Morrissey mentioned in aspergers video on youtube

The person who made the video has come up with their own classifications and naming conventions for "types" (categories?) of Asperger's syndrome. Morrissey is one of the categories. So is Einstein, as vAndreav points out.

Last edited:
What a load of complete and utter rubbish! As someone who actually lives with an aspergers' syndrome suffer, I would find it very difficult to believe that Morrissey is also a sufferer. Yes, Morrissey was once terribly shy (and I'm not saying he isn't shy now, but I'm sure he's not as bad as he once was) and took a deep interest in things he likes (which most people do, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are the rainman! Should we call teenage girls that have memorised vast amounts of information about a member of a boyband that they like an asperger sufferer?). But he has changed so much and grown as a person over the years, and true asperger sufferers' tend to hang onto their idiosyncracies and habits for life. He has a huge capacity for emotion and empathy. Empathy is something which aspergers' famously lack. Of course there's no "one-size-fits-all" definition of the syndrome and I'm no psychologist, but I really don't think he has aspergers', I think he just has plain old shyness!

I totally agree. It's just shyness. And I think it's supremely arrogant for people to think they can diagnose someone with any kind of syndrome just by reading about them and watching them on the telly. It's quite moronic, in fact.

The stupid thing keeps freezing up.

But as a person who has family with autism, I highly doubt that Morrissey suffers from it.

I think you completely missed the point - there is no intention at all to imply that he may actually have aspergers, they only use him to demonstrate a particular type as they see it. I agree, Morrise probably isn't. And so does the author, in my opinion - but he is a brilliant person to use to demonstrate a type, wouldn't you agree?

Also - why do you feel that people who have aspergers suffer?

Quote "As someone who actually lives with an aspergers' syndrome suffer....."

I am dyslexic, and have been labeled as HFA (Tha'ts High Functioning Autistic for those who don't know) and my wife has Aspergers syndrome and neither of us suffer. It is a shame that you frase it in this way.

As you rightly say the Autistic spectrum, and aspergers is part of that, is wide and varied. You can be an Aspie and be very empathic, in fact. As can Autie's feel great emotion.

My wife and I have many problems communicating, but we do feel a great love for each other, and empathise with each other well. We are like two odd peas from a very strange pod! Funny how we found each other! I'm now 39, and to meet me you would have no idea, as I have grown and changed and learned new behaviour. Actually - you being 'in the know' about it might twig it - the lack of eye contacts, body language etc. - you would reccongnise that, I expect - but I have evercome so much through the university of life, as many of us do!

Also - take a look at www.wrongplanet.net where a lot of Aspie's find support, as do their partners and parents - it is a great sight.

Cheers :)

I think you completely missed the point - there is no intention at all to imply that he may actually have aspergers, they only use him to demonstrate a particular type as they see it. I agree, Morrise probably isn't. And so does the author, in my opinion - but he is a brilliant person to use to demonstrate a type, wouldn't you agree?

Also - why do you feel that people who have aspergers suffer?

Quote "As someone who actually lives with an aspergers' syndrome suffer....."

I am dyslexic, and have been labeled as HFA (Tha'ts High Functioning Autistic for those who don't know) and my wife has Aspergers syndrome and neither of us suffer. It is a shame that you frase it in this way.

As you rightly say the Autistic spectrum, and aspergers is part of that, is wide and varied. You can be an Aspie and be very empathic, in fact. As can Autie's feel great emotion.

My wife and I have many problems communicating, but we do feel a great love for each other, and empathise with each other well. We are like two odd peas from a very strange pod! Funny how we found each other! I'm now 39, and to meet me you would have no idea, as I have grown and changed and learned new behaviour. Actually - you being 'in the know' about it might twig it - the lack of eye contacts, body language etc. - you would reccongnise that, I expect - but I have evercome so much through the university of life, as many of us do!

Also - take a look at www.wrongplanet.net where a lot of Aspie's find support, as do their partners and parents - it is a great sight.

Cheers :)

Why do I feel that they suffer? Well, when I daily witness my brother (the person with aspergers' syndrome) tearing the house apart, falling on the ground screaming out of sheer frustration at not being able to communicate, I get the feeling that it's not very nice being him. My family also suffers because of his violent outbursts (and I am NOT blaming my brother for this - he has a condition which he can do nothing about, nevertheless, it isn't easy living with him, to say the least).

I am dyslexic, and have been labeled as HFA (Tha'ts High Functioning Autistic for those who don't know) and my wife has Aspergers syndrome and neither of us suffer.

