Moz/Smiths Tattoos

Pardon my ignorance but I need to know a few details.

Firstly my parents wouldn't let me get a tatoo whilst i'm living at home...they're like that. I will wait until I go off to university and then try and get a couple of Morrissey/Smiths tattoos.

My questions are:

• Where would I go? How do you know who to trust?
  • What is the pain like?
  • If I was wanting a couple of lines of lyrics say, how much does that roughly cost nowadays?
  • and finally...if I find that the pain is going to kill (NOT LITERALLY) can I take and precautions such as getting drunk or tipsy and blanking out the pain or would the alcohol have some critical effect when in conjunction with the ink.
I would love to have this on my back just as this lucky person has had done http://images.morrissey-solo.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=toprated&cat=0&pos=94

my lyrics would be "Hand In Glove,
the sun shines out of our behinds"
...wouldn't that look great when I am 75

Well, I could suggest some places, but I highly doubt we live in the same area. I would say do your shopping. Find out who does your friends' tattoos. If you spot someone in a bar or on the street with an exceptionally done tattoo, ask them where they got it done and who did it. If you hear something bad about a particular shop or encounter lots of horror stories about one place, don't go there!! Go around to different tattoo shops that you know of and ask to see artist portfolios. It's important to look for tattoos with clear, bright, and even color, and straight, neat lines. Also look at the shading on more detailed pieces. Make sure it looks right. Make sure the artist you select has experience with the style of tattoo you are looking for. If you want just words/script, look carefully at the script that they have done.

Although the temptation might be high, DON'T get a tattoo at one of those "tattoo parties" or by someone's boyfriend in their basement.
ALWAYS go to a legit tattoo parlor. Make sure everything looks clean and that the artists are using latex/rubber gloves and that they're changing the needles and the ink with each client. It's also important that you feel comfortable with the staff. Are they friendly and helpful? Are they willing to give you what YOU want??

The pain is kind of like someone cutting into you. (At least, that's how it feels to me.) It is not that BAD....if you can handle pain pretty well, it probably won't phase you. It also depends on how long you are being tattooed. The larger and more detailed your piece is, the longer it's going to take, and the more it's going to hurt...because they will be going over the same area over and over to shade and fill in stuff. If you're just getting lyrics or text, it probably won't hurt as much because there is less detailed involved.

The cost varies GREATLY depending on where you go. Sure, there's shops and people working out of their homes who will probably do it dirt cheap for you, but you have to remember the old saying "you get what you pay for." It applies to tattoos too!!! Remember, this is going to be on you for the rest of your life. It's better to save up for a while to get a nice looking tattoo than to spend $50 on something that looks dreadful. All of my bigger tattoos have been $125 and up. If you're just getting lyrics/script, it might not be too costly, but it also depends on how big you want them. Don't go too small though, because in time, the ink could bleed together and you won't be able to read what it says!

Most respectable tattoo shops have specific rules against tattooing people who are severely intoxicated or under the influence of substances. When I got tattooed, I had to sign a form stating that I was not under the influence of anything. I think they do this to avoid any liability....to ensure that you are fully aware of what you are doing when you get this tattoo put on you. It also might have to do with blood reasons. I'm not sure.

Well, I hope I helped you! Good luck with the search!

Well, I could suggest some places, but I highly doubt we live in the same area. I would say do your shopping. Find out who does your friends' tattoos. If you spot someone in a bar or on the street with an exceptionally done tattoo, ask them where they got it done and who did it. If you hear something bad about a particular shop or encounter lots of horror stories about one place, don't go there!! Go around to different tattoo shops that you know of and ask to see artist portfolios. It's important to look for tattoos with clear, bright, and even color, and straight, neat lines. Also look at the shading on more detailed pieces. Make sure it looks right. Make sure the artist you select has experience with the style of tattoo you are looking for. If you want just words/script, look carefully at the script that they have done.

Although the temptation might be high, DON'T get a tattoo at one of those "tattoo parties" or by someone's boyfriend in their basement.
ALWAYS go to a legit tattoo parlor. Make sure everything looks clean and that the artists are using latex/rubber gloves and that they're changing the needles and the ink with each client. It's also important that you feel comfortable with the staff. Are they friendly and helpful? Are they willing to give you what YOU want??

The pain is kind of like someone cutting into you. (At least, that's how it feels to me.) It is not that BAD....if you can handle pain pretty well, it probably won't phase you. It also depends on how long you are being tattooed. The larger and more detailed your piece is, the longer it's going to take, and the more it's going to hurt...because they will be going over the same area over and over to shade and fill in stuff. If you're just getting lyrics or text, it probably won't hurt as much because there is less detailed involved.

