Life is never kind, but I know what will make you smile tonight.

the judge

At least three users (or 2 and 1/2? [barenstank, Mr-Shankly, nugz]) have this line as a signature. I have it too, in other forums.
It's one of my favourite Moz lyrics and it's from one of my favourite Smiths songs.

The question is:
Why does Morrissey dislike this song these days?
The lyrics are a lot better than, say, You Have Killed Me, but that's just my point of view, isn't it?

At least three users (or 2 and 1/2? [barenstank, Mr-Shankly, nugz]) have this line as a signature. I have it too, in other forums.
It's one of my favourite Moz lyrics and it's from one of my favourite Smiths songs.

The question is:
Why does Morrissey dislike this song these days?
The lyrics are a lot better than, say, You Have Killed Me, but that's just my point of view, isn't it?

actually mr-shankly is an account i just started today because i didn't like this name but then looking back i thought it was stupid to start a new account just because of that.

but it is a great line.

I was also very perplexed when I read that "I don't owe you anything" makes him shudder.

Morrissey may finds some old lyrics he has written in the past aren't good enough or no longer relate to.
Some of the lyrics may evoke bad moment of his life, perhaps...

I think I read somewhere that he finds the lines "and in the darkened underpass, I thought oh God my chance has come at last, but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask" really painful to sing now because they are just too personal. This just makes me love There Is A Light That Never Goes Out even more.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that he finds the lines "and in the darkened underpass, I thought oh God my chance has come at last, but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask" really painful to sing now because they are just too personal. This just makes me love There Is A Light That Never Goes Out even more.

I love this line; it has huge personal meaning for me... another story for another day. But don't we just love him for his pain...he has been so generous in sharing it! xxx

I love this line; it has huge personal meaning for me... another story for another day. But don't we just love him for his pain...he has been so generous in sharing it! xxx

When I think "I'm alone" or "He/She doesn't love me" I remember that Moz is or has been alone as well.

that´s really interesting.. where did he say that?
the song has a very strong personal meaning to me as well.. and yes, that makes it even more special, and i admire morrissey that he still sings it live nevertheless because he probably KNOWS the song means so much to so any people..

I was also very perplexed when I read that "I don't owe you anything" makes him shudder.

does anyone have any idea what exactly this song means?
sometimes i think of a prostitute when i hear it...

i think morrissey had a lot of emotions to be released in his early songs when he was young so i can understand why he may not want to sing them today

Back
Top Bottom