Doesn't it bother you to be labelled? All I'm saying is that everyone is being labelled as neurotic, depressed, bi-polar, schizophrenic even when they may have only one symptom of these mental illnesses/conditions (at a push). People aren't perfect - it's about time this was fully realised.

Why do I feel that they suffer? Well, when I daily witness my brother (the person with aspergers' syndrome) tearing the house apart, falling on the ground screaming out of sheer frustration at not being able to communicate, I get the feeling that it's not very nice being him. My family also suffers because of his violent outbursts (and I am NOT blaming my brother for this - he has a condition which he can do nothing about, nevertheless, it isn't easy living with him, to say the least).

I understand. And I'm sorry to hear he is having such a hard time with it. All I can say is that he will learn - I and many others have been through that and come out the other side. I was lucky - my parents understood, and I had the best help they could get me. I'm not saying your family are not the same, btw :) Don't give up hope!

Doesn't it bother you to be labelled? All I'm saying is that everyone is being labelled as neurotic, depressed, bi-polar, schizophrenic even when they may have only one symptom of these mental illnesses/conditions (at a push). People aren't perfect - it's about time this was fully realised.

Actually - before I got my label I had no understanding of why I couldn't understand the world, or why it didn't understand me! I didn't realise there was any point in participating with it. Much less trying to understand it or even bother answering their stupid questions! "How do you do young man?" - Do WAHT? And why are you calling me a young MAN? I'm a little boy stupid! So I'd stand their silently looking at the guy like HE was the odd one!

Then I was told I was special, I had this big-word-label and it was because of that-big-word-label and I thought, OK, it's me. Now, whats going on out there. And actually, it was quite interesting! This first started when I was 7 and was first labelled as Dyslexic - at 13 while going through something simmilar to your brother I was re-diagnosed and it was explained to me again in more adult terms. It was a turning point for me.

From bottom of the class, failing everything - Head master told me I would never ever pass an exam - I was incompatible with the educational system and could not be educated - I Promis you this is what he said.

I'm now an IT Manager and I set up and run million pound systems for 500 or 600 users, I have 6 staff! And I did pass all my exams - 9 O levels , 3 A Levels - the UK system....

So my label helped me understand the world, rather than it undertand me. Perhaps these days a label would attract a little more understanding from the world at large than I got, these more enlightened times - I was 13 26 years ago! Oh, I feel old! ;)

I totally agree that too many people ascribe themselves with too many labels these days - usually from online polls and such! Oh well, each to their own, eh! But perhaps if some of these people find some solace in that, if it helps them get through life, why not?

Chin up about your brother - he want's to communicate as much as you do, he'll find his way! And you guys will be there for him.

Matt

I understand. And I'm sorry to hear he is having such a hard time with it. All I can say is that he will learn - I and many others have been through that and come out the other side. I was lucky - my parents understood, and I had the best help they could get me. I'm not saying your family are not the same, btw :) Don't give up hope!

Actually - before I got my label I had no understanding of why I couldn't understand the world, or why it didn't understand me! I didn't realise there was any point in participating with it. Much less trying to understand it or even bother answering their stupid questions! "How do you do young man?" - Do WAHT? And why are you calling me a young MAN? I'm a little boy stupid! So I'd stand their silently looking at the guy like HE was the odd one!

Then I was told I was special, I had this big-word-label and it was because of that-big-word-label and I thought, OK, it's me. Now, whats going on out there. And actually, it was quite interesting! This first started when I was 7 and was first labelled as Dyslexic - at 13 while going through something simmilar to your brother I was re-diagnosed and it was explained to me again in more adult terms. It was a turning point for me.

From bottom of the class, failing everything - Head master told me I would never ever pass an exam - I was incompatible with the educational system and could not be educated - I Promis you this is what he said.

I'm now an IT Manager and I set up and run million pound systems for 500 or 600 users, I have 6 staff! And I did pass all my exams - 9 O levels , 3 A Levels - the UK system....

So my label helped me understand the world, rather than it undertand me. Perhaps these days a label would attract a little more understanding from the world at large than I got, these more enlightened times - I was 13 26 years ago! Oh, I feel old! ;)

I totally agree that too many people ascribe themselves with too many labels these days - usually from online polls and such! Oh well, each to their own, eh! But perhaps if some of these people find some solace in that, if it helps them get through life, why not?

Chin up about your brother - he want's to communicate as much as you do, he'll find his way! And you guys will be there for him.

Matt

Thanks for the kind words. We can't get professional help because we can't force him to see someone (and anyway, the Irish health system is abysmal when it comes to mental health - they prescribe us tablets and send us off on our way!). But he is getting better with age and all we can do is help him.:)

Back
Top Bottom