Post YOUR Collection Thread

As for the 'green' GIAC, I don't believe they were ever pressed or even mispressed in green, the example in your photo is a standard grey sleeve which has been exposed to sunlight for a prolonged period of time (the grey area where a sticker was once affixed is the giveaway). Sorry!

Hello IR,

You might be right about my green GIAC but as you can see in the anonymous reply it is an ongoing discussion. Anyway, would you pass this Megadisc 'mispressed' green sleeve if you saw for 3,00 euro's on a record fair? :)

There is more about discoloration in this thread: http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...lectors-appendix-after-the-launch-by-Stephane

Take care, Marcel

Hello IR,

You might be right about my green GIAC but as you can see in the anonymous reply it is an ongoing discussion. Anyway, would you pass this Megadisc 'mispressed' green sleeve if you saw for 3,00 euro's on a record fair? :)

There is more about discoloration in this thread: http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...lectors-appendix-after-the-launch-by-Stephane

Take care, Marcel

Hello Marcel,

No, I would probably still buy it for 3 Euros. :)
The debate has gone on for long enough, however we have also experimented by taking a std grey sleeve and leaving it exposed to sunlight for a week or two and the result was a green Sheilagh, the black parts including The Smiths do not change.

Cheers,

I.R.

Hello Marcel,

The debate has gone on for long enough, however we have also experimented by taking a std grey sleeve and leaving it exposed to sunlight for a week or two and the result was a green Sheilagh, the black parts including The Smiths do not change.

Cheers,

I.R.

Hello I.R.,

Don't worry! I agree with you all those green edge mispressings that are popping up on eBay are a result of discoloration. My green Megadisc GIAC is almost certainly a perfect example of discoloration too.

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• PB180062.JPG
    PB180062.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 20
  • PB180064.JPG
    PB180064.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 22
...Off to place all my extra Smiths singles on a window sill. :)

Hello I.R.,

Don't worry! I agree with you all those green edge mispressings that are popping up on eBay are a result of discoloration. My green Megadisc GIAC is almost certainly a perfect example of discoloration too.

Take care, Marcel

I wasn't worrying Marcel, just felt it was time to put an end to the green GIAC 7" myth. :)
The only one that is really mispressed is the UK 7" which is green but also incorrectly shows 3 tracks on the back (as per the 12").

I wasn't worrying Marcel, just felt it was time to put an end to the green GIAC 7" myth. :)
The only one that is really mispressed is the UK 7" which is green but also incorrectly shows 3 tracks on the back (as per the 12").

Why do you say that? Reading the thread Inox* referenced (but not yet resuming anything added in the now un-archived thread they mentioned with davidt), it doesn't appear there is still contention with the 7" 2-track green. The general gist I got out of the discussion was there being no mutually exclusive mishap with the green 7". Some were overexposed to light, but there was indeed a mispress that occurred at some point. Whether or not a collector can distinguish between the two however would seem crucial.

*edited to correct who referenced thread

Why do you say that? Reading the thread Inox* referenced (but not yet resuming anything added in the now un-archived thread they mentioned with davidt), it doesn't appear there is still contention with the 7" 2-track green. The general gist I got out of the discussion was there being no mutually exclusive mishap with the green 7". Some were overexposed to light, but there was indeed a mispress that occurred at some point. Whether or not a collector can distinguish between the two however would seem crucial.

*edited to correct who referenced thread

Why do I say that?
Because that is what I believe, what else would you expect me to say?

Well, unless there's a new revelation I'm blatantly missing on this topic, I'd expect you to say you believe this and that rather than call it a "myth."

I am referring to it as a myth because that's what I believe it is.
If you believe different it's ok, I don't have a problem with a difference of opinion.
Good luck in finding a mispressed green 7" with just the 2 tracks listed on the back. :)

I am referring to it as a myth because that's what I believe it is.
If you believe different it's ok, I don't have a problem with a difference of opinion.
Good luck in finding a mispressed green 7" with just the 2 tracks listed on the back. :)

For the record I have no problem with your belief and understand why you feel that way, but some of the deductive aspects of it don't make sense to me. You mentioned the only true mispressing is 3 track 7" green. Whether or not you think the 3 track sleeve being green is a mispress or a fade, I'm unsure, but if you don't, then it's strange no black ones have shown up. If you do believe it is mispressed, then why is the green 3-track "mispressed" color, in my experience, the exact same shade of green as the 2-track "mispress" / "fade." And it's not peculiar that the inverse effect happened on the 12"? Maybe reverse photodegradation, whereby it was kept in the dark too long and the chromophores in the dyes biologically healed themselves? :squiffy:

Last edited:
For the record I have no problem with your belief and understand why you feel that way, but some of the deductive aspects of it don't make sense to me. You mentioned the only true mispressing is 3 track 7" green. Whether or not you think the 3 track sleeve being green is a mispress or a fade, I'm unsure, but if you don't, then it's strange no black ones have shown up. If you do believe it is mispressed, then why is the green 3-track "mispressed" color, in my experience, the exact same shade of green as the 2-track "mispress" / "fade." And it's not peculiar that the inverse effect happened on the 12"? Maybe reverse photodegradation, whereby it was kept in the dark too long and the chromophores in the dyes biologically healed themselves? :squiffy:

