh about twice a year cos we love the place. My wife particularly likes the designer clothes shops, all within easy walking distance.

I forgot about Vinyl Villains, bought a mint Strangeways lp from there a few years ago (you wouldn't believe the hassle I was having getting hold of a decent copy). I once spent over £100 in Avalance Records back in 2004, mainly Mozza 12"'s, I think, and they gave me a shoulder bag and 2 huge 'You Are The Quarry' promo posters for free. Unfortunately, ever since, their Smiths/Moz stuff has been limited and of poor quality.

Thanks for that Grim,

I didn't realise you were from north of the border. We go to Edinburgh about twice a year cos we love the place. My wife particularly likes the designer clothes shops, all within easy walking distance.

I forgot about Vinyl Villains, bought a mint Strangeways lp from there a few years ago (you wouldn't believe the hassle I was having getting hold of a decent copy). I once spent over £100 in Avalance Records back in 2004, mainly Mozza 12"'s, I think, and they gave me a shoulder bag and 2 huge 'You Are The Quarry' promo posters for free. Unfortunately, ever since, their Smiths/Moz stuff has been limited and of poor quality.

just emigrated 2 years ago, (like Morrissey) I got bored of the Manchester scene, needed new environ & new people! Manchester got stale like second hand smoke! :)

love

Grim

Thanks for that Grim,

Try The MacArthur Glen shopping centre in Livingston. Designer shops at low prices. You'll find no record shops in Scotland selling anything of worth Morrissey/Smiths-wise.

oh & the Oxfam record shop in Stockbridge is well worth 1/2 an hour of anyones time!

love

Grim

Try The MacArthur Glen shopping centre in Livingston. Designer shops at low prices. You'll find no record shops in Scotland selling anything of worth Morrissey/Smiths-wise.

We're coming up mainly for the concert, but also cos we love spending long weekends in Edinburgh. If I find any Smith/Moz items then all the better, if not, it certainly won't spoil our trip.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Another shop that might be worth trying is Hog's Head on south clerk street.
It's a bit like Vinyl Villains

http://www.hogs-head.com/

Anything else you want to know about Edinburgh,feel free to ask

Avoid....why? I am intrigued, what is so bad about it.

I'll give Hogs head a try. thank you.

I've just noticed that there is a record fair on this Saturday which is annoying as we don't fly in until Sunday!! Please tell me that it is usual complete pants so I won't feel so bad

Last edited:
Avoid....why? I am intrigued, what is so bad about it.

Well,if you're idea of fun is wondering around a soul-less shopping "mall" fighting off slum mums to get some hideously garish Versace "designer" garments then,maybe. just maybe,you'd have a ball.Otherwise,don't bother.

The record fair,sorry to say,would have been a MUCH better option.
Have a great time in Auld Reekie and if you need to know any "insider tips",feel free to ask away

If I found anything that would fit in the Morrissey top 100 which is currently being created I would be very happy, but chances are, I'll probably only find dog eared copies of Suedehead or Smiths cds on WEA. I am very jealous of Beau, where does he find such rare treasures. It makes my collection seem pitiful!

Edinburgh 1 day and counting.

Good hunting if any of you are off to the record fair.

Back
Top Bottom