Help with My Research Paper!

thewarroom

Scorpion Kicker
I'm writing a paper on censorship in popular music for my english class. I would like to include items about times that The Smiths may have encountered issues with censors or the public in general.

I know all about the troubles that they had w/ Handsome Devil and Reel but was there anything else that I am missing.

Also I think I read something about Ouija Board getting banned from certain stores for some reason, any truth to this?

If anyone can include sources as to where this info could be found it would be deeply appreciated.

Warrie

"shoplifters" was a bit controversial, there was a tory who said it glamorised and encouraged shoplifting, but it was just that one bloke who got offended (he must have been offended by everything) and it didn't get banned.
"stop me" was banned from radio because of the line about a shy bald buddhist planning a mass murder - at the time there was a massacre (hungerford) so it would have been controversial to release it.
sorry i dont have more details, wikipedia might have more.

Moors Murderers contoroversy on Suffer Little Children.
You'll find a lot of information on this.

^^
As Kewpie says, a relative to one of the victims was originally very offended by "Suffer Little Children" as he thought they was just using it.

"Margaret On The Guillotine" is also a given choice as he had his house searched plus he was questioned (?) after releasing it. Some of this experience can be found in "He Knows I'd Love To See Him".

Cheers

here I nicked this off Viv Nicholsons website

"In 1984 Viv appeared on the Sleeve of a record by British group 'The Smiths' they used one of the pictures taken of Viv when she returned to the old house after Keiths death on their 3rd single 'Heaven Knows i'm Miserbale now' which entered the UK Top 10 in 1984, however it caused some controversy when people mistook the photo, saying it was a picture of Myra Hindley, this rumour was made worse by the fact that the B.side of this single was a song about the Moors Murders called 'Suffer the Children' which pushed various shops into withdrawing the single from their shelves.

The Smiths then used another photo of Viv on the sleeve of another Record called 'Barbarism Begins at Home'. The photo was of Viv at the Pit head just before she left to go to Malta.

Morrissey who was the lead singer of the band at the time was fasinated by Viv and her story. He invited her to a concert in Blackpool and then invited her onto the stage to raptuous applause from Fans. Viv was over welmed by their response. Some wore T.shirts with the Picture of her on the front.

A few years later, Viv travelled round London in an open top car chatting with Morrissey on a recording of the 'South Bank Show' for a Documentary filmed about the Band"

love

Grim

Back
Top Bottom