Boycott Moz

how many shows did morrissey play in canada? here's the rundown of his solo career. from passionsjustlikemine.com.:

2004 Oct 12 - Toronto (Canada), Hummingbird Theatre
2000 Feb 16 - Hamilton (Canada), Hamilton Place
1997 Oct 2 - Vancouver (Canada), Orpheum Theatre
1997 Sep 13 - Montreal (Canada), Théatre St-Denis
1997 Sep 12 - Toronto (Canada), Massey Hall
1992 Oct 5 - Vancouver (Canada), PNE Forum
1992 Sep 15 - Toronto (Canada), Maple Leaf Gardens
1991 Oct 28 - Vancouver (Canada), PNE Coliseum
1991 Jul 5 - Toronto (Canada), Kingswood Music Theatre

DID I MISS ANY?

so, here's what i think. yes i think morrissey is free to join PETA's boycott. people also need to realize he didn't do it because he is a 'conformist', who does what peta asks him to. on the contrary, i'm sure he realizes he doesn't play Canada enough, especially in the last decade, to skip this opportunity to join the PETA boycott AND MAKE A STATEMENT BY JOINING PETA. IF Peta wanted to boycott the US or UK, he wouldn't join--the reward (making a statement)/costs (money and not playing a tour, disappointing too many fans) ratio would be out of morrissey's favor. that is not the case with canada!! I see nothing pathetic about this, and i know clark and other canadians would disagree with me and call such a strategy pathetic. BUt, realize that politics and one's own personal business need to coexist some way!!

Unfortunately, if PETA does boycott the US or UK, there would no doubt be pressure for him to join due to this whole Canadian boycott ordeal. people don't understand:(

really canada. you are only missing a toronto show, with a very small chance of a vancouver show. morrissey is playing seattle so go down and see him there. and we still don't know if there is a buffalo show (close to toronto), but Ann Arbor isn't far from windsor (45 minutes).

edit: plus, it looks like the chances morrissey playing canada not in october or september are slim..statistically speaking of course. so he probably wasn't even going to play this time around...according to the data. but since the sample is so low (9 shows over 15 years), this edit is meant to be a joke.

Last edited:
irealize this wont be seen as a popular move by many, but for those who would feel the urge to post beligerently against "whinning, seal-clubbing Canadians" ipolitely ask that you simply ignore this thread and move on.

juste posting to let anyone who is interested know that ihav created a new group on facebook called "Boycott Moz" for all those jilted fans disappointed by Morrissey's statement last year in which he declared he would not be touring in Canada. anyone who would like to join is welcome.

boycott.jpg

oh please, if anything its more reason to support the man

if this is the case- that Morrissey, being a cause-celeb for PETA, felt as if he had no choice but to join in PETA's boycott against Canada- then that is a sad statement about Morrissey. for someone who has made a living, a reputatation, a legend out of being an outspoken non-conformist, it would be a pretty pathetic admission to say that he merely tows the line for the naive activists at PETA.

it would show Morrissey to be more than a little confused if, by boycotting Canada in this manner, he feels he is simply following PETA protocol. PETA has not abadonned their operations and campaigns in Canada as a result of "revelations" about the seal hunt- if anything, the seal hunt causes groups like PETA to ramp up their efforts inside Canada in hopes of effecting change in the issues that matter to them. for Morrissey to translate PETA's boycott of Canada as "do not go to Canada" would be missing the mark completely.

finally, there are many things in this world, in every country, that go against individuals' ethical approaches to life. the answer is not to make a blatantly inaccurate blanket statement and then turn away from everything and everyone, rather it is to attempt to engage others in intelligent debate about the issues in an effort to broker a compromise that tends closer to the ideal. without even getting into the hypocrisy and/or ignorance that surrounds Morrissey's actions, his boycott is an immature response capable of having little or no positive effect on the issue.

sorry but he is not a cause celebrity, he just says what he believes.

Maybe he won't come to Australia because PETA are boycotting with the sheep mulesing??

and I agree with comments made about wearing Gucci, it seems silly to give money to a company who use fur. Like Pam Anderson and her ugh boots...give it up!

Government sponsered and supported seal cull is going on in Canada... they make a festival out of it - a party!

I suppose you can say this or that is worse, but they tie this to their nation by going on about a tradition and blah blah... ITS JUST UGLY.

I wish the people in Canada would stop complaining and putting Morrissey down for his decisions - pointing out things he does not boycott and calling him a hyporcrite. Get on a plane or go do something about it if you don't like his beautiful decision... furthermore calling him names is certainly not going to attract him back! More flies with honey... why not write articles and get the published... make videos and put them on youtube... DO SOMETHING and show him you are going to fight and work to get him back.

