My Pix from L.A. Depeche Mode Convention 6/24/07

yeah ETS 04 is on there. it is missing alot of songs from 81-85 and 86-98. yeah, theres videos for Goodnight Lovers and John the Revelator.

I dont know, i guess there cant be a complete best of album because theres just too many songs. They did that complete Dm on Itunes thing...

If only they would relase Strange too, Too Strange, and Some Great Videos on dvd.

I've always wanted to go to one of these.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Monique

yeah ETS 04 is on there. it is missing alot of songs from 81-85 and 86-98. yeah, theres videos for Goodnight Lovers and John the Revelator.

I dont know, i guess there cant be a complete best of album because theres just too many songs. They did that complete Dm on Itunes thing...

If only they would relase Strange too, Too Strange, and Some Great Videos on dvd.

They could have and should have done a double disc release...same with the DVD..i mean titling it VOLUME 1 implies there's going to be a volume 2...but their website said no...so what was the point?...I mean I've always liked New Life, but I really don't think it belongs on Best Of at the expense of other great songs like Blasphemous Rumors, Somebody, and A Question Of Lust, World In My Eyes (Which I think is the best song from Violator)....etc...

Some Great Videos was re-released in THE UK Only as Some Great Videos 81-85 (Thanks a lot Warner Bros!), Never Let Me Down Again and Behind The Wheel's videos are longer on Strange, PIMPF is NOT on Videos 86-98+, and neither are Halo and Clean.....

They still irritated me by putting Halo and Policy of Truth as BONUSes on Devotional DVD and they still didn't put the actual performance of Death's Door..

BTW, They "Claim" they have lost a lot of the concert footage from 101, but I would not be surprised if it doesn't re-surface when they issue that on Blue-Ray in the next five years....

The Complete thing on Itunes pisses me off because I want to download some of the earlier live tracks from The Some Great Reward Tour (Two Minute Warning, Ice Machine, Shame) and they won't allow you to buy them seperately..you have to pay $150 for the whole thing...which I won't do....because I really don't want 43 mixes of I Feel You and Personal Jesus

They could have and should have done a double disc release...same with the DVD..i mean titling it VOLUME 1 implies there's going to be a volume 2...but their website said no...so what was the point?...I mean I've always liked New Life, but I really don't think it belongs on Best Of at the expense of other great songs like Blasphemous Rumors, Somebody, and A Question Of Lust, World In My Eyes (Which I think is the best song from Violator)....etc...

Some Great Videos was re-released in THE UK Only as Some Great Videos 81-85 (Thanks a lot Warner Bros!), Never Let Me Down Again and Behind The Wheel's videos are longer on Strange, PIMPF is NOT on Videos 86-98+, and neither are Halo and Clean.....

They still irritated me by putting Halo and Policy of Truth as BONUSes on Devotional DVD and they still didn't put the actual performance of Death's Door..

BTW, They "Claim" they have lost a lot of the concert footage from 101, but I would not be surprised if it doesn't re-surface when they issue that on Blue-Ray in the next five years....

The Complete thing on Itunes pisses me off because I want to download some of the earlier live tracks from The Some Great Reward Tour (Two Minute Warning, Ice Machine, Shame) and they won't allow you to buy them seperately..you have to pay $150 for the whole thing...which I won't do....because I really don't want 43 mixes of I Feel You and Personal Jesus

Deaths door would be awesome to see!

True about 101.....It sux not having the full concert.

I tried to fix this. I never noticed that Dave Gahan and Rob Halford wear the same clothes. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah! I remember the Boys Say Go chant. I remember saying to myself, "are they saying boys say go?" lol Id rather hear that than the French fans singing the "oooohhh ohhh ohhhh ohh" thing after every song. It would be nice to hear dave sing songs like leave in silence or shake the disease. I would looove to hear Martin do it doesnt matter, Things you said or I want you now. Things you said is one of my favorite Dm songs.
As much as I like the "popular" songs like PJ or ETS, I wouldnt mind if they didnt play them and added older songs.

I've never been a fan of Personal Jesus or I Feel You...It's basicallly the same chords and the same lyrics repeated over and over again...and they extend the songs to about 6 or 7 minutes...

Perhaps they could play 2 or 3 songs instead of just 1...I've always thought Rush was one of the best songs from Faith And Devotion..although because of I Feel You, i put off buying that CD for years...it just didn't sound like Depeche Mode and I thought...they had just completely altered their sound...

My Secret Garden and Stories Of Old would be great to hear with the way they sound now...

Nice pix Jay. You really captured the mood of LA music conventions. In all seriousness, that pick of the fat greaser holding a bud light with stains on his shirt was classic! That's what it's all about my man!!!

Ah...wish I coulda been there...

Excellent pic of Murray Lightburn btw

The Sun And The Rainfall is and forever will remain my favourite Mode song of all time.

I've never been a fan of Personal Jesus or I Feel You...It's basicallly the same chords and the same lyrics repeated over and over again...and they extend the songs to about 6 or 7 minutes...

Perhaps they could play 2 or 3 songs instead of just 1...I've always thought Rush was one of the best songs from Faith And Devotion..although because of I Feel You, i put off buying that CD for years...it just didn't sound like Depeche Mode and I thought...they had just completely altered their sound...

My Secret Garden and Stories Of Old would be great to hear with the way they sound now...

Personal Jesus is overplayed and I Feel You is overrated and overplayed as well. Its not one of my favorites really.

There are definately more brilliant songs on SOFAD like Rush, Mercy In You, Higher Love, One Caress...I wish they would play more songs from SOFAD, besides IYR and WIMS.

Stories of Old would be amazing...Sun and the Rainfall too...

Personal Jesus is overplayed and I Feel You is overrated and overplayed as well. Its not one of my favorites really.

There are definately more brilliant songs on SOFAD like Rush, Mercy In You, Higher Love, One Caress...I wish they would play more songs from SOFAD, besides IYR and WIMS.

Stories of Old would be amazing...Sun and the Rainfall too...

I never have understood why they never played Stories Of Old on that Some Great Reward tour..It Doesn't Matter was played I think ONE time that tour too....instead I think they brought back Puppets (Always sounded better live), Leave In Silence (great move), and kept Shame (not one of my favorites from Construction Time Again)...however....

I think bringing back Boys Say Go for The Black Celebration Tour and dropping Shout! was a big mistake....Shout & Photographic are probably the best written Vince Clarke DM songs...

The Sun & The Rainfall is one of my favorite DM songs...It's the only one I actually took the time to attempt to play on the piano...

Re:Songs Of Faith And Devotion....

I like Walking In My Shoes...but it annoys me that it's still part of the main set...good song, but not one of their all time best...I always liked Useless but it never got played after "The Singles Tour"...it's still a shame that most of the songs from Ultra (Which I like better than Exciter) never got played because they didn't tour for that album..and because everything is pre-programmed they have to play almost the exact same songs in the exact same order every night...

Last edited:
I never have understood why they never played Stories Of Old on that Some Great Reward tour..It Doesn't Matter was played I think ONE time that tour too....instead I think they brought back Puppets (Always sounded better live), Leave In Silence (great move), and kept Shame (not one of my favorites from Construction Time Again)...however....

I think bringing back Boys Say Go for The Black Celebration Tour and dropping Shout! was a big mistake....Shout & Photographic are probably the best written Vince Clarke DM songs...

The Sun & The Rainfall is one of my favorite DM songs...It's the only one I actually took the time to attempt to play on the piano...

Re:Songs Of Faith And Devotion....

I like Walking In My Shoes...but it annoys me that it's still part of the main set...good song, but not one of their all time best...I always liked Useless but it never got played after "The Singles Tour"...it's still a shame that most of the songs from Ultra (Which I like better than Exciter) never got played because they didn't tour for that album..and because everything is pre-programmed they have to play almost the exact same songs in the exact same order every night...

Walking in My Shoes sounded excellent when i saw them during Touring The Angel. I remember singing along to it with the British man next to me. That was such a good time! :D

Ultra is a great album. The songs i would like to hear: Insight, Love Theives, Bottom line, Free state.

Exciter took a while to get used to.

Walking in My Shoes sounded excellent when i saw them during Touring The Angel. I remember singing along to it with the British man next to me. That was such a good time! :D

Ultra is a great album. The songs i would like to hear: Insight, Love Theives, Bottom line, Free state.

Exciter took a while to get used to.

I've always thought Walking In My Shoes has a vibe similar to Stripped...yes very good song..much better than I Feel You..which is repetative, and has virtually no substance to its lyrics...

Ultra is just awesome...I love Love Thieves..and Bottom Line is one of my fav Martin songs...I like it better than Home..I think he played it live a few times on the Exciter Tour...

I haven't listened to Exciter since 2002 I believe...I found even the best tracks on it would have been just filler on some of their earlier albums...

Playing The Angel is definitely their best album since Alan left

I've always thought Walking In My Shoes has a vibe similar to Stripped...yes very good song..much better than I Feel You..which is repetative, and has virtually no substance to its lyrics...

Ultra is just awesome...I love Love Thieves..and Bottom Line is one of my fav Martin songs...I like it better than Home..I think he played it live a few times on the Exciter Tour...

I haven't listened to Exciter since 2002 I believe...I found even the best tracks on it would have been just filler on some of their earlier albums...

Playing The Angel is definitely their best album since Alan left

Alot better than IFY...Ultra is awesome, theres so many good songs. Martins vocals on the bottom line are amazing! It has different feel too, still DM though. Unlike Exciter which was just rushed, i think. I dont know, its probably the album i least listen to. The only songs I really like are Shine and Freelove...

PTA is brilliant, so was the tour. I wish they played Lillian. I was happy when they added Nothing Impossible, eventhough they didnt play it at my show.

Now, im looking foward to Daves solo LP and tour. Paper Monsters was OK but this next album is going to be so much better.

