What do you think of the unreleased songs and demos?

Kuiper

Better than Marr
So, what do you think of some of the unreleased songs and demos of Morrissey? Here's what I think:

Oh Phoney - Not that bad, but it wasn't necessarily a poor decision to scrap it. Musically it is uninteresting and the lyrics are embarrasing, but it actually falls in place perfectly because I am able to stand it. Taken alone all the components are awful, but somehow together it manages to be okay.

Striptease with a Difference - Sorry, I just can't show any love for the lyrics. Quality-wise they aren't awful, but what they are about is just unacceptable, it's so un-Moz. But the music is actually quite good in my opinion.

Born to Hang - Someone, maybe Morrissey or the songwriter, said that it would've made a good b-side but was never really finished. I think it is very promising musically and lyrically, could've developed into something great, but even as is it is good.

Kit - Was it Boz who wrote this? Well I got the performance of Boz or Alain or whoever wrote it playing it and I think it sounds pretty good. I can't really understand the lyrics, but the music is compelling in a way, like I can sense how it could've developed into something even better, like I can almost sense something bigger that was imagined but never quite worked out. Yeah, that's a weird statement but I stand by it. EDIT: I just listened to it, and I can't believe what he (Boz or Alain or whoever) says at the end! Mentioning strings and horns and wondering why it was never finished. So I was right, in a way.

Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness - I've never heard the Sandie Shaw version but I think the Moz demo is okay. The lyrics are passable and the music is acceptable on its own, but they don't really work juxtaposed together.

Honey, You Know Where to Find Me - Very promising, very good, very Southpaw Grammar (that was the session this was from, right?). I wonder what the lyrics were and what they were about though, it just really intrigues me, I can imagine so much from the title. Is it an untraditional love song? A negative song about hating the "honey" and that she (or possibly he of course, or gender-neutral) always is bothering him and knows where to find him? About displeased with the state of your own life because people know where to find you all the time?

Children in Pieces - Thankfully this song gets the praise it deserves, the music is truly outstanding. It grows on me more every time I listen to it, it's beautiful. Release this instead of Christian Dior. Or scratch the live songs To Me You Are a Work of Art and I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now and instead give us Children in Pieces, Christian Dior, and Sweetie-Pie on the single of In the Future When All's Well. For Boy Happy, while those live songs are great choices and sound great live from the bootlegs I've heard (but why oh why from 2002?), give us three more lost gems from the Ringleader sessions that I'm sure exist.

Also, I've heard of an instrumental demo called Laughing Anne and two untitled ones from circa Southpaw Grammar, as well as a song called Stay As You Are (whether it has lyrics or not I don't know). Has anyone heard those and can tell me what they think, or know if they even do in fact exist? Also, and I know it's a longshot, but if anyone has them lots of people would be delighted to see them posted, but of course I know it almost definitely won't happen, I'm just saying is all.

There is also "I know who I love" from Maladjusted that no one has heard.

Article:

AN upbeat Maladjusted outtake boasting a jangular guitar melody similar to that album's "Alma Matters". Moz sings of highs , lows and even "these pills I'm prescribed". Optimistic and catchy, it still begs foir an official release.

sample lyric:

"These words I've written down/ Convey the way that you play/You see it, you want it, you take it/And then it's yours"

How the journalist knows all this I have no idea but I'd love to hear it!

Kit - Was it Boz who wrote this? Well I got the performance of Boz or Alain or whoever wrote it playing it and I think it sounds pretty good. I can't really understand the lyrics, but the music is compelling in a way, like I can sense how it could've developed into something even better, like I can almost sense something bigger that was imagined but never quite worked out. Yeah, that's a weird statement but I stand by it. EDIT: I just listened to it, and I can't believe what he (Boz or Alain or whoever) says at the end! Mentioning strings and horns and wondering why it was never finished. So I was right, in a way.

(...)
Honey, You Know Where to Find Me - Very promising, very good, very Southpaw Grammar (that was the session this was from, right?). I wonder what the lyrics were and what they were about though, it just really intrigues me, I can imagine so much from the title. Is it an untraditional love song? A negative song about hating the "honey" and that she (or possibly he of course, or gender-neutral) always is bothering him and knows where to find him? About displeased with the state of your own life because people know where to find you all the time?

(...)

Also, I've heard of an instrumental demo called Laughing Anne and two untitled ones from circa Southpaw Grammar, as well as a song called Stay As You Are (whether it has lyrics or not I don't know). Has anyone heard those and can tell me what they think, or know if they even do in fact exist? Also, and I know it's a longshot, but if anyone has them lots of people would be delighted to see them posted, but of course I know it almost definitely won't happen, I'm just saying is all.
Besides the instrumental demo, there is another demo of "Honey, You Know Where To Find Me" with vocals:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/26juni

I have "Stay As You Are" and the 'Miraval Sessions' (including "Laughing Anne" and the two untitled songs) that I've downloaded, but I don't know if they are genuine. There are lots of hoaxes on Soulseek, and I'm hopeless at judging the authenticity unless I hear Morrissey's vocal on a song. In any case, "Stay As You Are" is a very beautiful 5 minute instrumental with backing vocals. The two untitled songs are excellent mid-tempo tracks. Untitled song # 2 reminds me a bit of "Driving Your Girlfriend Home". And is it just me, or is there a fainly heard vocal humming on Untitled song # 1, which sounds like Morrissey's? "Laughing Anne" is just OK.

I'm not impressed by any of the other unreleased tracks, and I think it's better that they have stayed buried. Apart from the unreleased version of "Piccadilly Palare" with the extra verse - I really love that one, I actually prefer it to the official version.

Can you please upload "Kit"? I've never heard it.

