Kele Okereke and Patrick Wolf criticise Moz's Canadian boycott.

I have to say, I've gone right off Bloc Party. Couldn't get into their second album either.

whoa now! Patrick Wolf is hardly just a "weirdo with orange hair".. he is in fact one of the few, maybe even the only really original and interesting songwriter and performer of my generation. i think his music is unique and fresh without being obscure.. all his three albums are amazing and he´s only 23!

besides, he recently posted an entry in his diary when he was touring the states and wrote:

"My band fly home to London and I will stay in Los Angeles to recharge and continue the promotion of the magic position here. I have never been to a city where you can tell so much that earthquakes are living underneath the tarmac.. I was hearing all kinds of voices in my hotel room, I stayed on Hollywood, and a big picture of Le Morrissey was on the sunset boulevard, It was so comforting, like having buckingham palace in the centre of London, I slapped my 16 year old self for being a snob about this man. Like the first time I tasted wandsworth youngs ale and complained about it being flat and warm."

i thought that was sweet..

I agree :) I'm loving Patrick at the moment, I just added Lycanthropy to my collection and haven't stopped playing it for the past week, such gorgeous music and such an interesting and amusing guy. I was pretty pleased to read that quote too, I'm glad he's come to his senses concering Moz!

blaaah....blaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!! we belong to the blank generation, there's no way around it...and patrick wolf cannot change that, nor has he ever even come close to it

well if you feel like that about it, fair enough.. i really love Patrick Wolf and i think it´s a bit of an easy excuse to say we belong to the blank generation (especially because that´s obviously not an original thought) instead of trying to be creative and original yourself..

I agree :) I'm loving Patrick at the moment, I just added Lycanthropy to my collection and haven't stopped playing it for the past week, such gorgeous music and such an interesting and amusing guy. I was pretty pleased to read that quote too, I'm glad he's come to his senses concering Moz!

Lycanthropy is wonderful.. the first Patrick Wolf song i ever heard was Paris and it remains one of my favourites to this day.. my favourite album is probably Wind In The Wires though.. i´m not even that big a fan of the magic position. it´s very interesting and there are some songs i really love (Bluebells, Magpie, Augustine), but generally i prefer his darker stuff..
Lycanthropy as an album is a bit of a grower, at least that´s how i felt about it, but To The Lighthouse, A Boy Like Me, Bloodbeat; Childcatcher are just such fantastic songs!

yeah i heard! i work very closely with a humane society from Nis. I am appauled though at the way that the authorities are treating stray dogs though...it is disgusting. you're from belgrade right??? the stray dog situation doesn't seem much better over there either. i'd suggest donating money to those self-run no-kill shelters...they're all such amazing people...and it seems that the majority in serbia regards them as lunatics for wanting to save animals...truly sad!!!!
I agree, I've always been angry because of the way stray dogs are treated! I'm especially annoyed with people who go on about them being dangerous and what not... it's always 'ooooh, they will bite some child!' and crap like that. I've met a lot of stray dogs and never, never in my life have any of them tried to bite me! I've never seen a stray dog try to bite anyone. On the contrary, they don't even bark, they're usually following you and acting cuddly as if begging to get a piece of food. When I was a child, stray dogs especially seemed to be fond of me, I've had several stray dogs follow me around (even though I had no food to give them). The only dogs who bite are those who have been trained to do so. So, beware of the dogs' owners. :p

However, I know some people who are very anti-dog, and they always say that dogs hate them and always try to bite them. Like a neighbour of mine, who always claims that dogs have bitten her several times. :confused: Mind you, she is a very paranoid person...for instance, she is afraid to talk on the phone because she thinks the state security service is listening to her conversations (which could be quite possible if she was a person of any kind of importance LOL) Come to think of it, it's perfectly possible that dogs have bitten her... people who are pathologically afraid of dogs will probably provoke that reaction - fear produces the reaction similar to aggression, and the animal feels it and, seeing the person as the enemy, attacks to protect itself!

I'm moving house at the moment, and as a result of that, came across a batch of NMEs from last year. Being the chronic procrastinator that I am, I thought I'd have a read of some of them and see if there was anything interesting that I might want to keep. In an issue from December 2006 I found some comments made during an interview with Kele Okereke of Bloc Party (a self-confessed Moz-fan) and Patrick Wolf (that weirdo with the orange hair.) I checked to see if anyone had posted them on here but apparently not, so...

