5 June 2004
Heineken Green Energy Festival, Dublin, Ireland

First Of The Gang To Die
Hairdresser On Fire
Irish Blood, English Heart
Subway Train/Everyday Is Like Sunday
Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
I'm Not Sorry
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
Let Me Kiss You
Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
No One Can Hold A Candle To You
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
America Is Not The World
Rubber Ring
/There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

The Dublin Castle Festival gig went down very well but it might be remembered less for Morrissey's performance than for a comment made about Ronald Reagan's death (read further). The venue was an open-air one and the concert started during daylight and ended right after sunset. Despite telling his fans he was tired from lack of sleep, Morrissey looked in fine form, he was enjoying himself and was very talkative. Alain looked tired though and actually mentioned being ill at some point into the show. He still gave a flawless performance.

The Morrissey Comeback special setup (Morrissey's name in tall letters made of red lights) introduced in Manchester two weeks earlier was now part of the tour set. It must be said though that in Dublin the letters were more bunched up together as the stage was smaller than the M.E.N. Arena. No one made it on stage as it was six feet high and a big distance away from the barrier.

Coming on stage after the "Imperfect List" intro, Morrissey greeted his fans in gaelic "Baile Átha Claith!". After the song he continued "Thank you... thank you... and you thought you'd come to see Britney... and you have!" (she was scheduled to perform in Dublin the next day). During the second song the flower Morrissey wore at his crotch when he came on stage was thrown into the audience. After that song he commented "Thank you... so far, so good...".

A few songs further down the setlist Morrissey decided to plug his new album: "As I think some of you know we have a new album out... it's called... (crowds shouts 'You Are The Quarry!' but Morrissey says)... 'You Ate The Curry'" which made many people laugh in the audience as well as on stage. After the next song "I'm Not Sorry", for some reason Morrissey said "Hello Liverpool". Before "Let Me Kiss You" Morrissey enquired "And of course a massive applause to Damo [support Damien Dempsey] for opening tonight [mixed response from crowd]... What do you mean, boo? Do you mean woooh or boo? [same mixed response]... Does that mean you find him sexually attractive? I don't see it myself...".

Before "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice", Morrissey's musicians were introduced as being from the Liberties (area of Dublin). After introducing each one of them, he finished by himself, saying in a funny voice "...and I'm the lovely Morrissey!". After "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday", Morrissey had his traditional chat with front row regular Julia Riley. After saying hello he asked her the usual questions about how she was and whether or not she slept well. After "A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours" (in which he sang "My youth may be gone, but I'm still a good man!") he told the audience that Julia could tell them that he occasionally could sing that song in tune.

"The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" was introduced with "I won't mention fat old Britney but it so happens that the world is full of crashing bores...". On a more serious note, after that song he enquired about people's voting intentions in an upcoming referendum about citizenship for immigrants: "Are you going to vote yes or no?". The answers were mostly "No!" so Morrissey simply concluded "Sounds like a no then!".

For "I Have Forgiven Jesus", Morrissey said "This is a song I sing out of tune... do you care?". This is when Alain apologised for his bad condition: "Do you mind if I say hello?... I'm not so well... So if I'm not playing well that's my excuse...". Alain took the microphone again before "America Is Not The World" to say "We're gonna try this one". The song had only been performed once during the earlier warm up shows and would only be performed once again after this. Morrissey changed the "I love you" line near the end of the song to "I onced loved you... I used to love you".

Morrissey came back for the encore in a Jobriath t-shirt that soon ended up in the crowd, like his Gucci one did, earlier. He then made an announcement that would later be repeated in the press: "I would like to tell you that while we were on stage tonight Ronald Reagan died [crowd cheers]... and of course the only unfortunate thing is that it wasn't George W Bush [more crowd cheers]". At the end of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", Morrissey left the stage followed by his musicians one by one, in the same fashion observed on the previous section of the tour.

The concert was recorded and was broadcast within a few days on Irish radio station 2FM. A few songs were cut out of the broadcast (see radio concerts for details), as well as, predictably, the controversial comments about George Bush.

Read more about this concert and see photos offsite at MorrisseyTour.com and Morrissey-Solo.

The 14 songs from the radio broadcast are easily found on a factory pressed bootleg titled "Poet's Justice" which also includes 5 songs performed for Zane Lowe's ("Irish Blood English Heart", "First Of The Gang To Die" and "Shoplifters Of The World Unite") and John Peel's ("Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" and "No One Can Hold A Candle To You") BBC radio programmes on 19 May 2004. This is also found with alternate title "Green Energy".

A different bootleg, this one titled "You Ate The Curry", features the same 14-song radio broadcast, paired with the following radio sessions from 2004: "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" (Peel session), "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" (Zane Lowe session), "I'm Playing Easy To Get" (Janice Long), "Redondo Beach" (Janice Long), "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small" (Janice Long).

info from passions just like mine

Back
Top Bottom