An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

Discussion topic: why is R.E.M.'s whole discog so symmetrical?

We've all noticed that their career is divided into three eras of five albums each (IRS, biggest stardom, and post-berry). Now, why do EACH OF THOSE ERAS FOLLOW EXACTLY THE SAME PATTERN?

First, an album that tunes it down a bit from the preceding stuff (Murmur after early years, Green after Document, Up after New Adventures).
Then an album that expands on the style a bit, managing to be pretty similar musically but often some sort of different mood - an alternate take on the first album if you will.
The third album takes the style of the first two to a logical extreme. (Fables really emphasized the slow, folky Southern mysticism, Automatic for the People made a whole album out of the quiet and sad songs that popped up on Green and Out of Time, Around the Sun was pretty much pure electronic pop.)

These three albums form a trilogy.

The next album is a "return to rock". Lifes Rich Pageant, Monster, Accelerate ... I don't even need to expand on this.
The following album keeps the rock styles, but expands on them by adding more diversity in styles and a longer running time. Most perfectly exemplified by NAiHF, which was actually written on the Monster Tour and had a feeling of "no editing," but each of the other two fits this archetype as well.

Now, my attempt to to describe the attributes of each album in the initial "trilogy" of an era may seem a bit forced, but there is pretty clearly always a quieter trilogy followed by a "return to rock" album and a longer album that expands on its attributes. How did this happen? I don't believe they could have planned it.

This is so great. You're right. Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone happen to have this show?

REM - 1984-11-21 - Nottingham, UK (pre-FM/FLAC)

I saw it here (http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/r-e-m-1984-11-21-nottingham-uk-pre-fm-flac-137211.html), but all the links are dead. Would love to track it down. It was my first REM boot, still my fave, taped on cassette from Live 105 FM in San Francisco in 1994. Brings me back! Thanks in advance. : )

Link is available until December 20, 2014
http://we.tl/usBo6fCI6s

Info:
Source info: SBD tape supplied by Tim>Adobe Audition 1.5>wav>Feurio!-CDAudio>EAC>wac>flac
This show was partially broadcast by the BBC. This is not taken from the BBC outside broadcast tapes, this is most likely taken off the soundboard used for the venue’s PA system.
Before Sitting Still, Stipe tells the audience the heel of his shoe broke off and if he can have another shoe, so someone in the crowd throws their shoe up on stage. The part broadcast by the BBC can be found on many bootlegs, including "In The Wood", "Nottingham" and "Old Man Kensey".

Disc 1:
01. Harborcoat
02. Second Guessing
03. Hyena
04. Talk About The Passion
05. West Of The Fields
06. (Don't Go Back To) Rockville
07. Auctioneer (Another Engine)
08. So. Central Rain
09. Sitting Still
10. Old Man Kensey
11. Gardening At Night
12. 9-9
13. Hey Diddle Diddle-Frogmore
14. Windout
15. Driver 8
16. Pretty Persuasion
17. Radio Free Europe
18. Little America

Disc 2:
encore 1:
01. Wendell Gee
02. 1,000,000
03. 20th Century Boy
04. Just A Touch
encore 2:
05. We Walk
06. After Hours
07. See No Evil
08. Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars)
09. Moon River

As happens every couple weeks, I'm on a huge R.E.M. kick now. "Reckoning" is playing as we speak.

I need to see the entire documentary. Every time it's on VH1 I always catch it from the second half.

Thank you sooooo much! This is awesome! I've never heard this source before. Very cool!

Link is available until December 20, 2014
http://we.tl/usBo6fCI6s

Info:
Source info: SBD tape supplied by Tim>Adobe Audition 1.5>wav>Feurio!-CDAudio>EAC>wac>flac
This show was partially broadcast by the BBC. This is not taken from the BBC outside broadcast tapes, this is most likely taken off the soundboard used for the venue’s PA system.
Before Sitting Still, Stipe tells the audience the heel of his shoe broke off and if he can have another shoe, so someone in the crowd throws their shoe up on stage. The part broadcast by the BBC can be found on many bootlegs, including "In The Wood", "Nottingham" and "Old Man Kensey".

