why morrissey solo is much better than the smiths

F

Fabricio

i don`t know why but i know it`s true.

for example, I had put in my car "singles" from smiths and now i have "the best of morrissey" in it. The later is much better.

and i made a cd with all songs morrissey played in curitiba (72 min!) and it`s extraordinary!

i can`t understand why people say smiths is better than morrissey solo. No it isn`t. It`s much worse.

This will be known by all in the future... but by now i am sure of it!

Re: I LOVE THE SMITHS

They are part of my life, my history, my dreams, my past. They were perfect since the first to the last album. I'm not a critic, I just know what I feel for them. I love all the albums, the lyrics, the videos, their attitude, everything. Not just for Morrissey, but Marr and the other guys as well. Unlike The Smiths, Morrissey had good and BAD moments,... The Smiths was pure magic!!! Just good albums. It's so strange for me when I see new fans talking about The Smiths like something so old, so distant, because for me they are still here. Well, I guess I'm getting old too.

I too thought that The Solo songs were much better.
Now I've changed my mind somewhat.

They are different from each other.

The Smiths sound is lighter, more upbeat, up lifting, sometimes contrasting with the subject matter of the song itself.

But the Solo sound, I think, is darker, more edgey, more mournful.

I like them both equally.

WorkingGirlx

> i don`t know why but i know it`s true.

I don't know why either but I agree.

Mmm sorry Fab but I would have to disagree. To me the Smiths were always better, the image projected by Morrissey his manifestio in pop songs, Johnny's chiming jubliant guitar work. The flowers, Oscar Wilde, the quips and barbs of others around. The Smiths wrote some to the most enduring songs, while Moz solo has been somewhat patchy. I think heard someone else say it but the Smiths belong to the British Fans while Morrissey Solo belongs more the the Americans and the rest of the world. I've loved Morrissey since 1987 and there are just days when I have to hear his voice. However I'm happy how he is now looking rather spiffy in his suits and hobnobbing with the rich and famous, yet somehow he hasn't sold out.

I think heard someone else say it but
> the Smiths belong to the British Fans

I understand your point and I respect, but The Smiths had an universal speech, full of a kind of british eloquence, but still an universal message. I was a teen, in the same city where Fabricio lives, and there were The Smiths in my mind, my life.

On the other hand, I used to feel them very distant, since I was in south america, a different culture, different values, and I never could imagine them near.

while Morrissey Solo
> belongs more the the Americans and the rest of the world.

True!!!... Once, a south american journalist asked him to say "Oi, tudo bem" (Hi, how are you?), and Morrissey did it, smiled very shy, and said: "I told you I could say it!"... It's strange and amazing to see him so near, in a cultural context, I mean.

I've
> loved Morrissey since 1987 and there are just days when I have
> to hear his voice. However I'm happy how he is now looking
> rather spiffy in his suits and hobnobbing with the rich and
> famous, yet somehow he hasn't sold out.

I think The Smiths are mutch better than Morrisseys solo stuff. I only like Suedehead and a few tracks on V&I.

i love the smiths too!

i understand you, Somnium, but if i had to do a list with my 20 moz/smiths songs i like the most, probably 15 would be from morrissey solo.

Smiths were really really great and so on, but his solo career touches my heart THAT much.

> They are part of my life, my history, my dreams, my past. They
> were perfect since the first to the last album. I'm not a
> critic, I just know what I feel for them. I love all the albums,
> the lyrics, the videos, their attitude, everything. Not just for
> Morrissey, but Marr and the other guys as well. Unlike The
> Smiths, Morrissey had good and BAD moments,... The Smiths was
> pure magic!!! Just good albums. It's so strange for me when I
> see new fans talking about The Smiths like something so old, so
> distant, because for me they are still here. Well, I guess I'm
> getting old too.

i liked your hint!

> I too thought that The Solo songs were much better.
> Now I've changed my mind somewhat.

> They are different from each other.

> The Smiths sound is lighter, more upbeat, up lifting, sometimes
> contrasting with the subject matter of the song itself.

perhaps this is the reason why i tend to think his solo songs are somewhat more sincere... you gave me a great hint, working girl.

> Mmm sorry Fab but I would have to disagree. To me the Smiths
> were always better, the image projected by Morrissey his
> manifestio in pop songs, Johnny's chiming jubliant guitar work.
> The flowers, Oscar Wilde, the quips and barbs of others around.

this was good but has nothing to do with the music people want to hear today, i think. It`s just like the beatlemania: people like beatles nowadays because they made great songs, and not because of their historical importance for the sixties. This is the same with the flowers and oscar wilde for the smiths: a new fan won`t like the smiths because of it, but just because of their music.

> The Smiths wrote some to the most enduring songs, while Moz solo
> has been somewhat patchy.

now i have to disagree! For me the solo songs are better from day to day. Each new time i hear a moz solo song i tend to like it more, and i have seen that this is similar with a great number of people around. Nowadays i consider for example kill uncle and southpaw grammar true masterpieces, what i didn`t consider before. I think moz solo songs will survive much more than we all can imagine.

>I think heard someone else say it but
> the Smiths belong to the British Fans while Morrissey Solo
> belongs more the the Americans and the rest of the world.

this makes me remember that henry james always put more purity of soul in their americans characters than in their european ones...

this is a sign moz solo perhaps is somewhat "purer" than the smiths? with less appeal to the critics, to the public and to a certain kind of marketing? on the other hand, perhaps his solo career is simply pure. Completely pure, sincere and true, with no other appeal than morrissey`s own soul.

oh perhaps i went to far.

perhaps not.

> I've
> loved Morrissey since 1987 and there are just days when I have
> to hear his voice. However I'm happy how he is now looking
> rather spiffy in his suits and hobnobbing with the rich and
> famous, yet somehow he hasn't sold out.

oh as for me, i would be glad if he was just happy.

> I think The Smiths are mutch better than Morrisseys solo stuff.
> I only like Suedehead and a few tracks on V&I.

i know this is a common way of thinking... but i can`t do nothing but considering this so unfair...

> i don`t know why but i know it`s true.
> i can`t understand why people say smiths is better than
> morrissey solo. No it isn`t. It`s much worse.

You're not kidding. You're not kidding.
Come on, Golden Lights was such a fabulous song!!

I do think however that Johnny's, Andy's and even Mike's performance with Morrissey-solo is below all standards.

> i know this is a common way of thinking... but i can`t do
> nothing but considering this so unfair...

Why is it unfair?

> Why is it unfair?

because this opinion (smiths=good and morrissey-solo=bad) is so widely spread that I think it`s time to make some action against it!

Back
Top Bottom