NME: "You're both sensitive boys, so let's talk about Morrissey and his boycott of Canada."

PW: "I have friends in Canada and they just thought he was very stupid. Some vegans see themselves as so civilised, living in a world where we can afford to eat vegetables all the time, but with the Innuit people, their lives depend on clubbing seals...I know how to kill animals, I was taught on a farm, and there are parts of society that are still like that, so for Morrissey to go in and be extremely civilised is very arrogant of him."

KO: "That's the problem with Morrissey. Everything I've read about his character recently has confirmed that he's quite a bitter person. People in Britain have so much respect and love for him, so why can he not at least appreciate that? I think he was a great lyricist but it sickens me a bit to read about what he purports to believe because he's not really living in the real world, is he?"

PO: "I think it's fine not living in the real world as long as you don't attack the real world for being real."

Some interesting points raised there, not all of which are unfair. I think there are times when Morrissey is very disconnected from reality, in fact probably most of his life. This is what makes him a great musician and poet, but not so great a social commentator.

Coiff.

a world does not have to be ugly and cruel in order to be "real."
Plenty of societies are vegetarian and they are quite real. I don't kill or eat any animals and I am quite real... and almost anyone can do that. As for Inuits -
First of all their real problem is not the Morrissey boycott, its global warming... which the death camp meat industry is creating... sure thats off topic but I don't see any of these seal clubbers or the people "keeping up the tradition" (of murder) attacking the meat industry for creating green house gases or driving smaller cars or walking or protesting or desperately seeking funding for alternative fuel... If they want to address the Inuits real problem then they have a big job ahead of them and they will have to make big changes in their own lifestyle... but NO, its much much easier to just bitch about Morrissey... seriously.... :mad:
Now... back to my main point...
Inuits have nothing to do with Jay-Z rockin another fur coat... and Jay Z and the "fashionable" backs are where those animals skins end up. Inuits fish and move around and use every part of the animals that they kill. It's such a different manner and amount of killing that I daresay that Inuits killing seals is not the reason that Moz boycotted and in fact has nothing to do with the issue - or very little.

Seems to me that Morrissey lives in a much realer world than most people... esp. these people who condemn any compassion or even common sense with slander saying peoples heads are in the clouds or that they are borderline... IN FACT... I am going to let Morrissey answer this post himself... if I may be so bold as to quote the man... (true he is not retorting this particular slander, but I feel that the root observation can be applied to this retarded person who is accusing Morrisey of being bitter and not in the real world... once again someone is put down for the very qualities that make them beautiful, compassionate, and lovely.)

eh hem...

"As an animal protectionist, even I feel humbled and useless when I read of Keith Mann's life and risks, No matter who says what, it is such as Keith who are the real heroes of modern society. There can be nothing brave about going to Iraq to kill civilians - stay here.
in England, and face the slaughterhouses of the Death Industry, and their factory farms and their torture laboratories of dread. The Daily Mail terms pro-vivisectionists as 'boffins' and denounces anti-torture activists as 'extremists' - thankfully some of us aren't so dim.

How vicious life would be without visionaries such as Keith, and the bravery und unified vision of the ALF. One way or another books such as Keith's make us more aware of ourselves because they tell us what we are - or aren't - doing to help other beings. That so many corporations and power-maniacs openly and eagerly despise animal rights activists is evidence of the guilt of those corporations. What else could it be?"
MORRISSEY

If Morrissey does not live in the "real world' well then it doesn't really matter because at this rate there is not going to be ANY world at all... that is unless people start getting "real" and I suggest they take Morrissey's cue and maybe start listening to him rather than blowing one another up. The death industry - in my view - is where the violence starts... then we all act it out. you are what you eat... those animals suffer and freak out when they die... and people consume that fear and sorrow and panic... and act it out...
or so i believe.

Hi there. Long time listener, brand new poster to thsi board. Here's confrontational first post...

Just curious here about why the Inuit are getting the brunt of the blame for the seal hunt in Canada. I thought it was common knowledge that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (a dep't of the Gov't of Canada) is responsible for determining how many seals can be killed, at what age seals can be killed and in what manner these seals can be killed.

The largest percentage of seal hunt licences handed out annually goes to the folks in Newfoundland, not the Inuit up north.

