pet shop boys

They are NOT sissy. They just make completely different music and have another style.

I'm very suprised to see such a post from you. I thought you'd hate them because you called me a "sarcastic barstard" in another topic where I wrote something about the PSB.

By the way, in our PSB community we have some huge Morrissey fans as well and the PSB like Morrissey.

It was mere coincidence when I discovered this article. I posted it on our PSB-forum and they were delighted and someone said it would make a dream come true if Morrissey and the PSB would make a song together. And he's not the only one.

And just yesterday night I discovered an internet chat where Moz was talking about Neil Tennant. I really had to laugh. "I'm working on his hair."

So, if your comment is supposed to be serious I'd like to speak about the PSB with you. If it's a joke then not. :)

And I'm sure there are more people outside here who likes the PSB as well, although if they're very different.

@mike: Tell me, which song do you like most?

Pet shop boys are... nice. To me their music is completely neutral. It's not annoying (except those songs I've heard about 17 million times like West End girls or Suburbia) but it's not deep and moving. It's like listening to your car engine (unless you really hate the sound of a car engine), it calms you but it evokes no emotions and therefore doesn't bring much pleasure. I'm sure there is a song or two that are exceptions but I can't think of them now.

the 2 I have seen were like broadway productions..

This is exactly one of the things I love about them! Their Performance tour in 1991 was amazing. All the costumes and wigs. And Derek Jarman directed their very first tour in 1989, of course with crazy Jarman-style background projections and costumes. I've never seen another band doing this.

But they calmed down in the last years because those shows costs too much money. But they're always open for unusual projects like writing a musical or playing 2 complete weeks in a theatre in London's West End or doing the soundtrack for a russian silent movie (Battleship Potemkin) shown on Trafalgar Square. Now they're thinking of writing a ballet. So, they are always open for strange projects and to be a fan of them is never boring.

And recently I found some similarities between Morrissey and the PSB-singer: both love Oscar Wilde, both hate Thatcher and the current government, both were writing for music magazins (Neil Tennant as proper journalist for Smash Hits and Morrissey as reader for NME), both liked the punk scene when they were young, both liked Sandie Shaw when they were young, both very love to read and I wouldn't be suprised if there are more things.

@maxstuff: Which shows did you see?

I saw them in Atlanta for the Nightlife tour and then Detroit in 2006..Both were awesome shows..and I traveled many hours to go to each show. I like the fact that you can just sit and watch them like a Broadway musical..always something to see..

I really like PSB's. They're good song writers who've consistently produced good quality music for over 20 years. They always work with good producers & remixers on their music and in doing so have contributed to the growth of dance music as a whole.

I know PSB's have been to see Morrissey live but I wonder if Mozzer has ever been to see PSB's. I expect not which is a shame as he's missing out if he hasn't been.

I remember seeing psb doing opportunities on The whistle test, a real stripped down version it was superb and then.........okay

I'm very delighted and (positively) surprised about your comments! I thought you wouldn't like them because they're so different.

Speaking about sissy: Would sissy musicians doing remixes for Rammstein, Bloodhound Gang and The Killers?

@maxstuff: You should have seen their Performace tour. THIS was almost a broadway show. They lost £1 million on this tour. Sometimes you really have to prioritise. :) If you should ever come across to a VHS of the show please buy it because it's really worth.

I know PSB's have been to see Morrissey live but I wonder if Mozzer has ever been to see PSB's. I expect not which is a shame as he's missing out if he hasn't been.

I think the same. I never heard he was in the audience. I should give him a ticket on the next tour if I only knew his address. :D

Just to clarify what WHY? said, PSB knew beforehand they would lose 1 million pounds before touring, but they did it anyway.

When they devised the lego-type Very case, around 60p came out of their royalties for each one sold, because it was so elaborate. They didn't care.

Johnny Marr has said "The Pet Shop Boys are The Smiths you can dance to". Neil Tennant later said "The Smiths are the Pet Shop Boys you can sit down to".

Just to clarify what WHY? said, PSB knew beforehand they would lose 1 million pounds before touring, but they did it anyway.

That's it!!! Exactly! They never care what amount of money they could earn. If they want to do something they do it. They are making their dreams come true whatever it costs. There are so many reasons I love them.

Johnny Marr has said "The Pet Shop Boys are The Smiths you can dance to". Neil Tennant later said "The Smiths are the Pet Shop Boys you can sit down to".

My laugh of the day!!! It's the very first time I hear that! Thank you for posting. It's really funny!

