Everyday Is Like Sunday
Suedehead
Sister I'm A Poet
Meat Is Murder
Mexico
November Spawned a Monster
Speedway
/There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Morrissey's return to the stage was a success. The fans were ecstatic, they were treated to three unreleased songs, three new Smiths numbers never performed by Morrissey in his solo years and a few never performed solo songs. The audience didn't know what to expect, unlike fans attending later concerts who had meanwhile read reports on the internet. Morrissey probably also didn't know what to expect of his fans, stating at some point "I really thought by now you all would have moved on... (crowd: NO!) but there's still time".

This, and the fact that it was the first concert of the tour, including never performed songs, are probably the reasons why Morrissey and his band looked a bit nervous at times. But Morrissey was still very much into his performance and very talkative, while the fans tried all they could to make it on stage and touch their idol. One of the latter even caused sound problems by tackling sound equipment in his rush to make it up before being grabbed by security. At some point when they were having sound problems, Morrissey actually reassured his fans "the mic is off-key, not me".

Morrissey greeted his fans "Hello Wichita!". The first number of the evening was one of the Smiths songs mentioned above, "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want". Clocking in at a bit less than 2 minutes, it was over before most fans got over their surprise or the enthusiasm of having Morrissey on stage in front of them. Unfortunately this was to be the first and final ever solo performance of this title by Morrissey. The next song was "Jack The Ripper", performed for the first time since the 1995 Boxers tour. Next on the setlist was "At Amber" which had never been performed by Morrissey before, nor since, making this concert special to bootleg collectors.

The 2002 setlist was very much "Viva Hate"-oriented. The next numbers were "Alsatian Cousin" and "Little Man What Now" paired as they are at the beginning of "Viva Hate". A second Smiths song was performed next, "I Want The One I Can't Have". The song used to be a live favourite during the Smiths days. Next was "Hairdresser On Fire" which was sung with all the lyrical changes introduced on the Oye Esteban tour. However, Morrissey adapted the first line to "Where is Phoenix? Jesus, I'm in Phoenix... is it home of the free...".

It was then that Morrissey introduced the first of his new and unreleased songs, "The First Of The Gang To Die". He introduced it with "Here's a new song that none of you will listen to!". They missed the first start of it and had to try a second time. It was followed by another new song, "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" which was introduced as covering "...my personal interest in love making... (crowd laughs) which wasn't meant to be funny!". Another new song, "I Like You" was next on the setlist, but it was skipped, perhaps because Morrissey thought the reception of the previous two had been too lukewarm.

The set then returned to the "Viva Hate" era, with its two singles "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and "Suedehead" as well as "Sister I'm A Poet". The first hadn't been performed since the Your Arsenal tour and was done here in a new slower version with Boz on a banjo. It was preceded by the following comment: "This song is about Flagstaff... which is where I was born... which accounts for the fact that I have leathery skin". "Suedehead" had also been absent from Morrissey's setlist since the Your Arsenal tour, bar a few dates in Japan in 1995. Finally "Sister I'm A Poet", which had also been unheard since 1992, returned to the setlist here in a version closer to the original released version instead of the rockabilly-ish version performed on Morrissey's first tours. Before that song Morrissey quipped "Before we head on to Tucson tomorrow, we are going to hit Fashion Square because we really need some fashion". 'Tucson' was pronounced as 'Tuxson' by Morrissey, certainly on purpose and not by mistake.

"Meat Is Murder", which used to be preceded by a short speech on vegetarianism on the Oye Esteban tour, was introduced here with the line "I want you to know that my thoughts haven't changed on this... I still feel the same". Next was another new song, performed for the first time ever: "Mexico". Again he felt unsure of the fans' appreciation, repeatedly asking them if they like the new songs: "Does it sound really terrible? (crowd: NO!) are you sure? Did it sound ok?".

The next two numbers on the list were regulars on the previous Oye Esteban tour: "November Spawned A Monster" and "Speedway". The latter was performed with a slower introduction. Another "Viva Hate" track, "Late Night Maudlin Street" was planned between the two, but skipped.

Returning for the encore, Morrissey introduced the final track with the line "This song is dedicated to an American who died 25 years ago, within 48 hours... you all know who I'm talking about... well, maybe you don't.... you don't know who I'm talking about". The person he was alluding to was of course, Elvis Presley. The song dedicated to him was "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", a fan-favourite from the Smiths era which had never been done by Morrissey in his solo years.

Besides the new "I Like You" and "Late Night Maudlin Street", "Glamorous Glue" was also planned (as a floater) but not performed.

info from passions just like mine

Back
Top Bottom