If someone says to you...

gaz217

Who is Morrissey or who are The Smiths, which song would you play to them?Not to get them into Moz/Smiths-but to explain what he/they are all about. Which song sums the artist up most?

I'd say for The Smiths is would be Hand In Glove. Epitomizes everything The Smiths were and are about.Lyrically superb.

For Morrissey I'd probably go for Everyday Is Like Sunday. Might seem an obvious choice to some but I do genuinely believe that this song is the definition of Morrissey.

So what say you?

The Smiths - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Well I Wonder
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

Morrissey - Everyday Is Like Sunday
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Let Me Kiss You

First, I would put on some earplugs, then I would play them a Dave Matthews song to punish them for their ignorance. Could there be a worse form of torture?

The Smiths: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Morrissey: Everyday Is Like Sunday

My 2 favorite songs:D

The Smiths i`d say There is a Light because I think its a good anthem and anyone could appreciate it.
As for Morrissey if it was a bloke I`d play First of the Gang to Die.And a woman Come Back to Camden,as his voice is stunning on it and I feel its very different to anything else.

The Smiths - There Is A Light...-because it kinda lets them in on our world, and to get a view of it from the very core!

Morrissey - Last of the famous...- Because it is anthemic and shows Morrisseys more observational than personal side (as he has tended to do more with the solo stuff), also it is a 'choon.

For The Smiths I would choose How Soon is Now and maybe Panic. For Morrissey solo I'd chose Ummm. Errr. Ohhh It's so dificult... OK - Every Day is Linke Sunday, and Lifeguard Sleeping Girl Drowning.

I'd let them listen to what got me into the Smiths, the baseline for This Charming Man. And then I'd put on Sister, I'm A Poet from Moz.

The Smiths:
Well I Wonder (great emotional, vocal performance)
What Difference Does It Make? (because a lot of "early" fans love it)
Girlfriend in a Coma (to show that Moz has a sense of humour and hopefully break the sad-sack stereotype that many outsiders have of him)

Morrissey:
Suedehead (cuz it's my favorite song that's not I Don't Mind if You Forget Me)
The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get (because it's Moz's only US hit and it a great song in general)
Life is a Pigsty (because it's very cool and one-of-a-kind)

And then I'd take them to a concert because it's just a wonderful experience. :D

First, I would put on some earplugs, then I would play them a Dave Matthews song to punish them for their ignorance. Could there be a worse form of torture?

Best post of the day!!!!!!!

Indeed, there is not. Unless Dave Matthews played live, but no human could survive that.

I gave a co-worker a copy of The Queen Is Dead and he said he liked it and wants me to copy other cd's for him.

Back
Top Bottom