Last edited:
October Symphony with Johnny Marr on guitar is their most beautiful song of all time!

I like the Pet shop boys a lot but I see them as a single group, never could listen to an entire album

I like the Pet shop boys a lot but I see them as a single group, never could listen to an entire album
I think the 80s stuff is a little like that: fantastic singles albeit on inconsistent albums. However, I'm a really big fan of their last few releases, which I think are superb albums. Talking about Nightlife, Release and Fundamental. I think perhaps that the singles released for these albums weren't perhaps the brilliant pop songs that they used to release (not to say I don't like them!) but I think nowadays their strength shines through most across a whole album.

Also songs like 'The Night I Fell In Love' make me feel all fuzzy inside ^_^, and I think 'Casanova In Hell' is also quite touching in its own way! Would love to see them live at some point, I just don't know anybody who likes them >_<.

They're great, one of my favorites, and I agree about the last few albums, but I'd add Very, and Behaviour, too. My favorite songs change but I really like Kings Cross, Electricity, This Must Be The Place I've Waited Years To Leave, For Your Own Good, Theater, and many, many more. I thought their cover of Where The Streets Have No Name was one of the funniest things ever.

Thanks for posting the interview with Morrissey, and that scan of the magazine .

Boys, YOU make me very happy!!! :D

Most of the posts are concentrating on their dance roots but they have written some great 'sad' songs to like 'Jealousy' or 'Only The Wind'.

Jealousy!!! I LOVE the orchestra at the end!! What a song to finish Behaviour! And what a start with "Being Boring". It's their most "dreaming" album. Think of "To face the truth". The way Neil sings.... I fell hoplessly in love with him when I was 13. :D

My favourite song is "Do I Have To?" (b-side of Always On My Mind) and I had a car crash 2 years ago because I was so in trance while hearing it. At least it was just a car body damage (but very expensive) and no one injured. I should drive more carefully but sometimes....

I think perhaps that the singles released for these albums weren't perhaps the brilliant pop songs that they used to release

Since a couple of years they used to make the same mistakes: releasing the wrong songs. I'll never forget them they didn't release For Your Own Good. It's one of their best songs!!! The same with "The Sodom And Gomorrah Show". My favourite on Fundamental. They published "I'm with stupid" instead. Not their wisest decision.

I think 'Casanova In Hell' is also quite touching in its own way

Yep, that's a really cute song! My friend doesn't like it that much. But I love it!!

Would love to see them live at some point, I just don't know anybody who likes them >_<.

Uh, what a pity! I had the same problem with Morrissey because no one of my people here knew him at all. So I went alone. Wasn't that good but I do everything to see Moz. :D

Where are you from? Manchester? On my first Moz concert me and two another PSB fans decided to tavel to the next Morrissey concert in Manchester and climbing on the stage.

But maybe here's someone on the forum who lives near you and you can got together? Neil&Chris wanted to tour at the beginning of this year again, actually. But I think it's cancelled now. I saw them last year. They love Germany very much and are touring here quite often. That doesn't help you, I know. But in case I should ever come to Manchester and the PSB are on tour there I'm going to pick you up and we will be in the front row!

Did anyone hear the soundtrack for this russian still movie Battleship Potempkin, then? I love classical music and this mixed with their typical electronic music - it's so amazing!

BTW, me and my friend met Chris Lowe here in Hamburg in a clothes store - in the baby clothes department holding a pair of very small trousers in his hands. That was the strangest view I ever sighted. But he was accompanied by his cute mother and sister and the clothes were for his niece. He was sooooo nice and in a good mood. Normally he used to run away if fans approach to him.

And - we have the same "problem" with him as we have with Morrissey: Chris Lowe never speaks about his sexuality and if someone tries this he's getting
very angry - without an answer, of course. He's supposed to be gay but I wouldn't bet on it. A couple of years agot I read in a fanclub magazine that he was really into the chest of a young beautiful woman. But I think he's mostly gay such as Morrissey. Hey, we could make a match between them! ;)

October Symphony with Johnny Marr on guitar is their most beautiful song of all time!

Indeed!!!

But not to forget Johnny's work on "This must be the place I waited years to leave"! *sighs*

Both Neil and Chris are very gay. Neil does the talking, which is why you don't really hear Chris say anything. Neil talks about his homosexuality, Chris doesn't talk much, period.

The new documentary "A Life In Pop" is really amazing. I've never seen Chris in such a good mood before. And him playing "It's A Sin" at the beginning on the giant organ; I think it's the first time I've seen him actually play keyboards.

Back
Top Bottom