My Pix from L.A. Depeche Mode Convention 6/24/07

Any Second Now is one of my favorite Martin Vocals...I remember it took me quite some time before I realized that Somebody and It Doesn't Matter weren't the first Martin vocals...although for some reason, Dave and Martin both would sing Shouldn't Have Done That live......If the info I saw on the DM-Live website is correct, he's never sung that one live, even in the early days...

Boys Say Go, I Sometimes I Wish I Was Dead, What's Your Name?...are pure cheese...But I like them anyway...actually I like Speak And Spell as one of my top DM five...I've always like New Life...Dreaming Of Me is underrated lyrically...and of course the B-Sides Shout And Ice Machine are two of the Best Vince Clarke DM songs...

My Secret Garden and The Sun And The Rainfall are just epic...Leave In Silence is probably the first really good single they had with some depth...See You always sounded better live and a highlight for me of the Live In Hamburg DVD (If you don't have the DVD..you really are missing a treat)...I never cared much for Satellite or Monument..but they are decent enough songs...A Photograph Of You is cheesy pop (According to Alan, anyway) but was one of of my early favorites...The Meaning Of Love is definitely cheese..especially after all these years...Nothing To Fear is still my favorite instrumental...Would be much cooler to open with that then some of the other stuff they used lately to open their shows...Shouldn't Have Done That is probably their first "poliitical song"...I have some early TV show they performed it on...

I've always felt Love, In Itself is their most undderated single...never heard it on the radio hear..except once on Valentine's Day people were requesting songs with the word Love In it...More Than A Party perhaps their cheesiest song ever...but it's fun and still catchy...Imagine if they had kept it after Black Celebration tour and played it during The Masses Tour....I've always hate the stomach growling sound on Pipeline...but other than that it's not a bad song...Everything Counts was definitely their first Big Song and was only surpassed later by Never Let Me Down Again (Still, I was happy they finally brought it back..and annoyed that nobody at the show in LA seemed to enjoy it)....Two Minute Warning is still one of my favorites...Shows That Alan was more than just an added hand, and would become the backbone of the band in later years...Not a big fan of Shame or Landscape Is Changing, But Told You So...Definitiely my favorite from the album...I really thought Dave Gahan was hitting his head on the amplifier when I would watch the Hamburg video years ago....And Then definitely one of the first inspirational lyrics from Martin Gore...Even Alan said he thought of re-working it and using it on The Devotional Tour...

Sum up songs that would work great now...
Ice Machine
Any Second Now
Leave In Silence
My Secret Garden
The Sun And The Rainfall
Told You So
In Your Memory (My favorite Alan Wilder song)

Unlesss I'm wrong...Some Bizarre Version was recorded before they got a deal with Mute?

What they should do is do a tour for "The Best"...and finally bring back some of those old songs

Speak and Spell is a great album. I dont care how cheesy Boys Say Go is, I still enjoy those songs. I love early DM! A Broken Frame has alot of good songs too. I didnt know that Live in Hamburg was released on DVD? I only own it on VHS....I think Satellite is really good song. Cheesy Pop, Ha ha! I still love A photograph Of You.... I dont think The meaning of love is bad at all, its one of my favorites. The video is worse than the song lol Is there any video online of them performing Shouldnt have done that? I would like to see that! I agree, Told You So has to be my favorite song on CTA. Im going to have to watch Live in Hamburg again. All i remember is Daves dancing lol

Sun and the Rainfall would definately fit in now...also i think Love In Itself and dangerous would sound good too.

Yes, I believe Photographic was made for the Some Bizarre compiliation before Daniel Miller discovered them.

I really wish they would do a best of tour....it would be easy on them too because they wouldnt even have to make a new album! lol Whatever they choose, I am happy with, as long as they never stop :p:D

Speak and Spell is a great album. I dont care how cheesy Boys Say Go is, I still enjoy those songs. I love early DM! A Broken Frame has alot of good songs too. I didnt know that Live in Hamburg was released on DVD? I only own it on VHS....I think Satellite is really good song. Cheesy Pop, Ha ha! I still love A photograph Of You.... I dont think The meaning of love is bad at all, its one of my favorites. The video is worse than the song lol Is there any video online of them performing Shouldnt have done that? I would like to see that! I agree, Told You So has to be my favorite song on CTA. Im going to have to watch Live in Hamburg again. All i remember is Daves dancing lol

Sun and the Rainfall would definately fit in now...also i think Love In Itself and dangerous would sound good too.

Yes, I believe Photographic was made for the Some Bizarre compiliation before Daniel Miller discovered them.

I really wish they would do a best of tour....it would be easy on them too because they wouldnt even have to make a new album! lol Whatever they choose, I am happy with, as long as they dont ever stop :p:D

Just because it's cheese..doesn't mean it's not good What's Your Name..I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead (Vince Clarke is the Master)..I'll take Photographic over Behind The Wheel anyday...

Oh yeah..I love A Broken Frame too...just not as much as Speak And Spell and The others...Satelitte and Monument...are a bit slow for me...but I still like the album better than Exciter..and perhaps just a tad less than Ultra...A Photograph Of You is still one of my favorites..It I had to pick the lowest single of the early years, it still would be Meaning Of Love..See You and Leave In Silence are a lot better.....

I'll have to find my MPG of Live In Hamburg..that DVD is just awesome (It's a UK Release only)...thanks Sire for editing the damn thing in the first place...When it was released on video...Sire edited it from 17 songs down to 11 (Just like Devotional)...and Mute UK edited two songs from the actual 19 that were performed (Puppets and Ice Machine)....So what's missing from the US Version...Two Minute Warning, New Life, Leave In Silence, Shame, See You, Shout...

I can rip the audio for you ASAP, if you'd like that...I think I got Shouldn't Have Done That From You Tube..but it might be here on my HD..I'll check..if it is..I'm upload......I think Pleasure Little Treasure is the last b-side they performed live (not counting the instrumental intros)...In the early days they played a lot of B-sides..I remember people on a forum begging and pleading and hoping they would finally play But Not Tonight on the last tour...but I don't think it will ever happen.....They could have at least stuck it on their Best Of Videos...

Back
Top Bottom