Still Ill
This Night Has Opened My Eyes
Barbarism Begins At Home
Back To The Old House
What Difference Does It Make?
/Reel Around The Fountain
//You've Got Everything Now
//Handsome Devil

This concert was very crowded, sweaty and memorable, like most visits to Glasgow. There was a lot of heckling so Morrissey lectured the crowd about bad behaviour. Performance-wise and sound-wise, it was one of the best concerts of the period, probably because it was recorded.

After "Hand In Glove" Morrissey greeted the fans "Hello Glasgow!". In "This Charming Man", Morrissey changed one word in the line "This man said it's gruesome that someone so ugly should care", as he had been known to do now and then. "Pretty Girls Make Graves" was introduced with "And now, a lesson for everybody". The following song, "Still Ill" was introduced as "...a nice song about the most enviable position imaginable 'Still Ill'!" There was a lot of heckling from the audience, so after "This Night Has Opened My Eyes", Morrissey shouted "Aaarrgh listen! What?". In the part in "Barbarism Begins At Home" where Morrissey just moaned and la-la-la'ed, echo effect was applied, making it sound eerie. "Back To The Old House" was introduced with the line "This is for all you marsh-mellows". Before "Handsome Devil" Morrissey teased the audience by shouting "More?"

This concert was recorded for later radio broadcast. Of this recording, only "Girl Afraid" has officially surfaced when it was included on a freebie cassette called "Department Of Enjoyment". The cassette was given away with a 1985 issue of the British music paper the NME.

The "Department Of Enjoyment" track mentioned above was lifted from the tape and compiled on the rare 7" bootleg "Rest In Peace" (with the studio version of "This Charming Man" and the audio for "Sheila Take A Bow" and "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" live on television programme The Tube"), the more common bootleg cd "Asleep" (with 3 radio sessions, an alternate outtake of "How Soon Is Now?", 9 soundchecks from 26 September 1985 and 5 soundchecks from 1 October 1985) as well as "Wilde About The Smiths" (with many other live tracks, rarities and radio and tv sessions).

The (apparent) FM recording of the whole concert can also be found on tapes and homemade cds traded among collectors, sometimes under the title "Oscillate Wildly". MP3s have made it on the internet. They sometimes lack "Reel Around The Fountain" and "You've Got Everything Now".

A reasonably good audience recording of the complete concert is also circulated among collectors, on cd-rs and on the internet.

info from passions just like mine

Back
Top Bottom