what i ABSOLUTELY hate at the moment

duchess_of_fork

Movies with subtitles...

yes it's MY fault I like Italian neorealist movies...and it's MY fault I have to download them as oppose to BUY them because I am broke and it seems that eveything I like seems to be too expensive (including Morrissey). It is ALSO my fault for not knowing how to add the goddamn subtitles on movies when I want to burn them, as it is my fault for being ignorant and NOT knowing how to speak Italian. I am really REALLY pissed off and I'm venting. I have at least 7 moves on my computer which I want to burn and watch, it took me MONTHS to find and download them, and MONTHS to find SOME info on HOW to add STUPID subtitles on...and now it's not working.

So if any of you know how to do it, PLEASE help. I'm about to freak out (unless I already have) over technology being ridiculously complicated...

I burned an AVI file with subtitles on the disk but...oh NO...that can NEVER work because pirates have to suffer and realize that the only way we can become a part of the civilized nation is that every-f***ing-body pays 40 dollars for DVDs...money that doesn't even go to any of the actors or creators because they're DEAD, but money-grabbing, corporations who have a piece of paper saying that they OWN the movie! and here I am, a poor, poor student who WANTS to watch intriguing cinema of the 20th century, but OH NO!!!! It's like the contemporary society is trying to suck me into the vicious cycle of HAVING to go see that new Hillary Swank movie, yet ANOTHER movie about a white, perfect, tight assed teacher who goes to a disfunctional inner city school and shows those little, black "ignorant" children how things are done in pretty, white, all republican America! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE SEEN MOVIES LIKE THAT!?!??!! I CAN NAME LIKE FOUR RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! AAAAGH!!!!!!! It's like Britney Spears is gnawing on my leg and Lindsay Lohen dragging me down into the hole known as "todays movies"...it's just easier...i mean..pay 5 bucks....get your brain washed for two hours...go home and want superficial things. Who bothers with intelligent movies!?!?!?

...so the subtitles are going twice as fast as the movie. So suddenly, the Nazis in Rome Open City are talking about bambinos and how much they love their grandmothers plum jam. f***!

you guys get the point
just
help!
i'm freaking out
and i guess judging by this post it might seem as though i'm throwing furniture around me, foaming and yellling...but quite contrary, i'm very placid on the surface..just like any other person i'm letting it build up inside...

Movies with subtitles...

yes it's MY fault I like Italian neorealist movies...and it's MY fault I have to download them as oppose to BUY them because I am broke and it seems that eveything I like seems to be too expensive (including Morrissey). It is ALSO my fault for not knowing how to add the goddamn subtitles on movies when I want to burn them, as it is my fault for being ignorant and NOT knowing how to speak Italian. I am really REALLY pissed off and I'm venting. I have at least 7 moves on my computer which I want to burn and watch, it took me MONTHS to find and download them, and MONTHS to find SOME info on HOW to add STUPID subtitles on...and now it's not working.

So if any of you know how to do it, PLEASE help. I'm about to freak out (unless I already have) over technology being ridiculously complicated...

I'd hate to see you when you are freaking out.

You could just pay $9.99 and get whatever movies you wanna see from Netflix.

yet ANOTHER movie about a white, perfect, tight assed teacher who goes to a disfunctional inner city school and shows those little, black "ignorant" children how things are done in pretty, white, all republican America! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE SEEN MOVIES LIKE THAT!?!??!! I CAN NAME LIKE FOUR RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! AAAAGH!!!!!!!

Wow, you're racist. I haven't seen the movie but somehow I doubt a Hillary Swank movie from Hollywood is promoting republican values. And while I won't be seeing this movie (I'm partial to Morgan Freeman knocking sense into the mis-raised brats in Lean On Me), if it shines another light on how completely f***ed up Democrat-run inner-city schools are, it won't be all bad. Inner city families shouldn't have to send their kids to crappy government schools. SCHOOL CHOICE!

Wow, you're racist. I haven't seen the movie but somehow I doubt a Hillary Swank movie from Hollywood is promoting republican values. And while I won't be seeing this movie (I'm partial to Morgan Freeman knocking sense into the mis-raised brats in Lean On Me), if it shines another light on how completely f***ed up Democrat-run inner-city schools are, it won't be all bad. Inner city families shouldn't have to send their kids to crappy government schools. SCHOOL CHOICE!

i'm not a racist, it was sarcasam, hence the "". if anything i was talking from the point of the intent of the movie. i don't think that an oscar oriented movie is going to change anything about inner city schools, the problem is way deeper than that. it's chaos theory and it's roots aren't easily erased by a third rate actress like Hilary Swank in a plot that's been done more times than lil st.cyr.
i actually laughed out loud when i saw the commercial for that movie, asking myself if people are STILL interested in movies that take poor, futureless children, and cash in on their misfortunes instead of doing something substantial to help them. but obviously, it's much easier to invest 2 million dollars in making a movie that widely promotes "change" "peace" "possibilities" "values" "brotherhood", than actually DOING something about it, because it would take way more than money to make a substantial change...something no person in power in the United States is willing to do. A nation of bullshiters...
i'm not a racist, i dislike all people, regardless of the colour of their skin.

i'm not a racist, it was sarcasam, hence the "". if anything i was talking from the point of the intent of the movie. i don't think that an oscar oriented movie is going to change anything about inner city schools, the problem is way deeper than that. it's chaos theory and it's roots aren't easily erased by a third rate actress like Hilary Swank in a plot that's been done more times than lil st.cyr.