Disc 1:
01. Harborcoat
02. Second Guessing
03. Hyena
04. Talk About The Passion
05. West Of The Fields
06. (Don't Go Back To) Rockville
07. Auctioneer (Another Engine)
08. So. Central Rain
09. Sitting Still
10. Old Man Kensey
11. Gardening At Night
12. 9-9
13. Hey Diddle Diddle-Frogmore
14. Windout
15. Driver 8
16. Pretty Persuasion
17. Radio Free Europe
18. Little America

Disc 2:
encore 1:
01. Wendell Gee
02. 1,000,000
03. 20th Century Boy
04. Just A Touch
encore 2:
05. We Walk
06. After Hours
07. See No Evil
08. Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars)
09. Moon River

I finally got the REMTV set for Christmas. Documentary is great, I remember a lot of the footage from the 80s and 90s.

Really want an 320 MP3 audio RIP of all six discs. Can anyone offer this? or can give me insight how to do it myself on a PC? I have little experience, so quality may not be up to par. If Anyone has the time or will to do this for us Superfans it would b much appreciated. Thank you - Buckhead

I finally got the REMTV set for Christmas. Documentary is great, I remember a lot of the footage from the 80s and 90s.

Really want an 320 MP3 audio RIP of all six discs. Can anyone offer this? or can give me insight how to do it myself on a PC? I have little experience, so quality may not be up to par. If Anyone has the time or will to do this for us Superfans it would b much appreciated. Thank you - Buckhead

It might take a lot of work but you can use the program Soundflower to record streaming audio in Audacity. That creates lossless files easily. LAME mp3 is usually what is used to create mp3s, but I don't consider the quality to be very good. I would honestly recommend uploading tracks to a bandcamp album set to private, and then downloading as mp3 320. Bandcamp has very good audio conversion, but this may not be legal, as they don't want any copyrighted material up there. If someone knows a better way to convert audio please let me know.

Get Magic DVD Ripper, you can then rip the dvds to your laptop/pc in any format. You just need to select mp3. I'm doing it also for my car :)

I was just getting it ready. Got it from DIME, sharing here.

This was converted from original FLAC-24/48-MONO to FLAC-16/44.1-MONO without any editing. Info, file names and everything else was revised and corrected.

Michael Stipe live, NYC, Dec 30th, 2014: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/17deb59157fadef86ad90a1d1208e59420150101184252/3727bc (valid til Jan 8th)

If you like it, just click thumbs up, please :)
And have a great New Year.

UPDATE: it looks like a stereo version is on the way. I'll let you know.

Last edited:
A little something I'd like to share because it's deeply R.E.M.-related.

This past weekend, Jan 3rd, I was at my friend's for some barbecue and drinks and a good time. Let me tell you about the surroundings: she lives in a kind of village enclosed within an urban area, with a somewhat big preserved woods area all around. It's a very quiet place. We were sitting in the porch, just looking at the night sky, enjoying the cool night after a scorching day and having a good talk. Her husband went inside and we stayed there. My friend and I are the biggest R.E.M. fans you can ever meet where I live, and she's the only person to whom I talk about the band, news, lists, preferences and whatnots. And we live in a city where people only know R.E.M. as 'that Losing My Religion band' -- when they know the name of the song. They'd be scholars if they knew, say, five other songs (Everybody Hurts, The One I Love, ITEOTWAWKI and the such). We kept talking about deep stuff, childhood, parents and life's troubles and, all of a sudden, we both stopped talking... when we heard 'All The Way to Reno' coming from beyong the woods at 1:30am. Do you have any idea what it is to have a late non-hit like that playing at 1:30am surrounded by trees and insects just out of the blue like that? We looked at each other in disbelief and couldn't say much for the next minute or so. She then said it was so surreal, we couldn't begin to express what it felt like. But it actually felt like someone decided to play that song exactly because they knew two huge R.E.M.-heads would be right on the other side listening. It would have been just another nice talk to my best friend, maybe not an especially memorable one, even, but it turned out to be something neither of us can ever forget. One of those truly weird moments. And there was no other song after that. (Now I'm suddenly the 'cool story bro' guy...)

Last edited:
that is very awesome. what an odd song to hear from the distance...

here's my recent REM-related story. some friends and i decided that it'd be fun to get together every once in while to play REM songs since we're all big fans. we ended up getting booked to play a show on halloween and then another on NYE. all cover band shows, so we fit right in. it's funny the songs we thought would be obvious to everyone got total blank stares (driver 8, radio free europe, so central rain, pop song 89, stuff like that). we chalked it up to the age difference between us and a lot of the people at the halloween show. we threw a few more "hits" in for the NYE set and still got mostly blank stares. though it's funny how many people perk up with recognition when they hear the opening chords to "what's the frequency" and then vaguely mouth along to all of those lyrics! and, without fail, the room filled up when we closed with "end of the world". at least everyone knew that :)

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom