Angelic Upstarts

R

Rick & Bruce

'Reason Why?'is the only record by the Angelic Upstarts we have. Of course the only reason for buying it was that Morrissey seemed to never stop talking about them at one time. We can't quite imagine Morrissey loving it (which is another way of saying that it doesn't get played much here). The energy rush in it is good and the political position is right. Who else here has A.U records? What are the must-haves?

ps feel free to start 'My favourite punk bands' thread

> ps feel free to start 'My favourite punk bands' thread

Stiff Little Fingers.

WorkingGirlx

> 'Reason Why?'is the only record by the Angelic Upstarts we have.

'I'm An Upstart' was an 1980 favourite at the 'British Queen' near Tottenhams Ground.. That and 'Last Night Another Soldier' about Northern ireland.. But yes, can't see any influenec in Morrisseys work from the Upstarts!!

Well.. now you're talking.. 'The Damned' for the music, the Capatin, and the attitude, 'The Members' for Nicky Tesco's amusing lyrics... And 'The Ruts' for Staring At The Rude Boys' and 'Babylons Burning'..

Ahhhh! Babylons Burning. If only.

New Rose by the Undertaker and Crew, what a thing of beauty.

Poly Styrene and the X Ray-spex, Identity. Like a great big mug of tea?

and my all time favs,

Crass..........

Bloody Revolutions...
Nagasaki Nightmare....
Big Hands...........

What did we get for their trouble and pain?

WorkingGirlx

> 'I'm An Upstart' was an 1980 favourite at the 'British Queen'
> near Tottenhams Ground.. That and 'Last Night Another Soldier'
> about Northern ireland.. But yes, can't see any influenec in
> Morrisseys work from the Upstarts!!

> Well.. now you're talking.. 'The Damned' for the music, the
> Capatin, and the attitude, 'The Members' for Nicky Tesco's
> amusing lyrics... And 'The Ruts' for Staring At The Rude Boys'
> and 'Babylons Burning'..

Spot on there with The Ruts, not only for the two song you mentioned, but also 'H eyes', 'Demolition Dancing', 'SUS', 'Secret Soldier', and the class reggae crossovers 'Jah War' and 'Love In Vain'. Ruts DC were good too, but never really fulfilled there potential for various reasons. 'Sound Of The Suburbs' by The Members is a classic, and The Damned made great songs well into the 80's, there version of 'Eloise' and 'Grimley Fiendish' for example.

Other Punk/New Wave bands I rate who don't always get namdropped are The Undertones, The Only Ones, Gang Of Four, and The Adverts, to name a few.

> 'Reason Why?'is the only record by the Angelic Upstarts we have.
> Of course the only reason for buying it was that Morrissey
> seemed to never stop talking about them at one time. We can't
> quite imagine Morrissey loving it (which is another way of
> saying that it doesn't get played much here). The energy rush in
> it is good and the political position is right. Who else here
> has A.U records? What are the must-haves?

Oh, what a fun subject! As far as Angelic Upstarts are concerned, you also need to get "Reason why?" . I'm not a big punk fan, but you just got to love everything the British and Irish touched in the late 70s and early 80s. Other notable punk and post-punk albums include:

The Undertones- The Undertones (their career in a whole sounds much like The Jams)

The Buzzcocks- Times up

The Chords- So Far Away

The Members- Sounds Of The Suburb

The Jam- In The City (but their best album in my opinion was The Gift)

Gang Of Four- Entertainment

Cockney Rejects- Greatest hits volume 2

It's a shame punk died in the early 80s

> Oh, what a fun subject! As far as Angelic Upstarts are
> concerned, you also need to get "Reason why?" . I'm
> not a big punk fan, but you just got to love everything the
> British and Irish touched in the late 70s and early 80s. Other
> notable punk and post-punk albums include:

> The Undertones- The Undertones (their career in a whole sounds
> much like The Jams)

> The Buzzcocks- Times up

> The Chords- So Far Away

> The Members- Sounds Of The Suburb

> The Jam- In The City (but their best album in my opinion was The
> Gift)

> Gang Of Four- Entertainment

> Cockney Rejects- Greatest hits volume 2

> It's a shame punk died in the early 80s

Sorry, but I didn't notice you listed "Reason why?" as the only one you have. Anyway, I meant to say you should get their first lp, "Teenage Warning". It's more straight foward punk and not as catchy as "Reason Why?", but still a good album.

> Spot on there with The Ruts, not only for the two song you
> mentioned, but also 'H eyes', 'Demolition Dancing', 'SUS',
> 'Love In Vain'.

All good songs.. Reggae/Punk crossovers.. And lest not us forget Malcolm Owen RIP.. (that was his name wasn't it?) lead singer with the Ruts..

. 'Sound Of The > Suburbs' by The Members is a classic,

The Album where the single 'Sound of the suburbs' came from is superb.. the amusing lyrics of 'Solitary Confinement', 'Love In a Lift'.. and 'At A Chelsea Nightclub' (which may have been the albums title) is superb.. And the guitar playing on the opening track 'Walking with the Big Jets' (or some title like that) is amazing.. Punks with humour that could play (like the Ruts)

and The Damned made great songs well into the 80's, there version of 'Eloise' and 'Grimley Fiendish' for example.

Sorry, these songs (in my opnion) is when the Damned lost it a bit for me.. 'MachineGun Etiquette' was there high water mark.. And that version of 'White Rabbits'.. well.. I can hear it now.

> Other Punk/New Wave bands I rate who don't always get namdropped
> are The Undertones, The Only Ones, Gang Of Four, and The
> Adverts, to name a few.

Undertones of course.. and then the boys went on to form the equally impressive 'That Petrol Emotion' ..

I used to love early Tom Robinson Band as well.. and anyone remember 'The Leighton Buzzards'... Saturday night beneath the plastic palm trees.. a hymn to Tottenham night clubs!

Interesting that no-one has mentioned The Pistols or the Clash.. we must know our stuff not to go for the obvious....

> Interesting that no-one has mentioned The Pistols or the Clash..
> we must know our stuff not to go for the obvious....

Ok I am really not into punk but I have never considered The Clash punk. I guess they may be the main starter or inspiration for it but I really know NOTHING about punk because I just don't care to listen to it (although I realize some of it is good) Ok so I had to say that I obviously wouldn't know my stuff here but that i like the Clash alot. Ok that was a pretty pointless ramble,

Kirstie

Re: The CLASH/Punk comment

> Ok I am really not into punk but I have never considered The
> Clash punk. I guess they may be the main starter or inspiration
> for it but I really know NOTHING about punk because I just don't
> care to listen to it (although I realize some of it is good) Ok
> so I had to say that I obviously wouldn't know my stuff here but
> that i like the Clash alot. Ok that was a pretty pointless
> ramble,

NO.. your ramble is relevant.. It's interesting.. I (we) make assumptions that we know all the bands mentioned here sometimes.. but the punk thing was generally a preciously British movement.. At the time against the backdrop of AOR American bands and worse still, BRitish novelty records.. Punk breathed life where before, there existed a vaccuumm.. and then alternative music grew up.. and people like the Smiths were given the chances where none existed previously ..

PS, Re Clash.. I loved Guns Of Brixton.. and seeing the Manics last Friday coming out of Brixton 'Tube' Station, I was confronted by a Pearly King and a youth wearing the T-Shirt with that very name on.. I have arived I thought!!

Back
Top Bottom