And if I may toss in my own concern here, and I don't know if this is the right thread for it (forgive me), why is it not okay for Morrissey to tour Canada on account of the seal hunt, but it's okay for him to tour the US when that country is engaged in a "civilian hunt" in Iraq? In the last few weeks, reports of hundreds of civilians getting killed by US troops while Americans get to sit cozy in their padded chairs in venues all over the country, all pleased as punch while Moz delivers the hits.

Parden me for being totally baffled at Morrissey's priority here.

Hi there. Long time listener, brand new poster to thsi board. Here's confrontational first post...

Just curious here about why the Inuit are getting the brunt of the blame for the seal hunt in Canada. I thought it was common knowledge that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (a dep't of the Gov't of Canada) is responsible for determining how many seals can be killed, at what age seals can be killed and in what manner these seals can be killed.

The largest percentage of seal hunt licences handed out annually goes to the folks in Newfoundland, not the Inuit up north.

And if I may toss in my own concern here, and I don't know if this is the right thread for it (forgive me), why is it not okay for Morrissey to tour Canada on account of the seal hunt, but it's okay for him to tour the US when that country is engaged in a "civilian hunt" in Iraq? In the last few weeks, reports of hundreds of civilians getting killed by US troops while Americans get to sit cozy in their padded chairs in venues all over the country, all pleased as punch while Moz delivers the hits.

Parden me for being totally baffled at Morrissey's priority here.

uuughhh ok. honestly. how do we summarize this. morrissey= animal activist. canada= kills appx. 300 000 seals, 'inhumanely' (although it can be argued that there is no humane murder, to which i agree). morrissey is not a humanitarian, nor has he been involved in stopping the war in Iraq, however, he is an animal activist. he can't boycott EVERYTHING at the same time, and taking it one cause at the time is the way to go.

take 300 bucks out of your account and go see him in the states if you care about him. a little sacrifice for your favorite artist? because that's what i did and will continue to do.

Lycanthropy is wonderful.. the first Patrick Wolf song i ever heard was Paris and it remains one of my favourites to this day.. my favourite album is probably Wind In The Wires though.. i´m not even that big a fan of the magic position. it´s very interesting and there are some songs i really love (Bluebells, Magpie, Augustine), but generally i prefer his darker stuff..
Lycanthropy as an album is a bit of a grower, at least that´s how i felt about it, but To The Lighthouse, A Boy Like Me, Bloodbeat; Childcatcher are just such fantastic songs!

I agree, I love the darker stuff too. I listen to Wind in the Wires a lot, I just never seem to grow tired of it. I love the kind of eerie atmosphere to it and the way the songs progress through the different moods of the album, I can perfectly imagine him in Cornwall writing it all, he captured that wild outdoors spirit perfectly. I love Ghost Song, WITW, Teignmouth and Tristan- particularly love the video for that one!

I don't actually have the Magic Position yet, I just have live versions of most the songs- it's on my wish list. Lycanthropy seems to cover such a range of styles, Childcatcher is quite scary but brilliant, I love Bloodbeat too and Paris, the Pigeon Song and Demolition. I just wish I could get to see him play live but I really don't think I will get the chance, why can't he come to the north?!

uuughhh ok. honestly. how do we summarize this. morrissey= animal activist. canada= kills appx. 300 000 seals, 'inhumanely' (although it can be argued that there is no humane murder, to which i agree). morrissey is not a humanitarian, nor has he been involved in stopping the war in Iraq, however, he is an animal activist. he can't boycott EVERYTHING at the same time, and taking it one cause at the time is the way to go.

take 300 bucks out of your account and go see him in the states if you care about him. a little sacrifice for your favorite artist? because that's what i did and will continue to do.

I know we're re-treading old ground here, but I do question the wisdom in this boycott. Yes, I do think the slaughter of seals in Canada is an horrific and arcane practice that should have been outlawed years ago, but Canadian fans are being punished for something the majority of them disagree with anyway. And it's not as though his actions are drawing huge media attention to the issue. I'm just not sure what he hopes to achieve, other than making a point? I don't disagree with this kind of activism, but the wrong people are suffering because of it. And I very much doubt that everyone is in a financial position to see him in the US.

I like Bloc Party but i do find Kele Okereke a pretentious twit

Like Morrissey, he seems to be a smart guy with something to say about the state of society, which the music press tend to spin as a bad thing.

Coiff.

Back
Top Bottom