pet shop boys

Pet Shop Boys are truly awful, as poster boys for the synth pop genre they have much to answer for. There songs have about as much emotion as a fridge with none of those coloured letters making funny sentances

Neil does the talking, which is why you don't really hear Chris say anything.

Yes, but it's just in public like that. As you could see in "A Life In Pop" (btw, I'm glad you like it): in real life Chris is the one who talks more then Neil. Neil was saying that years ago and obviously it never changed.

And I was really surprised that Neil was the one who asked Chris once to stop the PSB and Chris just ignored him speaking. I used to think Chris would be the one who'd stop the band because he seems not to be very motivated. After all these years being a fan there a more and more surprises coming to light.

Neil talks about his homosexuality, Chris doesn't talk much, period.

This is the only topic he refuses to talk about. Such as Morrissey. Chris is a very privat person. And it became worse when his (male) lover died in the 90's (Aids).

I've never seen Chris in such a good mood before.

No, that's true! He was always shy in the public and runs away when seeing fans. But when I met him in that shopping mall he was soooo nice and in a good mood. Maybe he was/is in love? Nobody knows. Anyway, I'm glad to see him happy again because I know him in a worse situation where all the fans were very worried about him.

I think it's the first time I've seen him actually play keyboards.

LOL! In fact he's very underrated. Just to remember: he writes all the music. ;) Most people think he's just pretending to play keyboard. It might be possible in a TV show but not on concerts or in the studio. And he's really able to play a trombone.

@Psychedelia: Their songs have as much emotion as a fridge? No no, you just listened to the wrong ones. Most people just hear the synths and thinking "cold as much as a fridge" and ignores the lyrics. Some of their lyrics are not bad, you know. And when you hear their music more carefully you'd hear more orchestras in the background than Morrissey ever used. For me their music is very emotional.

I like the songs I've heard by them, but never looked any further than what I've already heard.

Neil has said the song Miserablism was about, or for Morrissey.

It seems to me there's something serious beginning
A new approach found to the meaning of life
Deny that happiness is open as an option
And disappointment disappears over night

Say that love is an impossible dream
Face the facts, that's what it's always been
Relax, what you see is what you've seen
What you get, is a new philosophy

(That's what you got, that's what you get)

Miserablism, is is and isn't isn't

Meanwhile your life is still directed as a drama
With realism on the sparsest of sets
Every performance tends to reach the same conclusion
No happy endings but a message to depress
Saying life is an impossible scheme
That's the point of this philosophy

But if is wasn't, and isn't were
You can't be sure, but you might find ecstasy

(Oh no)

Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning
(get get get)
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth
You know, life is an impossible scheme
And love an imperceptible dream

Miserable

I remember seeing psb doing opportunities on The whistle test, a real stripped down version it was superb and then.........okay

heheh here is the very performance you reference - just watchin it now!!

Last edited by a moderator:
They're probably the only band that has sustained their genius thoughout a relatively long career by pop standards, albeit with some bumps in the road. By my count, they've put out 6 truly astonishing albums, up there with the best ever. That's, say, twice as much as our man Moz has managed, and they only had a two year headstart.

Seriously, any band that can produce an album as effortlessly breathtaking as Fundamental after over 20 years together simply cannot be underestimated. Now that album is a real return to form, forget silly little Ringleader.

Flamboyant is a big tune which shows that they can make amazing songs in the latter part of their career!

Neil has said the song Miserablism was about, or for Morrissey.

:eek: Really? I didn't know!!!! How great is that?? What kind of news I get here.... it's brilliant!

I can't watch the video here on my work. Hmpf.

Oki, now home again I was looking in my Reissue booklet of Behaviour and I found that information about "Miserablism":

Chris: Is it a real word? That's the first question.
Neil: It's become one, I notice. I've seen it used. I think we wrote this at the beginning of 1990, during the shoe-gazing period, when Morrissey was huge as a solo artist. It's another song sort of written from the point of view of being Morrissey - the first song like that being "Getting away with it", the Electronic single, which I wrote most of the words of. "Getting away with it" is looking at Morrissey's persona of being miserable and all the rest of it, and saying that he's been getting away with it for years. It's meant to be humorous. "Miserablism" is a satire, a little like "How can you expect to be taken seriously?" What bugged me about the shoe-gazers always looking really miserable is that people think someone like that is really serious. It's something that endlessly bugs me in pop music - that someone with the style of being serious is always accepted as being serious. And also that anyone being playful is then not taken serious, whereas actually being playful is actually more difficult than being 'serious', and possibly can end up being a lot more serious at the same time. The words to this song were inspired by someone telling me that they asked their father on his deathbed what it was like, and he said: 'is is, isn't isn't'. And I thought that was a great quote, and a very kind of miserablist way of looking at the world. There's no romance - the only thing that exists is what really exists.
Chris: And of course it was quoted by Clinton only a couple of years ago. 'That depends what the definition of "is" is.' A direct reference to the lyrics of Neil Tennant.

@Dave: Thank you for the link! This is really amazing and I learnt a few new things!!! I have to post it on our PSB board.

This here is funny:

Chris: We never let go. Ever. Even with punctuation. It's frightening. I can't see anyone from any record company ever writing an email to Neil and not getting it back, with corrections.

Morrissey doesn't like writing words wrong as well. They are so similar.

I've been a massive Pet Shop Boys fan (we're called Petheads, apparently) since I was nine years old. My whole understanding of pop music has grown from them.

Harry

(we're called Petheads, apparently)

Yes, we are. I think it's very practical to have an own fan base name. You can name the main PSB forum like that, the fan section on the official homepage and so on.

Morrissey has so many nick names but we fans have not. Hmmm.

a few days ago i found out about this and i just couldn't believe it... but it's truuuuuuueeee!!!!!

You're lucky! They wanted to tour Europe this year but it's only one festival concert announced so far for Germany.

But for all the others who wanted to go the a PSB concert you can check here if your city is in the list. Maybe they will expand the tour. I hope so.

BTW, PSB-Online is a very good site, always up to date and the owner is very nice, in case somebody wanted to know. ;)

Old thread, and yes, it's a long time til summer but; Is anyone seeing Pet Shop Boys in Denmark 1/6?

Old thread, and yes, it's a long time til summer but; Is anyone seeing Pet Shop Boys in Denmark 1/6?

Not me, I'm going to Germany but you can ask on the english Pet Shop Boys forum.

Maybe they have some fans from Denmark there, I don't know. But I'll ask our forum boss ;). He knows everyone. If I have any news I let you know.

Back
Top Bottom