The cost varies GREATLY depending on where you go. Sure, there's shops and people working out of their homes who will probably do it dirt cheap for you, but you have to remember the old saying "you get what you pay for." It applies to tattoos too!!! Remember, this is going to be on you for the rest of your life. It's better to save up for a while to get a nice looking tattoo than to spend $50 on something that looks dreadful. All of my bigger tattoos have been $125 and up. If you're just getting lyrics/script, it might not be too costly, but it also depends on how big you want them. Don't go too small though, because in time, the ink could bleed together and you won't be able to read what it says!

Most respectable tattoo shops have specific rules against tattooing people who are severely intoxicated or under the influence of substances. When I got tattooed, I had to sign a form stating that I was not under the influence of anything. I think they do this to avoid any liability....to ensure that you are fully aware of what you are doing when you get this tattoo put on you. It also might have to do with blood reasons. I'm not sure.

Well, I hope I helped you! Good luck with the search!

WOW! Thank you this is such a helpful answer more or less telling everything that I need to know. I reckon I would probably go for a couple of lyric tattoos first to see how I cope before perhaps moving onto a couple of more complex things such as say MORRISSEY in gothic text or the Morrissey crest as featured on ROTT. Really kind of you to take the time to reply and may I say your tattoo looks fantastic! Personally I don't have anything against tattoos of Morrissey's face but I would not get one as it could turn out looking well...not that much like him e.g. http://www.supercult.com/site2/welike/morrissey/018.jpg however, you appear to have a very highly skilled artist. Thanks for the help again and hope to see you get some more Moz/Smiths tattoos in the future :)

haha thank you!

Well, this was the artist's SECOND Morrissey tattoo (as far as I know, there may have been more). I had been referred to this particular artist through someone I met at a Morrissey concert who had an amazing Morrissey portrait tattoo. So I went to this same artist and told him the story of how I came to know about his work (by the Morrissey fan at the concert), and I think he found it rather amusing.

When he started tattooing me, I jokingly said, "so, do you hate Morrissey?" He laughed a little nervously and sort of hesitated, and I said, "it's okay if you do! I was just wondering..." and he then said that he was a big Smiths fan, but not so much a fan of Moz's solo work. I told him that was okay.

Another artist that worked at the shop (who WAS a Morrissey fan) kept coming in to check on the progress of my tattoo. He said, "Shouldn't you guys be listening to The Smiths or something?" haha. He liked my tattoo so much he told poor Jim (my tattoo artist) that he was going to make him do ANOTHER Morrissey tattoo on HIM!!! hahaha.

hahha, he'll come to love morrissey, he'll have to if word gets round about how good he is. LOL

I feel if I

A) Could afford it
B) Bear the pain

I would, after thought, go for a few on various parts of the torso.
These would be they:

“Consistency Is The Last Refuge Of The Unimaginative”

“Hand In Glove,
The Sun Shines Out Of
Our Behinds”

“Will Nature Make
A Man Of Me Yet ?”

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

“Does The Body Rule The Mind Or Does The Mind Rule The Body ?”

“Under The Iron Bridge We Kissed”

MORRISSEY

Morrissey Crest http://images.morrissey-solo.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=toprated&cat=0&pos=94

WOW! Thank you this is such a helpful answer more or less telling everything that I need to know. I reckon I would probably go for a couple of lyric tattoos first to see how I cope before perhaps moving onto a couple of more complex things such as say MORRISSEY in gothic text or the Morrissey crest as featured on ROTT. Really kind of you to take the time to reply and may I say your tattoo looks fantastic! Personally I don't have anything against tattoos of Morrissey's face but I would not get one as it could turn out looking well...not that much like him e.g. http://www.supercult.com/site2/welike/morrissey/018.jpg however, you appear to have a very highly skilled artist. Thanks for the help again and hope to see you get some more Moz/Smiths tattoos in the future :)

No problem! I'm glad I could help! Thank you for the compliments. I have a few more Moz/Smiths tattoos in mind that I want to get. When I do, I'll be sure to post more pics. Good luck with your tattoos!

