Have you ever been in close proximity to Moz? (not gigs)

Lost

Obviously concerts don't count.

I was once in a pub in Ashton-Under-Lyne where i lived (which is very close to Manchester for those of you not familiar with the area.)
It must have been the very very early eighties and who should walk in one day but a very tall young man with a large quiff.
I'd just got into The Smiths and I recognised him straight away although they were not particularly that big at that time.
I remember nudging my mate and saying hey look that's that singer for The Smiths. I remember him screwing his face up and saying "who?", which i suppose was understandable at the time as Moz wasn't exactly the icon he is today.
My memory is quite vague but I remember him even then looking a rather shy figure in the background standing with his friends and not saying much.
I have no idea why he would have been in a pub in Ashton-Under-Lyne except perhaps to say it was a town with a 'nightlife' which was quite renowned and very much brought people in from other areas in those days.
But i'll never forget it.

My other claim is a bit more tenuous. Moz and I went to the same college (i've found out since) at the same time. He studied A level English Literature at Stretford College Manchester. I studied a quite different subject then but ironically i now lecture in English Literature as my profession.
I've got to be perfectly honest and admit i have no recollection of him at the college now, although it intrigues me as i must surely have encountered him in the corridors or in the canteen that year.

yes, but I was drunk

Nowt wrong with that mate....
....but that's just reminded me that Shaun Ryder and Bez and co were also to be seen in the said Ashton-Under-Lyne around that time..(er well actually a bit later when i think of it.)
But that's another story...another thread...another site!!

yes outside the back of the hammersmith odean in 1991, shock his hand and had a picture signed.
and at a recond signing for vauxall and I.

Yes, saw him in Dublin mid nineties. He was living here at that time.
He was often spotted by pals of mine around the city. My encounter was in a pub called Kehoes, just off Grafton Street ( Dublin's main shopping street ).

He was sitting in the corner with 2 other guys, early evening, drinking what looked like a gin or vodka and tonic. They were quietly chatting and didn't seem to be there for the evening, just to have a chinwag and a quick drink.

Of course I approached him! Got very tongue tied, thanked him for the music and didn't bother him for an autograph, as I always think that is really naff.
He was polite, smiled a lot and thanked me for my kind words. Then I left, shaking with excitement, and very happy that I wasn't in any way pissed!

No photo or written evidence to prove it, just happy memories.

Ashton-under-lyne has gone down hill a bit of late (by of late I mean the last 12 years).

You're not wrong my friend. I still live quite close and often go and do my shopping there but it's a real dead hole these days in more ways than one.
In the eighties and early nineties it was a very lively place but it then suffered something of a decline and has never really recovered.

do tell more!

Honestly it was a bit surreal. Some friends of mine got together and decided to eat at the cat and the fiddle. Lo, and behold, to our suprise Morrissey, Jesse, Mikey, and a personal assistant were there. They were kind of barricaded off a bit. (I have an interesting pic, that my friend took). We all just sort of sat there shocked. Obviously we didnt want to bug him while he was eating. So we waited. My friend, not lacking any courage went up and talked to him as he was about to leave..while me and my other friend just sort of sat there and watched. Like I said..very surreal. Later on that night my friends and I went to the first Red Lightning show (our purpose for being in LA) and around midnight Moz showed up. By then RL were on their second encore and Moz went backstage, followed by the band. There were a few pictures taken..mostly of his backside..LOL. It was a very interesting day, esp. since it was the first time I'd been to a show in 7 years. (social anxiety)

looking back I wonder if I should have said something to Moz..but for the life of me, I cant imagine what it would be! I do know he respects the website and zine I do for Alain..even signed my guestbook..and that i enough for me!:o

I do know he respects the website and zine I do for Alain..even signed my guestbook..and that i enough for me!:o

I don't mean to piss on your chips or anything, but the likelihood of 'that' being THE actual Morrissey are slimmer than an anorexic in a barfing contest.

Meet Morrissey on Harpurhey market, Manchester got an autograph on a greggs wrapper, made my ife complete.....

At the Gothenburg gig this year he went by in a car but it had to stop becuase of red light just in front of the queue. It didn't take long till it was surrounded by fans but I didn't cause I was to afraid of my place in the front.

And what s' happened next?:eek:

Back
Top Bottom