Boycott Moz

chrisarclark

Boycott Moz
irealize this wont be seen as a popular move by many, but for those who would feel the urge to post beligerently against "whinning, seal-clubbing Canadians" ipolitely ask that you simply ignore this thread and move on.

juste posting to let anyone who is interested know that ihav created a new group on facebook called "Boycott Moz" for all those jilted fans disappointed by Morrissey's statement last year in which he declared he would not be touring in Canada. anyone who would like to join is welcome.

boycott.jpg

I know Morrissey was just being stubborn and essentially punishing his fans because of his cause against the Canadian government's approval of seal hunting, but boycotting Morrissey isn't going to get much done for Canadian fans either.

I know Morrissey was just being stubborn and essentially punishing his fans because of his cause against the Canadian government's approval of seal hunting, but boycotting Morrissey isn't going to get much done for Canadian fans either.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Peter

:rolleyes: Why not just boycott the businesses in Canada that do the seal hunting?

Boycotting Morrissey doesn't lead to solve the problem.
You'd better think positive approach/solution.

You can boycott Morrissey at your will, but you’ll be in the minority, I’m not going to boycott Morrissey because some fan in Canada misses out. I am sure Morrissey didn’t want to boycott Canada, but as he is a popular face of P.E.T.A he had little choice in the matter and the small fact Canada’s annual seal slaughter goes against his ethical approach to life, I do not blame him.

You just put a bright red slash through the face of my hero. What're you going to do for an encore? Club some baby harp seals?

You can boycott Morrissey at your will, but you’ll be in the minority, I’m not going to boycott Morrissey because some fan in Canada misses out. I am sure Morrissey didn’t want to boycott Canada, but as he is a popular face of P.E.T.A he had little choice in the matter and the small fact Canada’s annual seal slaughter goes against his ethical approach to life, I do not blame him.

But boycotting Canada by not playing to his fans is just a bad move to begin with. He could do more against seal hunting by playing shows in Canada.

Just imagine how pissed off you'd be if he refused to play where you live, for a cause you may even support.

The seal cull is an absolute abomination as is much of humankind`s endeavours.He may be only one voice but all hail him for speaking up and shame on any Canadians who sit by and let it happen.

But boycotting Canada by not playing to his fans is just a bad move to begin with. He could do more against seal hunting by playing shows in Canada.

No he couldn't. He made statements about the seal hunt when he was last in Canada and they didn't make the press.

This protest is not really about Morrissey. It's a Peta campaign, and being a member of Peta and believing in their aims he's not in a position to suddenly decide that he's not going to support them anymore just because it's a bit inconvenient for some people.

If you join a campaigning group and then decide you're not going to join in, there's not really much point in you joining in the first place is there?

Just imagine how pissed off you'd be if he refused to play where you live, for a cause you may even support.

That's true and I've been saying it for months (well, in my head, not on the forum :p). I'm not a vegetarian, I don't like PETA, but I don't like seal hunting (see the avatar ;)). He's against many things in every country, so he shouldn't just pick one to boycott and alienate his fans...most of which agree with him! He could give a speech about it at all of his Canadian concerts, telling people petitions to sign or websites to visit or whatever, and getting more support for his cause than cutting off the whole nation.

Morrissey isn’t Bono he isn’t going to perform a concert in a nation just to gain publicity for the cause, when the Seal culling farce in Canada is known by people world wide. What can Morrissey do by performing on stage with “save the seals in the background”? He’ll add a bit more publicity to the P.E.T.A’s cause, but that’s all he’ll be doing, a nationwide boycott of Canada and Canadian sends a stronger message.

I wouldn’t be angered at all, I have seen Morrissey several times, it’s the Canadian fans problem for allowing this farce to continue and not conducting in a spot of activism to try and get this farce outlawed, I have no sympathy for the people. There is more to life than Morrissey.

Morrissey isn’t Bono he isn’t going to perform a concert in a nation just to gain publicity for the cause, when the Seal culling farce in Canada is known by people world wide. What can Morrissey do by performing on stage with “save the seals in the background”? He’ll add a bit more publicity to the P.E.T.A’s cause, but that’s all he’ll be doing, a nationwide boycott of Canada and Canadian sends a stronger message.

I wouldn’t be angered at all, I have seen Morrissey several times, it’s the Canadian fans problem for allowing this farce to continue and not conducting in a spot of activism to try and get this farce outlawed, I have no sympathy for the people. There is more to life than Morrissey.

Yeah, because Canadian Morrissey fans have complete control of their government.

Yeah, because Canadian Morrissey fans have complete control of their government.

Thatcher used the same argument about the boycott of South Africa in the eighties. It was a big influence on things eventually changing in that country though.

Talk about twisting my words to suit your own points. I guarantee a large proportion of Morrissey fans are apathetic towards the Canadian seal hunt; some will believe it is perfectly normal to slaughter hundreds of thousands of seals. Therefore the chances of them participating in activism is very small, however the ones who know Seal culling is inhumane and cruel, but refuse to do anything about it and turn a blind eye, deserve to be miss out on Morrissey. When will people learn that people ultimately hold the source of power, not their Governments? The one issue that stops this notion dead in its tracks is people apathy towards such issues.

Look no further than the poll tax riots of 1990, which bought down the once ‘immortal’ Margaret Thatcher.

I find it somehow hypocritical too that Morrissey refuses to play Canada (which sadly is one of the five countries conducting commercial seal hunting, the other four are Namibia, Greenland, Russia and NORWAY)..when he is quite willing and happy to play gigs in Norway, which is THE only country in the world that offers seal hunting as a "tourist" attraction.

I agree, Morrissey should play bucketloads of shows in Canada...and make his point clear in interviews there, at the gigs, wherever. What's the point in boycotting Canada? His Canadian followers are surely not to blame.

Boycotting Morrissey doesn't lead to solve the problem.
You'd better think positive approach/solution.

by starting this group it is not my intention to solve anything (id havto be pretty delusional to think that). this is simply a personal symbolic gesture on my part, one which others may join me in if they wish.

in this way, it is very similar to Morrissey's own boycott of Canada, as surely his actions hav no impact on the issue that he is supposedly protesting. the biggest difference between the two boycotts is that the boycott against Morrissey incurs no colateral damage as does Morrissey's boycott of Canada which effectively punishes perfectly innocent Canadian fans.

I find it somehow hypocritical too that Morrissey refuses to play Canada (which sadly is one of the five countries conducting commercial seal hunting, the other four are Namibia, Greenland, Russia and NORWAY)..when he is quite willing and happy to play gigs in Norway, which is THE only country in the world that offers seal hunting as a "tourist" attraction.

I agree, Morrissey should play bucketloads of shows in Canada...and make his point clear in interviews there, at the gigs, wherever. What's the point in boycotting Canada? His Canadian followers are surely not to blame.

Morrissey is going to boycott whatever P.E.T.A boycotts and I am sure Norway, Iceland, Japan and other nations which cull animals will be on the agenda, but it’s much more effective to try and inject influence on one nation at a time, rather than trying to influence several countries at once. No one is saying Morrissey’s Canadian fans are to blame for the annual cull, but unfortunately for them, they live in a country which promotes the slaughter of creatures as a once a year festival.

Back
Top Bottom