I got this many years ago, I always liked it a lot cause it gives away so little and is recognized only by people "in the know". which is quite fantastic really. lot's of lovely stories...
and it`s my only one so far...

elsbesen

but over the years I've grown a strong urge to get more. get a bigger one. next month will see 3/4 of my arm get covered in lillies combined with some clever quote (by now I still tend to go for "because we must" what do you think?) and I can't wait. will keep you posted... ;)

I got this many years ago, I always liked it a lot cause it gives away so little and is recognized only by people "in the know". which is quite fantastic really. lot's of lovely stories...
and it`s my only one so far...

elsbesen

but over the years I've grown a strong urge to get more. get a bigger one. next month will see 3/4 of my arm get covered in lillies combined with some clever quote (by now I still tend to go for "because we must" what do you think?) and I can't wait. will keep you posted... ;)

hi els in photobucket it gives you the option imgcode if you copy & paste it in here like this
DSC00120.jpg

see you get to show your pic.

btw what's a fish wearing a crown signify?

love

Grim 'not in the know' eh!

thanks grim! I should have figured this out by now... oh well....
as for the crowned fish.. I know this is widely considered to be a christian symbol as in jesus fishing for the lost souls or whatever. and maybe it is. but then again the nice thing about it is that is's a symbol morrissey used to use, but not to a vast extend and to me it is just a symbol for him. it's a small connection, which I like much more than getting his name or his face (which will fade with the years) over my aging skin.
People keep asking me what it means and I always keep them guessing. I should release a book with wrong (but quite nice) guesses....

btw: I don`t think he knows himself what a fish wearing a crown signifies... or does he?

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance but I need to know a few details.

Firstly my parents wouldn't let me get a tatoo whilst i'm living at home...they're like that. I will wait until I go off to university and then try and get a couple of Morrissey/Smiths tattoos.

My questions are:

• Where would I go? How do you know who to trust?
  • What is the pain like?
  • If I was wanting a couple of lines of lyrics say, how much does that roughly cost nowadays?
  • and finally...if I find that the pain is going to kill (NOT LITERALLY) can I take and precautions such as getting drunk or tipsy and blanking out the pain or would the alcohol have some critical effect when in conjunction with the ink.
I would love to have this on my back just as this lucky person has had done http://images.morrissey-solo.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=toprated&cat=0&pos=94

my lyrics would be "Hand In Glove,
the sun shines out of our behinds"
...wouldn't that look great when I am 75
Hello PT!

well, as said, go somewhere you like the look of, somewhere recommended to you.

The pain is a bit like being scratched by a cat, I always think. But it depends where you have it. The base of the back is quite good for a first tattoo

Get a cost estimate: what i do, is walk in to make an appointment, see who's available (some places you will be able to walk in and have a tattoo straight away, most places you need to book before hand)and I ask for an estimate then. Often, you can leave a deposit, which means there is less to pay on the day (roughly £20 everywhere I've been) Most importantly, you get what you pay for, so it's worth going somewhere a bit pricier. You can look through books of previous tattoos that have been done by the tattooist, that's worth it too.

Right, this is important: you mustn't drink before hand, alcahol thins the blood and you will bleed a lot if you do. It could ablso lead to a lower quality tattoo. What is most important, start with something small, and the tattoist will always tell you to tell them if you need a break. After a few minutes, the pain kind of levels out and becomes comfortable (well, for me, but I'm a freak! :) ) I warn you though, once you start, you will want loads! I'll put up links to mine (I really have lost the file I had them in!)

Here is another usefull link.... Tattoo CLub Of Great Britain

You can post without having to register. There are a lot of knowlegable people there who will be able to reccomend top tattooists in your area.

In londond, go to either Into You in Farringdon (http://www.into-you.co.uk/), or got to Lal Hardeys in Muswell Hill (http://www.lalhardy.co.uk/) or Living Immage in Greenwich (http://www.tattoolivingimage.com/)

These are the best arround, from what I have read.

My wife had her latest one done at Into You

3views.jpg

Don't go drunk or stoned - they will not tattoo you.

Be prepaierd to put up at leat £50 deposit. They are not the cheepest, but the quality is the best I have seen.

Any tattooist will want artwork a week or so in advance. Be prepaired to go and look at it and expect to ask for some changes - don't be afraid to discuss the design - it will be on you for life. The artists is there to do what you want, so stick up for that!

Good Luck - I can't wait to see the end result! :D

Its desecration of the body, you can't get buried in a Jewish ceremony if you have one. ;)

What about plastic surgery or piercings? Isn't that desecrating the body? I read somewhere that the only requirement to be buried in a Jewish cemetary is that you be Jewish, so I think you're safe (unless you convert.)

Back
Top Bottom