And i don't want to hear about over population and loss of habitat... the solution to dead seals washing up on shore if they are not killed... is not killing them all in order to avoid the symptoms of imbalance in the ecosystem due to overhunting of predators and climate changes. No, killing the seals so as to avoid those realitiies is no answer... SO VIVA MOZ and piss off to the Canadian audience who starts turning on him just cause he is not touring Canada... stop being such babies. If you are hurt cause he dumped you for a bit you turn around and start calling him a this and that - Morrissey a hypocrite? give me a break! look at the loads and loads of people you could choose to call that name and you pick Mozza! HAA!

Did you hear the american audience bitching when it looked like he was not going to tour the states for this album? No. so shut up and get out on the ice and save a seal or get on a plane and stop whining about it.
im sick of that idiocy... and take that red slash off his face... Canadian complainers GET OFF THE STAGE! and stop turning so easily on Mozza.

"yes you're older now and you're a clever swine, but they were the only ones who ever stood by you."

:p

irealize this wont be seen as a popular move by many, but for those who would feel the urge to post beligerently against "whinning, seal-clubbing Canadians" ipolitely ask that you simply ignore this thread and move on.

juste posting to let anyone who is interested know that ihav created a new group on facebook called "Boycott Moz" for all those jilted fans disappointed by Morrissey's statement last year in which he declared he would not be touring in Canada. anyone who would like to join is welcome.
]

My friend, you are, for lack of a better word, "tripping".

Apologies.

He should tour Canada and when the media interview him in each city,he should speak out againsed the hunt.

The only people he is hurting are his Canadian fans.The only people who know about the boycott are his Canadian fans.

If he wants to get out a message about the horrible slaughter,he could do a lot more by speaking out.

AND.if he really wants to boycott,he should not release his mu$ic in Canada.

He should tour Canada and when the media interview him in each city,he should speak out againsed the hunt.

The only people he is hurting are his Canadian fans.The only people who know about the boycott are his Canadian fans.

If he wants to get out a message about the horrible slaughter,he could do a lot more by speaking out.

AND.if he really wants to boycott,he should not release his mu$ic in Canada.

touring canada is a waste...there is no demand.

he probably won't convince his record label not to sell his album(s) in canada. but not playing a single show in toronto every three years is totally different. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"there is no demand"

And THAT is the real reason he is not touring Canada.

i don't understand you...what do you mean by 'tour'? usually tour means going city to city to city. so morrissey never toured canada..ever. well, except a few shows in 1997. other than that...every so often he threw in a toronto show

Toronto,Montreal,Vancouver.

he is the one who said that he will not play (tour) Canada because of the hunt.

Not sure if he used the word "tour".

Morrissey is going to boycott whatever P.E.T.A boycotts and I am sure Norway, Iceland, Japan and other nations which cull animals will be on the agenda, but it’s much more effective to try and inject influence on one nation at a time, rather than trying to influence several countries at once.

says who? wouldnt you think it would be more effective to be consistent in your actions and condemn/boycott all nations who participate in a certain action that has been deemed inhumane rather than to pick and choose for reasons of perceived political advantage and thereby undermine your boycott of one offender with your continued support of another?

The seal cull is an absolute abomination as is much of humankind`s endeavours.He may be only one voice but all hail him for speaking up and shame on any Canadians who sit by and let it happen.

... it’s the Canadian fans problem for allowing this farce to continue and not conducting in a spot of activism to try and get this farce outlawed, I have no sympathy for the people.

I guarantee a large proportion of Morrissey fans are apathetic towards the Canadian seal hunt; some will believe it is perfectly normal to slaughter hundreds of thousands of seals. Therefore the chances of them participating in activism is very small, however the ones who know Seal culling is inhumane and cruel, but refuse to do anything about it and turn a blind eye, deserve to be miss out on Morrissey.

No one is saying Morrissey’s Canadian fans are to blame for the annual cull, but unfortunately for them, they live in a country which promotes the slaughter of creatures as a once a year festival.

Government sponsered and supported seal cull is going on in Canada... they make a festival out of it - a party!

I suppose you can say this or that is worse, but they tie this to their nation by going on about a tradition and blah blah... ITS JUST UGLY.

I wish the people in Canada would stop complaining and putting Morrissey down for his decisions - pointing out things he does not boycott and calling him a hyporcrite. Get on a plane or go do something about it if you don't like his beautiful decision... furthermore calling him names is certainly not going to attract him back! More flies with honey... why not write articles and get the published... make videos and put them on youtube... DO SOMETHING and show him you are going to fight and work to get him back.

these are all examples of unfair accussations and indictments leveled at Canadian citizens over the seal hunt.

