Greatest Lyricist Ever

gaz217

Apart from Morrissey of course who do you think has consistently wrote superb lyrics or ones that mean a lot to you?

Mine would be either be Tim Booth from James or Noel Gallagher from Oasis. Both have never written a bad song in my opinion.

Apart from Morrissey of course who do you think has consistently wrote superb lyrics or ones that mean a lot to you?

Mine would be either be Tim Booth from James or Noel Gallagher from Oasis. Both have never written a bad song in my opinion.

Personally i don't think Noel's that great a lyricist, listen to say 'She's Electric' to realise that...a great songwriter perhaps...isn't there a difference?
Jarvis Cocker is a good lyricist, as is Billy Bragg, David Gedge, Gordon Macintyre of Ballboy, Tracy-Anne from Camera Obscura and lastly the generally overlooked Trashcan Sinatras.

I'm sure people will disagree with some i said but that's the way it should be.

Cheers!

James Grant is a brilliant song writer. As a member of Love and Money and a solo artist he simply hasn't written a bad or even mediocre song. Add to that a near perfect voice and a superb musician, it's a scandal that he's never had the success he so deserves. If you've never heard his music, you're really missing out on something.

Jeff Buckley was a superb lyricist; what little of his work there is is testament to the talent he had in that department. He had an amazing voice as well, and a visionary musical direction.

Other lyricists worthy of such merit include: David Bowie, Michael Stipe, Jarvis Cocker, David Byrne and Patti Smith. Also, let me share a stroke of genius from an unlikely candidate: Blondie. This is the opening to '11: 59' from the album 'Parallel Lines':

Leaning in your corner like a candidate for wax
Side-walk social scientists don't get no satsifaction

Awesome lines.

Jeff Buckley has been mentioned. The only others that really meant anything to me were Joe Strummer, Elvis Costello, and in particular, Neil Hannon. I know some people think he's a smart-arse, but his layering upon layer of metaphor is genius, as witnessed in "Charge" from "Casanova".

Peter

Colin Meloy's excellent in my opinion.

Some of my fave lyricists, which in no way answers the question asked.....

Jarvis, Amanda Palmer (Dresden Dolls), Gruff (Super Furries), Jesse Lacey (Brand New), Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks), Chino (Deftones), Nicky & Richey (Manics), Tracey Anne (Camera Obscura), Stuart Murdoch

jacques

Chas n Dave

rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.
you got a beautiful chin,
you got beautiful skin,
you got a beautiful face,
you got taste,
you got beautiful eyes,
you got beautiful thighs,
you got a lot without a doubt,
but i think bout blowin u out,

coz you wont stop talkin,
why dont you give it a rest?,
you got more rabbit than sainsburys,
its time you got it off your chest,

Inspired lyrics

(you can tell I'm bored, think it's bed time!)

Lou Reed
Ron Mael
Ray Davies

These are not my faves, but very good lyricists indeed:
Bryan Ferry
Van Morrison
Bruce Springsteen
Phil Lynott
Paul Simon

My favourites are:

David Bowie
Morrissey
Dylan
Jacques Brel
Lou Reed
Bryan Ferry
Thom Yorke
Ray Davies
Syd Barrett
Scott Walker
Richey Edwards

[...] Neil Hannon. I know some people think he's a smart-arse, but his layering upon layer of metaphor is genius, as witnessed in "Charge" from "Casanova".

Peter

agreed, sir. wholeheartedly.

also: paul simon ...until about 1971. (i don't know what the f*** happened to his brain after that).

agreed, sir. wholeheartedly.

also: paul simon ...until about 1971. (i don't know what the f*** happened to his brain after that).

I tend to agree, but the title track from "Hearts and Bones" (released 1980 I think) is as gorgeous a piece of music as any.

EDIT: I just noticed that I'm halfway to post #666 :).

David Bowie
Mattias Alkberg
Leonard Cohen
Bruce Springsteen
Patti Smith

To but mention a few...

Back
Top Bottom