The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 12: ASIAN RUT

How do you rate Asian Rut?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: ASIAN RUT

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

We have a new number 2.
The top-11 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating so far: 8,80
2) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,62
3) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,32
4) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,89
5) Alma Matters, rating: 7,75
6) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,32
7) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,10
8) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,80
9) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,69
10) Ammunition, rating 6,55
11) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,26

The line 'I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilsed' has to be one of Morrissey best lines and one of my favourites.

I like it. But not excessively.

DXS

One of my favourites. I love the mood that is within the song, i feel sympathy and empathy with it

5. Never been to high on it, really, although the violin part is just beautiful.

Didnt Mark Nevin say that this song was so beautiful he cried when he listned to it?

Don't really appreciate it as much as Mark, but still a pretty good song... nice imagery and more evidence that Moz isn't scared of tackling difficult issues

A very underrated song on a very underrated album IMO.

this is a brilliant track- an incredibly romantic story of struggel and racism and violence. ironic that this was lumped in to the "evidence" that Morrissey himself was racist- the lyrics show incredible compassion. the final line is one of the most transcendent of his career.

Awful. Not lyrically, really, although it's not one of Morrissey's best songs, but musically and melodically it's just horrid. And putting it second on Kill Uncle completely destroys any momentum that album might have had. Not that it had much, mind you. There aren't many songs that I would say should never have been released, but this is one.

Back
Top Bottom