When I said the only true mispressing was the green 3 track 7" I was talking in terms of 7"s, the grey 12" is also a mispressing of course.
In summary, this is what I believe:

Grey 12" = factory mispressing, sleeve incorrectly printed in the colour intended for the 7"
Green 7" (3 tracks listed on the back) = factory mispressing, sleeve incorrectly printed in the colour and layout intended for the 12" (including the listing of 3 tracks on the back when the 7" only plays 2)
Green 7" (2 tracks listed on the back) = discolouration taking place at a later stage, total or partial (depending on how much of the front cover was exposed to sunlight)

When I said the only true mispressing was the green 3 track 7" I was talking in terms of 7"s, the grey 12" is also a mispressing of course.

Grey 12" = factory mispressing, sleeve incorrectly printed in the colour intended for the 7"
Green 7" (3 tracks listed on the back) = factory mispressing, sleeve incorrectly printed in the colour and layout intended for the 12" (including the listing of 3 tracks on the back when the 7" only plays 2)
Green 7" (2 tracks listed on the back) = discolouration taking place at a later stage, total or partial (depending on how much of the front cover was exposed to sunlight)

I don't get it. What about the 2005 Top 100 RC entry for the green 7", which was listed at no. 19?

I bought a Green 7" with 3 tracks listed on the back; on the day of release. It is, as IR says, an 7" version of the 12" colour and layout.

Not sure about it being a mispressing as the chap in the record store had been sent it to display on the wall along with the poster for the single. He was about to staple it to the wall until I asked if he would sell me the 7" with that sleeve, which he agreed to...

Having said that, if it had been produced as a promo cover for display purposes, there should be many more of these for sale....the plot thickens

I bought a Green 7" with 3 tracks listed on the back; on the day of release. It is, as IR says, an 7" version of the 12" colour and layout.

Not sure about it being a mispressing as the chap in the record store had been sent it to display on the wall along with the poster for the single. He was about to staple it to the wall until I asked if he would sell me the 7" with that sleeve, which he agreed to...

Having said that, if it had been produced as a promo cover for display purposes, there should be many more of these for sale....the plot thickens

Ah, that's interesting.............

When I bought my 'Girlfriend...' 7" with the green sleeve and 12" tracklisting (purchased for a few quid as a curio, early in the 1990's), the seller told me that it was meant to be for an in-store display. It was only the publication of the 2004 Record Collector list which made me realise that I had a (relatively) major rarity.

Thinking about it, there is no reason why both stories can't be true. Rough Trade in the eighties were resourceful enough to use test pressings as early promos rather than disposing of them as major record labels tended to do. It is quite likely that they would re-use a misprinted sleeve as part of a display item.

Ah, that's interesting.............

When I bought my 'Girlfriend...' 7" with the green sleeve and 12" tracklisting (purchased for a few quid as a curio, early in the 1990's), the seller told me that it was meant to be for an in-store display. It was only the publication of the 2004 Record Collector list which made me realise that I had a (relatively) major rarity.

Thinking about it, there is no reason why both stories can't be true. Rough Trade in the eighties were resourceful enough to use test pressings as early promos rather than disposing of them as major record labels tended to do. It is quite likely that they would re-use a misprinted sleeve as part of a display item.

More support for the in-store display story....

A few months ago an UK eBay seller (I don't remember who it was) sold a couple of empty 7" green sleeves with 12" track-listing.

Take care, Marcel

I could easily believe that the green 7" sleeves with 3 tracks listed were printed intentionally for in-store display purposes, either that or they were printed in error and someone decided it would be a good idea to use them in some way rather than bin them.

The point I make is that these ones were printed in a factory, whereas the green 7"s (with 2 tracks) are simply a result of discolouration.

Last edited:
The point I make is that these ones were printed in a factory, whereas the green 7"s (with 2 tracks) are simply a result of discolouration.

Hello I.R.,

I guess you are more than right about this. I shouldn't have posted my picture of the green Megadisc GIAC....:blushing:

Anyway, there will probably always be a discussion about the green 7" as Stephane is mentioning in the GIAC collectors appendix on PJLM:

Some copies of both formats are sometimes seen in a picture sleeve with front artwork that is mostly grey, but with a bit of green at the edges. There is no consensus amongst collectors as to why those sleeves ended up being that way. Some believe that they are the result of a misprint having occurred at the pressing plant while others think that it may only be discoloration. The latter theory is backed by the fact that the green usually appears at the edges which would often stick out slightly from a stack of 7"s or 12"s on a shelf; so the edges exposed to light would have discolored over the years. On the other hand a discoloration from green to grey would make sense, but one from grey to green not so much. Any factual information or theory on the matter is welcome.

Take care, Marcel

Tags
whip 'em out
Back
Top Bottom