Can you please upload "Kit"? I've never heard it.[/QUOTE

neither have I plus I don't think I have heard "Stay as you are" either

thx alot for Honey that was great, I only had the instrumental! There's no way that's from the Southpaw sessions though.

Last edited:
It's from the Sunny sessions.

I have never heard Children in Pieces.

Is there any chance anyone could post this for me please.

I just love Please help the cause against.... It is so moving to me when he says I am so very young.

the original post said that the poster did not have the version of please help the cause... with the backing vocal by sandie shaw. I will happily post that when I get home.

Please post the Children in Pieces one though. I would be very grateful.

I found these threads over in the bootleg/ download forum, this one is a discussion of Stay As You Are which seems to shed light on it generally being thought of as a fake (the link is dead):
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=62686&highlight=stay+as+you+are

This thread has a live link of Stay As You Are if you’re interested, and a few other rarities:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=62056&highlight=stay+as+you+are

So, what do you think of some of the unreleased songs and demos of Morrissey? Here's what I think:

Oh Phoney - Not that bad, but it wasn't necessarily a poor decision to scrap it. Musically it is uninteresting and the lyrics are embarrasing, but it actually falls in place perfectly because I am able to stand it. Taken alone all the components are awful, but somehow together it manages to be okay.

Striptease with a Difference - Sorry, I just can't show any love for the lyrics. Quality-wise they aren't awful, but what they are about is just unacceptable, it's so un-Moz. But the music is actually quite good in my opinion.

Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness - I've never heard the Sandie Shaw version but I think the Moz demo is okay. The lyrics are passable and the music is acceptable on its own, but they don't really work juxtaposed together.

Oh Phoney just has me in stitches, I love the humour in that song and the way he sings it too, especially the bit 'oh phoney, oh phoney, you doooo', and 'you kick my down below so it won't show, owww how could you', how can you not find that fantastic?! Admittedly it would need some work on it to be made into an album track, but still, it stands up as a pretty good song.

I really disagree about Striptease With A Difference, I like the unusual phrasing used, and once again it is laugh out loud funny, when I made out he was saying 'you're all undisguised, I'm stuck on shoes' it just conjured up the most hilarious image for me! And I think the content of it does actually fit with the 'Morrissey' themes- the quite absurd and awkward social situations of sexual frustration/ desire and yet again, the always thwarted and unrealised physical experiences of life. It kind of fits with the Handsome Devil approach to things, 'there's more to life than books', that's how I take it.

Please Help The Cause sounds fine, Morrissey's voice is beautiful on it, but it's kind of clichéd and a little simple, although who knows how it would've developed. I do like the line, 'I don't mind what day you come round, but if it's the weekend then I just might be dead'.

Honey You Know Where To Find Me sounds rather sarcastic and world-weary to me. It seems less about the 'honey' it's addressed to and more a general analysis on the state of the narrator's life. It sounds once again like something didn't work out as had been hoped but he's used to feeling defeated, and at least that situation is what he's familiar with and can deal with, even if he's not actually happy, there's no point dreaming/ desiring. I think that all fits with the lines:
The future is around me
I see it, I seize it, I use it, I throw it away
Because I'm happy to be like I was in the first place.
Like he is not going to move on, he wants to, can see how his life could change, but knows it'll never happen or work out, so he'll always be where the person (if it is just about a specific person, it could be a more general address to the world) has left him. I think it's more about his own feelings of dissatisfaction/ blaming himself rather than it being aimed at the other person, but there is a spiteful under-tone.

Besides the instrumental demo, there is another demo of "Honey, You Know Where To Find Me" with vocals:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/26juni

I have "Stay As You Are" and the 'Miraval Sessions' (including "Laughing Anne" and the two untitled songs) that I've downloaded, but I don't know if they are genuine. There are lots of hoaxes on Soulseek, and I'm hopeless at judging the authenticity unless I hear Morrissey's vocal on a song. In any case, "Stay As You Are" is a very beautiful 5 minute instrumental with backing vocals. The two untitled songs are excellent mid-tempo tracks. Untitled song # 2 reminds me a bit of "Driving Your Girlfriend Home". And is it just me, or is there a fainly heard vocal humming on Untitled song # 1, which sounds like Morrissey's? "Laughing Anne" is just OK.

I agree Laughing Anne is just OK and you are right, Stay As You Are, is very beautiful. It's like Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning meets I Know It's Over. Could you also please upload the two untitled instrumental demos?

Is children in pieces just an instrumental?

I presumed by the first post that it was a complete song?

Would anybody want to upload 'Laughing Anne' and 'Stay As You Are'? Thanks!

thanks!

Thanks a lot for "Kit". It's a beautiful song and such a shame They didn't finish it.

As for "Stay as you are" there is no way that is Morrissey. Even through that murmer I can tell.

nice bit of music though.

Thanks a lot for "Kit". It's a beautiful song and such a shame They didn't finish it.

As for "Stay as you are" there is no way that is Morrissey. Even through that murmer I can tell.

nice bit of music though.

Hmm. It's up for debate, but Boz says he could remember the title, but not the song. As I listen to it, it reminds me of Dream Academy. Could it be them?

Peter

Hmm. It's up for debate, but Boz says he could remember the title, but not the song. As I listen to it, it reminds me of Dream Academy. Could it be them?

Peter
I've always suspected that "Stay As You Are" was fake. It must be because of those vocals. No, I never thought there was Morrissey's voice on it, but I just wondered if those could be backing vocals. Some other songs had backing vocals, but the backing vocals on "I'd Love To" and "You Must Please Remember" were female... so it wasn't very probable they would record very different ones. And besides, the vocals on "Stay Where You Are" don't actually sound like backing vocals - it sounds like the song is in its final version.

I've never heard any Dream Academy. I don't even know anything about them. But if it's them, or whoever it is, I'd like to hear more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom