The Morrissey phenomenon

C

Copeland

I still, after all these years, can't comprehend the unlikely scenario that introduced Morrissey into the pop world. If you look at the conditions that the Smiths were up against - low budgets, the popularity of electronic music, the shallowness and ruthlessness of the music industry, Morrissey's estrangement from expected pop star behavior, AND an unsympathetic music press - how was it possible that the Smiths survived? Or even more fascinating to ponder: how come Morrissey is such a genius? He came right out from the start with all these interesting songs and presented them in such a way that had never been done before. WHERE DID HE TAKE HIS CUE FROM? It seems too perfect to have been possible. But it happened, and it's still going on. I really consider Morrissey to be a major literary figure in this world. Forgive me if I'm fawning, but it so happens that Picadilly Palare is playing right now, and I'm starting to go overboard.

Timing as simple as that. You have to look at the whole of the 1980's. Music was crap across the board. At least nowdays we all have a choice of what we listen to and it's much easier to access. Morrissey and Marr both needed each other and couldn't have made without, a fact often overlooked. There was no real image, The Smiths weren't manufacted and never had big bouffy hair, just a simple appearance. They spoke and still do for those who want a bit of intelligence in their pop culture in general. Nowadays there are some good bands around and so many of them cite the Smiths as a major infulence upon their bands.

> Timing as simple as that. You have to look at the whole of the
> 1980's. Music was crap across the board. At least nowdays we all
> have a choice of what we listen to and it's much easier to
> access. Morrissey and Marr both needed each other and couldn't
> have made without, a fact often overlooked. There was no real
> image, The Smiths weren't manufacted and never had big bouffy
> hair, just a simple appearance. They spoke and still do for
> those who want a bit of intelligence in their pop culture in
> general. Nowadays there are some good bands around and so many
> of them cite the Smiths as a major infulence upon their bands.

but is that what this person is asking?

the interesting thing is that to me, Moz looks like a living caricature in those vids. The hair jutting. The obvious and out of style glasses. The large bouquet of flowers.

True, I have seen him in pics like that, but dancing and singing while wearing it is another thing. It is interesting and I start to understand why people who were there from the beginning start complaining about the band's absence. I mean, if this is the image of him you had, and then he goes into his boxing fetishism less than 10 years later, it is an odd evolution that many fans were probably not up to making.

It's not so far fetched. How many bands or musicians have you known to have evolved in that way? Madonna doesn't count because she always based everything on the sex angle. Elton John as well has been writing the nice little piano love songs for over 25 years.

I know that sounds like a while, but I'm trying to imagine what I would think of Belle and Sebastian if they broke up and Stuart started dressing in leather and writing lyrics like "running with the devil"

Maybe that's why Moz's career is so different in the US than in Britain. There, they embraced him as a flower, and in the US, they embraced him as rockabilly glam nut. And now, it looks like the more obvious and unusual bits he would overdo have been tamed.

They knew the talent they had in hands and Morrissey was not thinking about the future. He wanted everything in his hands "right now". When you don't have big expectations, you can bluff as much as you want, because if that works, great!... If that does NOT work, fine! I am a loser, so if you want to give me some attention, I thank you so much, but if you don't... Well, let me take my flowers and go away. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE, I mean.

Sorry, but it's not easy to answer "how can a person is so genius". I remember one of my teachers, who said: The genius has all the past and all the future in his mind, all the feelings, all the fource to destroy and create. Everything near him can touch him. Everything far away can come to him. There is NO limits for him, since his spirit belongs to the eternity.

Madonna doesn't count because
> she always based everything on the sex angle.

But The Smiths and Morrissey have "sex" as they main subject and inspiration.

> They knew the talent they had in hands and Morrissey was not
> thinking about the future. He wanted everything in his hands
> "right now". When you don't have big expectations, you
> can bluff as much as you want, because if that works, great!...
> If that does NOT work, fine! I am a loser, so if you want to
> give me some attention, I thank you so much, but if you don't...
> Well, let me take my flowers and go away. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO
> LOSE, I mean.

Oh no.
Shouldn't this perhaps be called the Somnium Phenomenon...?

Ah well, let's not take ourselves too seriously.
Have a nice day.

> Oh no.
> Shouldn't this perhaps be called the Somnium Phenomenon...?

You can call it whatever you want, dear, since you are happy with your heart. This is between YOU and your conscience. I think we had a conversation about it before. But if you want to say something, go to the point. I promise that I will hate you more.

> Ah well, let's not take ourselves too seriously.
> Have a nice day.

That's it. My day "was"lovely, thanks.

> Madonna doesn't count because

> But The Smiths and Morrissey have "sex" as they main
> subject and inspiration.

no it isn't. or wasn't

What I meant(duh) was that Madonna's works were about sex blatantly to where it was an issue of what she would do with her body and what she wanted done to her, while Moz's works were about the repression of speaking directly about it to the point of fetishism of the non-sexual.

Hey, you were the first to say that we shouldn't take this too seriously. What are you trying to say now?

> no it isn't. or wasn't

> What I meant(duh) was that Madonna's works were about sex
> blatantly to where it was an issue of what she would do with her
> body and what she wanted done to her, while Moz's works were
> about the repression of speaking directly about it to the point
> of fetishism of the non-sexual.

True... He was direct to the point making his own past traumas a positive thing (if that's possible). I think I got you wrong, actually.

Re: Oh Melanie, honestly...

> Hey, you were the first to say that we shouldn't take this too
> seriously. What are you trying to say now?

I AM saying that "The Smiths" was just reacting against what they didn't like,... synthesizer, clothes, hair style, and all the 80's stuff. Fighting against the system is easy? I guess NOT. That's why I said that Morrissey didn't care of what people would think, since he was doing something HE was enjoing. It was a kind of fresh air for those who were bored then. You have nothing to lose, so try it. That's what I meant.

And don't worry about me. Just follow your heart, and do or say whatever you want, because I think that... I DON'T CARE at all.

> True... He was direct to the point making his own past traumas a
> positive thing (if that's possible).

Morrissey is just more subtle.

> I AM saying that "The Smiths" was just reacting
> against what they didn't like,... synthesizer, clothes, hair
> style, and all the 80's stuff. Fighting against the system is
> easy? I guess NOT. That's why I said that Morrissey didn't care
> of what people would think, since he was doing something HE was
> enjoing. It was a kind of fresh air for those who were bored
> then. You have nothing to lose, so try it. That's what I meant.

Yeah, but Morrissey had extreme hair. A couple of inches shorter than the guys in Flock of Seagulls!

Face it, Morrissey is going to react against everything because he HATES everything. If the norm were to be plain, he would have had the most outlandish outfit. Everyone dresses in a slouchy t-shirt and jeans like your post-grunge indie kids and he's running around in gucci. Although he is very attractive in his hippie beads. He is a starved little catholic schoolboy rebelling against authority!

> And don't worry about me. Just follow your heart, and do or say
> whatever you want, because I think that... I DON'T CARE at all.

> Yeah, but Morrissey had extreme hair. A couple of inches shorter
> than the guys in Flock of Seagulls!

> Face it, Morrissey is going to react against everything because
> he HATES everything.

It happens that I HATE everything too.

If the norm were to be plain, he would have
> had the most outlandish outfit. Everyone dresses in a slouchy
> t-shirt and jeans like your post-grunge indie kids and he's
> running around in gucci. Although he is very attractive in his
> hippie beads. He is a starved little catholic schoolboy
> rebelling against authority!

This is NOT a secret, at least for me, since I have the same trouble, and same "catholic" trouble.

> Morrissey is just more subtle.
opening a door to the pain makes alot of people a lot of money you know? if the pain from the past creates more creativity than it is helpful , i think is that what we are talking about ?

Back
Top Bottom