Alot better than IFY...Ultra is awesome, theres so many good songs. Martins vocals on the bottom line are amazing! It has different feel too, still DM though. Unlike Exciter which was just rushed, i think. I dont know, its probably the album i least listen to. The only songs I really like are Shine and Freelove...

PTA is brilliant, so was the tour. I wish they played Lillian. I was happy when they added Nothing Impossible, eventhough they didnt play it at my show.

Now, im looking foward to Daves solo LP and tour. Paper Monsters was OK but this next album is going to be so much better.

Well, he proved he could write songs..Suffer Well was their best single in quite a while...

Lillian is my favorite track from the moment I first played it...I wonder if it's about Martin's ex-wife...Nothing's Impossible sounded much better live...Like Photograhpic, I feel the studio version is too slow and not umphy enough

Some of the best tracks on Exciter would have fit well on a Broken Frame and/or Black Celebration...

I still think Leave In Silence would have been a perfect fit on the Exciter tour...now if they'd only play See You..but I think they think it's cheesy now...

Well, he proved he could write songs..Suffer Well was their best single in quite a while...

Lillian is my favorite track from the moment I first played it...I wonder if it's about Martin's ex-wife...Nothing's Impossible sounded much better live...Like Photograhpic, I feel the studio version is too slow and not umphy enough

Some of the best tracks on Exciter would have fit well on a Broken Frame and/or Black Celebration...

I still think Leave In Silence would have been a perfect fit on the Exciter tour...now if they'd only play See You..but I think they think it's cheesy now...

All three of Daves songs on PTA are good....yay another Lillian fan! Its my favorite on PTA. I would do anything to hear that one live! I remember hearing Lillian was the name of one of Martins guitars ....and I wouldnt doubt the song is about his ex-wife.

The Photographic (some bizzarre version) is way better than the original, which is too slow like you said.

Too bad DM think alot of their earlier stuff is cheesy lol There are alot of gems there! :D

All three of Daves songs on PTA are good....yay another Lillian fan! Its my favorite on PTA. I would do anything to hear that one live! I remember hearing Lillian was the name of one of Martins guitars ....and I wouldnt doubt the song is about his ex-wife.

The Photographic (some bizzarre version) is way better than the original, which is too slow like you said.

Too bad DM think alot of their earlier stuff is cheesy lol There are alot of gems there! :D

Any Second Now is one of my favorite Martin Vocals...I remember it took me quite some time before I realized that Somebody and It Doesn't Matter weren't the first Martin vocals...although for some reason, Dave and Martin both would sing Shouldn't Have Done That live......If the info I saw on the DM-Live website is correct, he's never sung that one live, even in the early days...

Boys Say Go, I Sometimes I Wish I Was Dead, What's Your Name?...are pure cheese...But I like them anyway...actually I like Speak And Spell as one of my top DM five...I've always like New Life...Dreaming Of Me is underrated lyrically...and of course the B-Sides Shout And Ice Machine are two of the Best Vince Clarke DM songs...

My Secret Garden and The Sun And The Rainfall are just epic...Leave In Silence is probably the first really good single they had with some depth...See You always sounded better live and a highlight for me of the Live In Hamburg DVD (If you don't have the DVD..you really are missing a treat)...I never cared much for Satellite or Monument..but they are decent enough songs...A Photograph Of You is cheesy pop (According to Alan, anyway) but was one of of my early favorites...The Meaning Of Love is definitely cheese..especially after all these years...Nothing To Fear is still my favorite instrumental...Would be much cooler to open with that then some of the other stuff they used lately to open their shows...Shouldn't Have Done That is probably their first "poliitical song"...I have some early TV show they performed it on...

I've always felt Love, In Itself is their most undderated single...never heard it on the radio hear..except once on Valentine's Day people were requesting songs with the word Love In it...More Than A Party perhaps their cheesiest song ever...but it's fun and still catchy...Imagine if they had kept it after Black Celebration tour and played it during The Masses Tour....I've always hate the stomach growling sound on Pipeline...but other than that it's not a bad song...Everything Counts was definitely their first Big Song and was only surpassed later by Never Let Me Down Again (Still, I was happy they finally brought it back..and annoyed that nobody at the show in LA seemed to enjoy it)....Two Minute Warning is still one of my favorites...Shows That Alan was more than just an added hand, and would become the backbone of the band in later years...Not a big fan of Shame or Landscape Is Changing, But Told You So...Definitiely my favorite from the album...I really thought Dave Gahan was hitting his head on the amplifier when I would watch the Hamburg video years ago....And Then definitely one of the first inspirational lyrics from Martin Gore...Even Alan said he thought of re-working it and using it on The Devotional Tour...

Sum up songs that would work great now...
Ice Machine
Any Second Now
Leave In Silence
My Secret Garden
The Sun And The Rainfall
Told You So
In Your Memory (My favorite Alan Wilder song)

Unlesss I'm wrong...Some Bizarre Version was recorded before they got a deal with Mute?

What they should do is do a tour for "The Best"...and finally bring back some of those old songs

Back
Top Bottom