Book of Condolence Thread

He was a great comedian but for me it is his more serious films that left an impact, like "One hour photo". When someone goes from one type of character and completely turns it around like he did in that film that shows the mans amazing capability as an actor. I also will remember him as guest on the David Letterman show where his energy could not be matched by anyone out there. A very sad day.

I was always under the impression that Robin Williams was quite tortured as a man, that he was always buzzing and "on" to fill a darker void that he was burdened with. Perhaps this seems cold but I'm not surprised at all by his suicide, that he sort of just solved a problem he's had a long time. I'm not advocating suicide, I'm just saying I think if anyone is sad today, it's not Robin Williams. He's free.

I was always under the impression that Robin Williams was quite tortured as a man, that he was always buzzing and "on" to fill a darker void that he was burdened with. Perhaps this seems cold but I'm not surprised at all by his suicide, that he sort of just solved a problem he's had a long time. I'm not advocating suicide, I'm just saying I think if anyone is sad today, it's not Robin Williams. He's free.

I agree with you there and had the same feeling but it is still a shock somehow. Maybe it is the timing of it as I knew very little about his personal problems. I remember how I was thinking to myself after seeing his hilarious performance as a guest on a tv show that there must be a darker side to him. All that success and all that money counts for nothing and I get sad how so many famous people seem to need drugs to cope. I also believe that america as a country need to dig deeper to fight the cool label they stamped on drug use. From personal experience I have noticed that people do not feel better during summertime and many are the funerals I have attended during warm summers.

I agree with you there and had the same feeling but it is still a shock somehow. Maybe it is the timing of it as I knew very little about his personal problems. I remember how I was thinking to myself after seeing his hilarious performance as a guest on a tv show that there must be a darker side to him. All that success and all that money counts for nothing and I get sad how so many famous people seem to need drugs to cope. I also believe that america as a country need to dig deeper to fight the cool label they stamped on drug use. From personal experience I have noticed that people do not feel better during summertime and many are the funerals I have attended during warm summers.

I'm pretty sure Robin Williams had access to air conditioning, but yeah, I see where you're coming from. It's been theorized that the catalyst for the French Revolution was not just the starvation, but the starvation combined with a humid, miserable, record-breaking hot French summer. The people had had enough.

I'm pretty sure Robin Williams had access to air conditioning, but yeah, I see where you're coming from. It's been theorized that the catalyst for the French Revolution was not just the starvation, but the starvation combined with a humid, miserable, record-breaking hot French summer. The people had had enough.

Sort of like how the Middle East tends to get bad in the summer.

Rest in peace Robin.

Orson: The report, Mork.

Mork: This week I discovered a terrible disease called loneliness.

Orson: Do many people on Earth suffer from this disease?

Mork: Oh yes sir, and how they suffer. One man I know suffers so much he has to take a medication called bourbon, even that doesn't help very much because then he can hear paint dry.

Orson: Does bed rest help?

Mork: No because I've heard that sleeping alone is part of the problem. You see, Orson, loneliness is a disease of the spirit. People who have it think that no one cares about them.

Orson: Do you have any idea why?

Mork: Yes sir you can count on me. You see, when children are young, they're told not to talk to strangers. When they go to school, they're told not to talk to the person next to them. Finally when they're very old, they're told not to talk to themselves, who's left?

Orson: Are you saying Earthlings make each other lonely?

Mork: No sir I'm saying just the opposite. They make themeslves lonely, they're so busy looking out for number one that there's not enough room for two.

Orson: It's too bad everybody down there can't get together and find a cure.

Mork: Here's the paradox sir because if they did get together, they wouldn't need one. Isn't that zenlack?

for the record, violent crimes such as murder or assault tend to go up in summer
while suicides, suicide attempts, and drug overdoses see a rise in winter :straightface:
image07_zpsf91d27f6.jpg

as for Robin Williams death, it did not surprise me, but still saddened me, I've been a big fan of his for a long time
seen him perform stand up a number of times over many years now and yeah, he in many ways is epitomizes the funny man laughing on the outside but crying on the inside
but suicide?
always makes me think that I hope that whoever is killing themselves knows something that I don't :eek:
for while I do believe in something beyond this life, I am both unsure exactly what that is or if its better than here :cool:
otherwise, its seems like such a waste to kill oneself when things can always change for the better*
still, my heart goes out to his family, especially his children** :o

*=funny thing is that the thing most people desperate enough to commit suicide are suffering from some lack of either needed or wanted wealth of some kind, but in Robin's case, $$$ or the lack there of had 0 to do with his depression, funny that, huh?
**=most especially his son, who now with a father who committed suicide just had the statistical odds of him also doing so greatly increased, yes, suicide, the gift that keeps giving, more so than even murder in many instances...

Last edited:
for the record, violent crimes such as murder or assault tend to go up in summer
while suicides, suicide attempts, and drug overdoses see a rise in winter :straightface:
image07_zpsf91d27f6.jpg

as for Robin Williams death, it did not surprise me, but still saddened me, I've been a big fan of his for a long time
seen him perform stand up a number of times over many years now and yeah, he in many ways is epitomizes the funny man laughing on the outside but crying on the inside
but suicide?
always makes me think that I hope that whoever is killing themselves knows something that I don't :eek:
for while I do believe in something beyond this life, I am both unsure exactly what that is or if its better than here :cool:
otherwise, its seems like such a waste to kill oneself when things can always change for the better*
still, my heart goes out to his family, especially his children** :o

*=funny thing is that the thing most people desperate enough to commit suicide are suffering from some lack of either needed or wanted wealth of some kind, but in Robin's case, $$$ or the lack there of had 0 to do with his depression, funny that, huh?
**=most especially his son, who now with a father who committed suicide just had the statistical odds of him also doing so greatly increased, yes, suicide, the gift that keeps giving, more so than even murder in many instances...

I was talking about my personal and other peoples experience and not statistics. If you know so much then you should know that very few countries actually report suicides and keep a statistic on it. We are led to believe that summertime makes people feel better but it's often the complete opposite. Many of the overdoses are hard to decide wether they were accidents or suicide. You're just too wide eyed sometimes my friend.

Maybe it is time more countries around the world kept statistics on suicide even though that can be tricky since many suicides are seen as overdoses or accidents.

I liked Robin Williams, I don't reckon people who have personalities like his have no problems on the side, it's the just the way it is. He made a lot of films that I love, the likes of The Fisher King and The World According to Garp. There are probably only a handful of "celebrities" that I like that are left alive now, they've been dropping like flies of late.

Robin Williams, I can't believe it. I'm so f***ing sad :(

Me too. It was quite devastating news, especially coming on top of all that genocide and violence happening overseas. My brain hurts from sorrow.

I also worry about Moz after hearing of Robin's death since I didn't see this coming, but there are similarities of genius and lifestyle between those two.

Back
Top Bottom