#1 - there are, every year, numerous protests in Canada by Canadians opposing the seal hunt. (and ihonestly wonder how much the people who are accusing Canadians of not doing anything in protest are doing in protest themselves)

#2 - Canada does not promote the slaughter of seals. the United States does not promote the slaughter of cattle either.

#3 - most those who are so quick to jump on the anti-seal hunt bandwagon hav taken little if any time to try and understand the full context of the situation. people dont go out and kill seals juste for something to do. in fact, people dont just go out and kill seals- not in Canada anyway. the seal hunt is a highly regulated, highly monitored, seasonal hunt that provides a way of life for many people who hav very few alternatives available to them. its not as easy as classifying them all as monsters.

and to those who are saying (or trying to say) "you'll attract more bees with honey," implying that Canadians should be sweet talkin Moz and showing support for his cause rather than criticize if they want him to reconsider, remember how Morrissey attempted to court people to his cause:

"Construction of German gas chambers also provided work for someone - this is not a moral or sound reason for allowing suffering.
If you can, please boycott Canadian goods. It WILL make a difference. As things stand, Canada has placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation."

not exactly honey either.

Considering the nature of the thread, you've garnered more support than I'd have guessed.

Problem is, people haven't really thought this one through. It doesn't bother the average American that more white-tail deer are killed by BOW hunters in the US than seals in Canada, or that US cattle producers kill more cattle in a day.

Let's try a little question and answer:

1. Q: They club all those baby seals, don't they?
A: No. Over 90% are shot with rifles. The traditional hakpik (not a club) is still used mostly in northern areas.

2. Q: How much is one of those cute white seal pups worth?
A: Up to $500 000 in fines and 2 years in jail. Its been illegal to kill whitecoats for twenty years now.

3. Q: Are they really skinned alive?
A: Only if the hunters want to spend time in jail. Same law applies.

4. Q: Don't they just throw away the carcass?
A: No. They are usable for a variety of products.

5. Q: Isn't the seal population on the verge of collapse?
A: No way. It has tripled in the past 25 years. The same can't be said of the fishstocks that they eat. Those are being decimated.

6. Q: Isn't fur a dead industry?
A: Au contraire! Prices have nearly double in the past three years due to increasing demand.

So what we have is a country that licenses hunters, monitors it carefully for compliance with strict legslation, and regulates sales to an international market. And for that we are being singled out, my friend. Of all the hunters and harvesters in this world, Atlantic Canadians should be the ones to bear PETA's wrath. Why? Because we don't have the lobby cash that the cattle industry, for example, does. Because seal pups are cuter than wild turkeys, bears, deer, coyotes or any of the other animals legally hunted by the millions in every country on the planet. And, because people are easily swayed by sexy misinformation.

"Construction of German gas chambers also provided work for someone - this is not a moral or sound reason for allowing suffering.
If you can, please boycott Canadian goods. It WILL make a difference. As things stand, Canada has placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation."

I agree with that statement. Morrissey has all the right in the world to judge this inhumane, sickening treatment of living beings. Canada should be ashamed.

I never thought I'd find myself actually using Pamela Anderson as a model of proper behaviour, but she hosted the Juno Awards (Canadian Music etc awards that happen annually) since she is Canadian, and also a very big PETA enthusiast. She didn't boycott the WHOLE country, but hosted the awards and through them voiced her opinion on the seal hunt- much more effective than not even showing up in the country at all.

What I would have liked to see is Morrissey on Parlaiment Hill in Ottawa with the protestors, or playing anti-fur/seal clubbing concerts to raise awareness. That's a way to stop something from happening, not just releasing one statement a year ago and hoping the whole thing will go away.

duuuudesssss...my post above should have ended this sillly debate--it's been one year on!!! please reread. once again...in all his solo career, morrissey has only played 9 shows!!! 9!!! nine!!! 9 shows in Oh Canada!!

so you are only missing one toronto show!! or this could have been a tour morrissey wasn't going to play canada anyways!! SO why not make use of the opportunity and make a political statement?!?!

it's silly to say morrissey should tour canada, go city to city to raise awareness instead...there is no demand for him!!!!...9 shows!!! in over 15 years!!!!

morrissey took the easy and most rational route...join an existing PETA boycott (make political statement), because he wasn't giving up much (just, perhaps, one show and a few pissed of canadian fans).

he probably didn't realize someone like chrisarclark might come around, but he often makes haste decisions. was it somewhat silly...depends on the person. but it wasn't wrong, or so damn absurd like some of you make it out to be. it was an opportunity with little consequence for morrissey. hurrah for morrissey!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom