Has Morrissey ever commented on…

Poco Innocente

A ring a ding ding
Joy Division or Ian Curtis in the press/interviews etc?

Thanks!

I've never read him openly disdainful of Joy Division, just respectfully uninterested. He has said he didn't care for the music or the melodies of the vocals. Ian Curtis may have interested him only because of his tragic death, and I think Curtis' suicide may be part of the reason he doesn't blast them openly-- my guess is that privately he hates their music.

EDIT: Well, he may have been more forceful. He called them "incredibly boring", as Google tells me.

EDIT II: For something boring to go from "boring" to "incredibly boring" wouldn't that automatically make it interesting?

Last edited:
^^
Of course Morrissey hates Joy Division, his taste in music has always been mostly lame.

All I have to say is The Smoking Popes, OK! :rolleyes:

I was also wondering about Morrissey's opinion about Joy Division, but hasn't read any interview he was talking about them.

One of the first Japanese music magazines' Smiths article, a journalist wrote that Morrissey was a JD's male groupie!
I never believed it though.

One of the first Japanese music magazines' Smiths article, a journalist wrote that Morrissey was a JD's male groupie!
I never believed it though.

If by "JD" he meant "James Dean", then yes. Otherwise.

Oddly, though, if I'm not mistaken the actor hired to play Morrissey in "Twenty Four Hour Party People" can be seen at the front of the crowd during a Joy Division concert in the film, screaming along with the tune like, well, a groupie. So maybe the Japanese journalist was on to something.

I don't think anyone ever screamed at Joy Division gigs. They just stood there in overcoats nodding sagely and possibly making notes.

I remember an interview from the 80s when Morrissey said that he saw Joy Division just before the suicide, he said he was completely unmoved, along with the rest of the audience. Apparently Peter Hook took offence to this and said he was going to 'twat' Morrissey the next time he saw him! Cheers :D

In Kids Stuff 7 young Steve wrote

Morrissey said:
Warsaw were formed some time ago by vocalist Ian Curtis and have performed alongside more prominent bands like The Heartbreakers. Although they offer little originality with Ian's offstage antics resembling one Iggy Pop, highlighting their set is 'Another Kill' which is at least memorable, if slightly typical.

I've never read him openly disdainful of Joy Division, just respectfully uninterested. He has said he didn't care for the music or the melodies of the vocals. Ian Curtis may have interested him only because of his tragic death, and I think Curtis' suicide may be part of the reason he doesn't blast them openly-- my guess is that privately he hates their music.

EDIT: Well, he may have been more forceful. He called them "incredibly boring", as Google tells me.

EDIT II: For something boring to go from "boring" to "incredibly boring" wouldn't that automatically make it interesting?

Excuse my ignorance, but why would he hate their music? :)

I remember an interview from the 80s when Morrissey said that he saw Joy Division just before the suicide, he said he was completely unmoved, along with the rest of the audience. Apparently Peter Hook took offence to this and said he was going to 'twat' Morrissey the next time he saw him! Cheers :D

As any fans of New Order/Joy Division will attest, if the greatness of those bands depended solely on their live performances, they'd have a strange standing in music history: attendees of at least half the gigs would have left thinking they'd seen the worst band in the world. Morrissey might have been right about that gig.

He was wrong about them in general, though.

As any fans of New Order/Joy Division will attest, if the greatness of those bands depended solely on their live performances, they'd have a strange standing in music history: attendees of at least half the gigs would have left thinking they'd seen the worst band in the world. Morrissey might have been right about that gig.

He was wrong about them in general, though.

Oh yes, the glory have having 'wrong' opinions returns to the forums ;)

In a 1991 interview, Bernard Sumner (with a certain J. Marr) said that he would "twat" Morrissey if he ever met him. It's the same interview Johnny mentions 'Dorrissey', I guess relations were still pretty hostile between them at that time.

Excuse my ignorance, but why would he hate their music? :)

Like I said, it's just a guess. I believe Morrissey when he says he doesn't like Ian's voice. I also think-- and he has never talked about this to my knowledge-- he would regard Ian's lyrics as rubbish.

Mostly it's about style. In the few years before The Smiths formed, Joy Division were seen as dour and colorless, trenchcoated precursors of the "New Romantics", and if the first year or two of The Smiths are anything to go by (summed up by gladioli all over the Hacienda floor), there couldn't have been more of a contrast of aesthetic sensibilities. Joy Division just weren't pop music, nor were they really punk, and Morrissey has never liked that sort of thing: long songs, unusual structures, heavy production, synths and drum machines, a more avant garde flavor of despair and alienation, and so forth. I couldn't really imagine a band he would dislike more, actually-- I mean, of "respectable" bands that most people would assume he'd like--- except The Cure, of course.

I can't flipping stand Joy Division and I'm relieved to report neither can Moz!
My mates were into them in the 6th form and I tried to get into them myself. It was agony!

But this is as pointless as any debate about the merits of any particular band. What I can't stand about Joy Division is the singer's voice but that's obviously entirely subjective so there is no point in arguing about it. Some of the music seems ok to me but the trouble with song-based music is if you don't like the singing, you're never gonna like the songs.

I can't believe no one seems to remember Morrissey's classic quote on JD's music from last year: "Flat as pancakes".

Back
Top Bottom