Peter Murphy

robert-smith.jpg

Robert Smith

martingore02.jpg

Martin Gore

sabbath.jpg

Leonard Cohen

Laughing Len, hands down.

Robert Smith. I'm a pretty big Cure fan and I'm getting more and more into them everyday, rediscovering old stuff and discovering stuff I didn't have before.

I have voted for Robert Smith for the simple reason I had a crush on him in my yoof. This however was maybe the wrong reason to vote as it has nothing to do with the music, and c'mon none of them can ever come close to Moz as far as i'm concerned.

do i have to pick one of these? coz i don't prefer any of them:eek: i know, shocking

That's a very hard choice!

I picked Martin Gore, Depeche Mode is one of my favourite bands (even though I dislike their early stuff, but that's mostly the Vince Clarke-penned stuff like Just Can't Get Enough - yuk). Besides, his covers turned out to be quite wonderful (great choice of songs!) And while Dave is a great singer and frontman, I love Martin's voice at least as much as Dave's.

I like The Cure a lot too... but I only love some of their albums, while I strongly dislike some others. Robert Smith is a great frontman, but his voice... I only managed to find it tolerable with time.

Peter Murphy has the best voice out of those 4, and actually he is one of my favourite singers, maybe right after Moz. He was also a great frontman (and how memorable is his appearance in The Hunger?), although I'm not such a bug fan of Bauhaus. I prefer some of his solo stuff... he recorded a few of my all-time favourite songs: Strange Kind Of Live, All Night Long, Marlene Dietrich's Favourite Poem.

Of course, old Leonard is a great, great lyricist...and his voice perfectly matches his music. That sombre style is excellent in its own way, but I often prefer other people's covers of his songs... and he seems to be winning the poll anyway.

Shouldn't this be on Other Music?

Back
Top Bottom