Stories behind "Blue Monday" by New Order???

petshopmode

How'd these rumors come to be about the meaning behind the song? Can anyone shed some light on this?

The first is about is possibly being about Ian Curtis and the other about Barney's reaction to his girlfriend (or wife) when she told him she was pregnant.

First I ever heard of these ones. :confused:

And what about "get the message" by bernard and johnny marrs's "electronic?

Last edited:
Like most New Order songs, whatever meaning is behind "Blue Monday" is probably opaque and irrecoverable even to Bernard Sumner. 1983 inaugurated Sumner's unique, er, nonsense writing style. I wouldn't go so far as to say he threw a bunch of phrases in a hat and came up with the lyrics to "Blue Monday", but on the other hand I simply cannot listen to that song and hear a coherent lyric. The stuff about the song being about the Falklands makes me laugh. The lyrics may be "about" something, and no doubt Barney has given explanations, but I'll tell you what "Blue Monday" is about: being amped on drink or drugs, scribbling some random lyrics for a song that you and your bandmates cranked out by pressing some buttons on a brand new machine, and having the audacity to put it out on vinyl.

Don't think this post is an indictment of New Order. To the contrary, their chaotically conceived songs are why I love them as much as I do.

Back
Top Bottom