How is this not racist: "that new Hillary Swank movie, yet ANOTHER movie about a white, perfect, tight assed teacher" ??

I haven't seen the movie (and consider it unintelligent to review movies I haven't seen, the way you do), but my understanding is it's based on a true story. So, while the plot is probably full of cliches from the genre and is probably partially fictionalized, it seems that there was a teacher similar to Swank's character who, in fact, helped some kids. Don't see why she has to be called tight-assed for it just because she's white. I doubt anyone will wanna make an inspirational movie about you and your dislike of all people.

How is this not racist: "that new Hillary Swank movie, yet ANOTHER movie about a white, perfect, tight assed teacher" ??

Errm, sorry for interrupting your sermon but am I the only one here who understands what duchess REALLY wanted to say? What was something like: "I hate those bloody racist pseudo-deep movies, declaring that everything that's wrong in the world today can be fixed if we find a nice, down-to-earth, white republican who's taking care of the (merely black) problem".
Gosh, do we have to use the colour green to indicate that one is being ironic or is it possible to read through a post twice beforse calling someone a racist?

Last edited:
Errm, sorry for interrupting your sermon but am I the only one here who understands what duchess REALLY wanted to say? What was something like: "I hate those bloody racist pseudo-deep movies, declaring that everything that's wrong in the world today can be fixed if we find a nice, down-to-earth, white republican who's taking care of the (merely black) problem".
Gosh, do we have to use the colour green to indicate that one is being ironic or is it possible to read through a post twice beforse calling someone a racist?

i understand what she saying... she is bored of bland american movies.

is it racist for a white person to say another white person is 'tight arsed'?

Movies with subtitles...

You should watch Bad boys 2 and stop f***ing moaning.

I also understood the point of the original post, but I don't think you need to add "republican" to the mix. It depends on the individual and their level of commitment. Some liberal teachers that I've dealt with are as racist as anyone, if you define racism simply as assigning certain assumptions about individuals based on their race. I've also known some conservative republicans that give their time volunteering to teach children of all races to read, to enjoy reading, and to have some understanding of inspirational individuals that they might want to emulate. It comes down to actually doing something as opposed to talking about it. People of character will work to make a positive change and while they might vote differently, or have different philosophies, they contribute to society.

I understand that is not what this thread is about but I have to point out that most of us deal with stereotypical ideas that we don't even realize. The idea of "bland American movies" is an example. I think I know what that refers to. I see them as corporate movies though, not "American". They are the films that are designed to fit a certain predetermined audience or market, and the endings are determined by the results of test audiences, rather than the "vision" of the director. It's why most big budget films are awful, unless you are using them as a way to occupy your families time for a couple of hours, and then immediately forget them. I guess it happens that these films are mostly made in America, but I don't think that the "Bollywood" films are all great works of art either. I'm not an expert on film but what I've seen suggests that Japan makes hugely commercial mindless "entertainment" for the masses, too.

I understand about the "piece of paper" that shows ownership of these films too, but consider that if there was not a profit to be made from these films they probably wouldn't be available.

Republicans are neither for the republic
or 'can' do anything good

Democrats are neither for democracy
or can 'really see' what to do

discuss?

thanks to those who understand what i meant. you're sane, and that's good.

dave, i agree with you. it was a stereotype i typed (hah pun) in pure rage! although i have yet to meet a republican/conservative worth talking to....but that's just me.

You should try and meet Andre 3000.

pimpbot1.jpg

This post is very true from start to finish:

I also understood the point of the original post, but I don't think you need to add "republican" to the mix. It depends on the individual and their level of commitment. Some liberal teachers that I've dealt with are as racist as anyone, if you define racism simply as assigning certain assumptions about individuals based on their race. I've also known some conservative republicans that give their time volunteering to teach children of all races to read, to enjoy reading, and to have some understanding of inspirational individuals that they might want to emulate. It comes down to actually doing something as opposed to talking about it. People of character will work to make a positive change and while they might vote differently, or have different philosophies, they contribute to society.

I understand that is not what this thread is about but I have to point out that most of us deal with stereotypical ideas that we don't even realize. The idea of "bland American movies" is an example. I think I know what that refers to. I see them as corporate movies though, not "American". They are the films that are designed to fit a certain predetermined audience or market, and the endings are determined by the results of test audiences, rather than the "vision" of the director. It's why most big budget films are awful, unless you are using them as a way to occupy your families time for a couple of hours, and then immediately forget them. I guess it happens that these films are mostly made in America, but I don't think that the "Bollywood" films are all great works of art either. I'm not an expert on film but what I've seen suggests that Japan makes hugely commercial mindless "entertainment" for the masses, too.
And don't even mention the French big-budget bland historical spectacles or stupid comedies! :eek:

My habit of biting my nails :mad:

Back
Top Bottom