Greatest Lyricist Ever

Adam Duritz (Counting Crows)
Damon Gough (Badly Drawn Boy)
Nick Drake

And I would agree that James have written some excellent lyrics, but they are too dour without the sort of humour/wit that Morrissey exudes in his lyrics.

I just thought that some of the songs of Difford & Tilbrook (Squeeze) are excellent. Not ambiguous, not take-what-you-want, but story-telling lyrics.

Peter

Ian Curtis, Black Francis, Nigel Blackwell(HMHB), Nick Drake, John Lydon(Pistols era), Benny & Bjorn(ABBA), Kate Bush, Pete Townshend, Syd Barrett.
It's hard to narrow it down any further since there are so many different styles involved.

bobby d
patti smith
richard hell

Bernard Sumner from New Order.

John Lennon, Paul McCartney

Bruce Springsteen

Ray Davies from the Kinks.

Carol King

Paul Simon

Sometimes song lyrics that work really well in a song read as sort of silly or incomplete without the music, but I'd still have to say that KC and the Sunshine Band write some very good lyrics.

I'm your boogie man
that's what I am
I'm here to do
whatever I can

The writer says so much in such a short few words. He establishes his identity and his dedication to the situation...

Wait, I just wrote a new song. That's mine!

Sometimes song lyrics that work really well in a song read as sort of silly or incomplete without the music...

Spot on! I have nothing to add to that, though I have thought and felt that quite a bit.

Hats off to the guy who mentioned the Trashcan Sinatras! My favourite ever band apart from, well....you know.....

Anyway, Billy Bragg, Ian Dury, Paul Simon, Ray Davies, Van Morrison, Leonard Cohen, Jackson Browne, Lou Reed.

Goes without saying that Dylan's out on his own though....

Apart from Morrissey of course:

1. Bob Dylan
2. Leonard Cohen
3. Roger Waters
4. Joni Mitchell
5. Joe Strummer
6. Elvis Costello
7. Mark E Smith
8. Ian Curtis
9. Conor Oberst
10. Ray Davies

Back