Billy Bragg cover of 'I never had no one ever'.

B

Billy Budd

Has anyone else heard the Billy Bragg cover of 'I know it's over'. It is bloody fantastic, I only heard it for the first time the other week, though it was recorded in 1997 I think. Info is a bit patchy at the moment it's my brothers tape. I would say that there are only a select band of people worthy of covering a Moz song, if ever someone like Liam Gallergher tried it, I'd be bloody looking for him. Did you hear what he did to 'Carnation' by The Jam ? He really did crush it's tender pettles, no mistake.

There are many fantastic Morrissey/Smiths Covers I must say.. Bragg was a great performer.. when he was an angry young man.. But his version of 'Never Had No-one ever'.. is also worth hearing..

And Billy.. I must say I quite liked Galagher/Craddocs version of 'Carnation' but I accept that the orginal was superior! Still, you can't quite kill off a great song entirely! A bit like Morrissey didn't particulalry do well with 'That's Entertainment'...

A bit
> like Morrissey didn't particulalry do well with 'That's
> Entertainment'...

but when he did moon river it nearly broke my heart.

And I loved his cover of That's Entertainment, I suppose it is all down to personal taste, Drive In Saturday and Trash are all great aswell in my opinion.

Guilt By Implication

I recently met Billy before the first gig of his I attended. I suppose I'm quite young, well 16, and Billy seemed quite pleased that my friend and I even knew who he was. Amoungst other things we talked about Morrissey/Johnny and The Smiths along with the current state of the music scene. He was very nice and spoke openly and honestly.

I asked if he was going to play Jeane and he said he would for us. He even asked what key we would like it played in! Anyway the point of this post is that I wanted to say how nice a person Billy is and what a great performer he is.

Sorry for boring you

P.S Grant Showbiz was his soundman on this particular tour.

The Stars cover of This Charming man

Speaking of covers, I really like this one.

> I recently met Billy before the first gig of his I attended. I
> suppose I'm quite young, well 16, and Billy seemed quite pleased
> that my friend and I even knew who he was. Amoungst other things
> we talked about Morrissey/Johnny and The Smiths along with the
> current state of the music scene. He was very nice and spoke
> openly and honestly.

> I asked if he was going to play Jeane and he said he would for
> us. He even asked what key we would like it played in! Anyway
> the point of this post is that I wanted to say how nice a person
> Billy is and what a great performer he is.

> Sorry for boring you

> P.S Grant Showbiz was his soundman on this particular tour.

I saw Billy play in New Zealand about two years ago and it was one of the best gigs I've been to. His in between song banter was just great. "Greeting to the New Burnette" remains one of my fav songs of all time.

Back
Top Bottom