An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

Its cream your jeans time, now if only someone would share the monster demos

Multitracks

Superman - http://www.mediafire.com/download/9vv4lpecvaz09av/REM-SM(LR).rar
These Days - http://www.mediafire.com/download/gsz5oo4z9vd1pj6/REM-TD(LR).rar
Stand - http://www.mediafire.com/download/iuv4c14f268od2a/REM-S(LR).rar
End of the world- http://www.mediafire.com/download/h8ipwxihcqeh4c5/REM-ITEOTWAWKI(LR).rar
Driver 8 - http://www.mediafire.com/download/p0694t0ikbiaf0f/REM-D8(LR).rar
Living well -http://www.mediafire.com/download/tj72n1k7cio369n/REM-LWitBR(LR).rar
Kenneth -http://www.mediafire.com/download/664gxk64utzqob9/R.E.M_-_Whats_the_Frequency_Kenneth.rar

I wouldn't count on it, unless they come from someone in the band. The only guy who has them will never share them, he's too busy bragging about what he has that we don't.

I'm a big Depeche fan and its the same on their fan sites, people have unreleased and uncirculated stuff but would rather brag about it than share any info
I wouldn't count on it, unless they come from someone in the band. The only guy who has them will never share them, he's too busy bragging about what he has that we don't.

i visited Wuxtry in athens last week and dug through their rare rem singles box. lots and lots of great stuff, but almost all of it was wildly overpriced. the only thing i picked up was the 2000 fan club 7".

Discussion topic: why is R.E.M.'s whole discog so symmetrical?

We've all noticed that their career is divided into three eras of five albums each (IRS, biggest stardom, and post-berry). Now, why do EACH OF THOSE ERAS FOLLOW EXACTLY THE SAME PATTERN?

First, an album that tunes it down a bit from the preceding stuff (Murmur after early years, Green after Document, Up after New Adventures).
Then an album that expands on the style a bit, managing to be pretty similar musically but often some sort of different mood - an alternate take on the first album if you will.
The third album takes the style of the first two to a logical extreme. (Fables really emphasized the slow, folky Southern mysticism, Automatic for the People made a whole album out of the quiet and sad songs that popped up on Green and Out of Time, Around the Sun was pretty much pure electronic pop.)

These three albums form a trilogy.

The next album is a "return to rock". Lifes Rich Pageant, Monster, Accelerate ... I don't even need to expand on this.
The following album keeps the rock styles, but expands on them by adding more diversity in styles and a longer running time. Most perfectly exemplified by NAiHF, which was actually written on the Monster Tour and had a feeling of "no editing," but each of the other two fits this archetype as well.

Now, my attempt to to describe the attributes of each album in the initial "trilogy" of an era may seem a bit forced, but there is pretty clearly always a quieter trilogy followed by a "return to rock" album and a longer album that expands on its attributes. How did this happen? I don't believe they could have planned it.

Discussion topic: why is R.E.M.'s whole discog so symmetrical?

We've all noticed that their career is divided into three eras of five albums each (IRS, biggest stardom, and post-berry). Now, why do EACH OF THOSE ERAS FOLLOW EXACTLY THE SAME PATTERN?

First, an album that tunes it down a bit from the preceding stuff (Murmur after early years, Green after Document, Up after New Adventures).
Then an album that expands on the style a bit, managing to be pretty similar musically but often some sort of different mood - an alternate take on the first album if you will.
The third album takes the style of the first two to a logical extreme. (Fables really emphasized the slow, folky Southern mysticism, Automatic for the People made a whole album out of the quiet and sad songs that popped up on Green and Out of Time, Around the Sun was pretty much pure electronic pop.)

These three albums form a trilogy.

The next album is a "return to rock". Lifes Rich Pageant, Monster, Accelerate ... I don't even need to expand on this.
The following album keeps the rock styles, but expands on them by adding more diversity in styles and a longer running time. Most perfectly exemplified by NAiHF, which was actually written on the Monster Tour and had a feeling of "no editing," but each of the other two fits this archetype as well.

Now, my attempt to to describe the attributes of each album in the initial "trilogy" of an era may seem a bit forced, but there is pretty clearly always a quieter trilogy followed by a "return to rock" album and a longer album that expands on its attributes. How did this happen? I don't believe they could have planned it.

This is quite interesting. I never thought in those terms, but it really fits if you're so inclined, and I can only agree and find it fascinating.

As to why, I don't really think there's a necessary reason. It's just a coincidence to me that they had breaking points at every five albums and could rethink and restart, maybe using a similar mentality each of the three times. Be born or reborn, grow up, mature, depart, whatever, rinse and repeat.

If you don't believe in coincidences, then you could think the band worked so well together, so oiled up, that they always needed five albums to naturally "get ready" for the next breaking point, in kind of conscious fashion. It wouldn't be just luck, but preparation. After five, things matured in such way that we're ready for a big label; after five more, things progressed and let's change direction; after the last five, we did what we needed to do and now let's break up. That's possible.

Thanks for the insight, tho. As coincidental as I think it is, it's still a beautiful observation.

definitely a great observation. i've thought about the parallels between monster/new adventures & accelerate/collapse into now a few times before. the only thing i disagree with (and this is a very minor nit to pick) is your description of around the sun. i don't think that record is very electronic at all, and i don't see it following the pattern of up and reveal.

Yeah, that one might be just me trying to make it fit into the pattern. I guess I'd say that Up and Reveal used production, but Around the Sun was overproduced. I am a fan of Up and Reveal, but I've never really found the time to dig into Around the Sun, kind of just accepted the consensus after a few listens.

Up and Reveal sound a lot more layered and lush and bright to me, whereas AtS feels more muted and dull, kind of grey around the edges. not that it doesn't have good songs, but i think it's got a completely different feel.

My GF is getting me REMTV for Christmas. So I have to wait a month, AHHHH. Is is too early to ask anyone for MP3 RIP of the boxset? I really want to jam out. Also, are their any complete performances in the documentary? Thank you REMHEADS!!!

And then... I won't be having REMTV any time soon. The boxset is $75 at Amazon (which I'd gladly pay), but then shipping and taxes to where I live are -- brace yourself -- $79 MORE. Yes, that's more than the thing itself in pretty much nothing. I don't even want to think of that in terms of exchange. :(

My GF is getting me REMTV for Christmas. So I have to wait a month, AHHHH. Is is too early to ask anyone for MP3 RIP of the boxset? I really want to jam out. Also, are their any complete performances in the documentary? Thank you REMHEADS!!!

MP3 rip? How about rip of the videos????:thumb:

Well, the video's can all be downloaded for a reasonable price at Vimeo...but since I gather most of us listen more to music than look at it...

Well, the video's can all be downloaded for a reasonable price at Vimeo...but since I gather most of us listen more to music than look at it...

Yes! I'll wait to watch when I get the boxset for christmas. I just want the MP3 audio RIP so I can jam out in my car and on my computer. I know many of you can deliver great DVD RIPS.

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom