The Beer In Ireland

zom

Menior Sember
My coworker told me that when he visited Ireland all the americans were drinking guinness, and the natives were drinking budweiser. This cant be true, what are your experiences?

Not that many Irish people drink Guinness regularly. I mean, I know one guy who drinks it every time he goes out, but the rest maybe have it once a week, month or just never. The majority of those who drink it here are probably old men in stingy pubs awash in a sea of flat caps.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff (neither would most under 25s, say). I think it's more like a dinner than a bloody drink.

Not that many Irish people drink Guinness regularly. I mean, I know one guy who drinks it every time he goes out, but the rest maybe have it once a week, month or just never. The majority of those who drink it here are probably old men in stingy pubs awash in a sea of flat caps.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff (neither would most under 25s, say). I think it's more like a dinner than a bloody drink.

So than what is the brew drank by those in the know? I am more than a bit over 25 too so I guess that it is excusable for me to not mind drinking it by the half gallon.

So than what is the brew drank by those in the know? I am more than a bit over 25 too so I guess that it is excusable for me to not mind drinking it by the half gallon.
I'd say most of the people I know'd drink bottles of beer (your Miller, your Corona etc) or mixers with something sweet (vodka and Coke being the average gayer's choice). I'm a vodka and Coke girl myself. Just one step away from "Bacard and Coke, Myfanwy". I'm not that gay, though. Yet.

I'd say most of the people I know'd drink bottles of beer (your Miller, your Corona etc) or mixers with something sweet (vodka and Coke being the average gayer's choice). I'm a vodka and Coke girl myself. Just one step away from "Bacard and Coke, Myfanwy". I'm not that gay, though. Yet.

I am shocked on two fronts:

1) People outside the US drink Miller

2) Vodka can be consumed in Coke

I am no tea totaler, I even make my own beer and cider, but vodka and coke as a concept has shaken my psyche...

Allow me to collect myself.

***Self fetching booze from the cellar***

dazzak, what Irish beers, besides Guinness, would you recommend?

Personally, I love G., but I'd be interested in tasting others. I'm always told that if you drink G. in America, you'll be blown away by the real thing in Dublin. Much better, etc etc.

Last edited:

I am no tea totaler, I even make my own beer and cider, but vodka and coke as a concept has shaken my psyche...

Allow me to collect myself.

***Self fetching booze from the cellar***
Vodka and Coke is the way to go, Zom. Doesn't give you a big hangover, gets you drunk just as well as the rest, tastes nice.

And, Zom, making your own alcohol? Is that not, you know, illegal?

dazzak, what other beers, besides Guinness, would you recommend?

Personally, I love G., but I'd be interested in tasting others. I'm always told that if you drink G. in America, you'll be blown away by the real thing in Dublin. Much better, etc etc.
I'm really not a big beer person (most of it taste like pee to me), but, with the huge influx of Polish people in the past few years, we've got lots of their beer in a lot of pubs. Very good some of it is, too.

If you like Guinness, you should probably visit the storehouse then. It's fairly cheap and you get a free pint.

And, Zom, making your own alcohol? Is that not, you know, illegal?

I can brew up to 200 gallons of cider/beer a year, thanks Jimmy Carter!

Making liquor is illegal i think...

with the huge influx of Polish people in the past few years, we've got lots of their beer in a lot of pubs. Very good some of it is, too.

If you like Guinness, you should probably visit the storehouse then. It's fairly cheap and you get a free pint.

Never thought of the Polish option. Interesting... Definitely headed for the brewery. Not quite like Mecca for me, but fairly close in a lush kind of way. Many thanks, d.

Never thought of the Polish option. Interesting... Definitely headed for the brewery. Not quite like Mecca for me, but fairly close in a lush kind of way. Many thanks, d.

Hey joshu, what are some of the beers you drink in your neck of the woods? There is a microbrew here called Bells which has many nice offerings, but i think they just discontinued distibution to chicagoland...i hate when it is called that. :D

Hi, zom... Goose Island Beer Co. is a strong presence in these Chicagoland parts (I don't much like the name, either) and you can't go too far wrong with much of what they have to offer. I'm originally from New England and, frankly, I prefer its microbreweries to these Midwestern ones. In the few years I've been here, I haven't found the same kind of variety, etc.

Hi, zom... Goose Island Beer Co. is a strong presence in these Chicagoland parts (I don't much like the name, either) and you can't go too far wrong with much of what they have to offer. I'm originally from New England and, frankly, I prefer its microbreweries to these Midwestern ones. In the few years I've been here, I haven't found the same kind of variety, etc.

Have you had any of the stuff from dogfish head brewery, i think they are in the new england range. Just had their 90 min IPA, it was awesome...

Yep, Dogfish is quality stuff, no doubt. Harpoon and Sam Adams and Tremont Ale are all fine. Smuttynose (Portsmouth, NH) is a great one, though. Really special. There's good work going on out on the Cape... Off to bed, now. Have a good one... :)

Where my family's from (Northern Ireland), everyone drinks Guinness.

Where my family's from (Northern Ireland), everyone drinks Guinness.

i like Guinness; i have about 8 cans in the fridge from xmas. that is what i drank in northern ireland.
but it's a drink i would have to relax with but not at a bar or when out.

i like Guinness; i have about 8 cans in the fridge from xmas. that is what i drank in northern ireland.
but it's a drink i would have to relax with but not at a bar or when out.

Yeah, it's not exactly the best 'in the clubs' drink... ;)

My friend and me were in Ireland just this past November. We had beers in:

1) Dublin (at the Guinness and Jameson breweries, respectively)

2) An Irish coffee at the main pub in Doolin

3) Several Guinnesses in Avoca

4) Several types of drinks at Castle Banratty, Limerick and Galway

All I'd have to say were great places but, Avoca was the best, eating at Fitzgeralds. (home of the former show, Ballykissangel) :)

Yes, I'm a yank and I had my share of Guinnesses. :) I liked this one drink that I can't remember for the LIFE of me it's name, I had it at that Castle. It was good though. :)

PS....My friend and me also travelled to Iceland in August/Septemeber 2006. You should try the drinks there! :) The locals really like their drinks. I had a drink in Vik, Selfoss and at the main Geysir.

Last edited by a moderator:

apparently vodka + coke is very popular in the UK. i was quite surprised to recently discover that myself (mostly through this board). it is a bit odd that it is so common there and just not done in the US. (don't know about europe or anywhere else though!)

of course the vodka/red bull combo has now taken over in the US.

Back
Top Bottom