Book of Condolence Thread

Pretty sure he's going to say Jaws.

That's a good one too. I haven't seen it in a long time.

On an unrelated note, I just found out actor Meshach Taylor has passed away. I used to watch "Designing Women" with my Mom when I was young. It wasn't a great show, but it was good. Meshach Taylor, Annie Potts, and Dixie Carter were all great! The other two did nothing for me, especially Delta Burke.

Meshach Taylor, with his Designing Women..jpg

Meshach Taylor in the back row, on the far right, with the "Designing Women."

That's a good one too. I haven't seen it in a long time.

On an unrelated note, I just found out actor Meshach Taylor has passed away. I used to watch "Designing Women" with my Mom when I was young. It wasn't a great show, but it was good. Meshach Taylor, Annie Potts, and Dixie Carter were all great! The other two did nothing for me, especially Delta Burke.

View attachment 32064

Meshach Taylor in the back row, on the far right, with the "Designing Women."

You mean the black guy? :straightface:

Holy shit. All of them are dead now.

I'm so glad I've had the chance to see The Ramones live in Germany back in 1993.

RIP Tommy.

Carin Mannheimer
1934-2014

She portrayed people in her tv series like no other. Sleep well.

Holy shit. All of them are dead now.

I'm so glad I've had the chance to see The Ramones live in Germany back in 1993.

RIP Tommy.
I to will treasure seeing the Ramones at Manchester Apollo, one of the best gigs I ever attended.

James Garner 2.jpg

James Garner (1928-2014)

Great actor who starred in two different popular American television programs. The first was "Maverick" from 1957-1960. He left the show, at the height of its popularity, and sued Warner Bros. for breach of contract as he exited. He won the case. Fourteen years later Garner was given the lead role in a show created specifically for him. The show was the awesome, "The Rockford Files," and Garner played a Los Angeles private investigator, Jim Rockford. The show also featured the ultra sleazy Angel Martin, who was Rockford's former prison cell mate and current con artist friend, who endlessly gets Rockford in trouble. Angel was played by the great Stuart Margolin, who cranked the sleaze factor up to about 5,000. "The Rockford Files" ran for five and a half seasons, ending in the winter of 1980.

James Garner also starred in many movies. My favorite film appearance of his was in the magnificent, "The Great Escape" (1963.) He played the character of Lt. Robert Hendley, a.k.a. "the Scrounger." Garner also had lead roles in such films as "The Children's Hour" (1962), "The Americanization of Emily" (1964), "Grand Prix" (1966), "Victor Victoria" (1982), "Murphy's Romance" (1985),etc. Out of all the films he starred in, "The Americanization of Emily" (1964) was his personal favorite. He also starred in many highly regarded made for television movies such as "My Name is Bill W." (1989) and "Barbarians at the Gate (1993.)

James Garner dropped out of high school to become a swimsuit model. He was making a cool 25 dollars an hour doing this, although he didn't like the work. He never did graduate from high school. Soon after this Garner joined the National Guard. When the Korean War broke out the Army sent him to the fighting, where he toiled for fourteen months. He was injured twice in the line of duty and received two Purple Hearts. After the war he got out of the Army and found that he needed a job. He decided to pursue acting for the sole reason that he needed a job to put a roof over his head. He found that the acting profession was very hard for him because he was "a painfully shy introvert." He decided he had to change if acting was going to be his profession. So with "mind over matter" he forced himself to change.

James Garner also became a frequent political activist. He helped organize the 1963 March on Washington (D.C.) and was a longtime supporter of liberal causes. Garner was close friends with the actor Steve McQueen. They were next door neighbors for years in Los Angeles. "He looked at me as an older brother," Garner told People Magazine in 1998. They starred together in the phenomenal, "The Great Escape" (1963.)

James Garner married his wife Lois in 1956, after only knowing each other for 14 days. At the time of his death they had been married for over 58 years. At the time of their marriage Lois had a seven year old daughter from a previous marriage, Kim. Together they would have another daughter, Greta ("Gigi.") James Garner passed away Saturday night, at his home in Los Angeles, of natural causes. He is survived by his wife and two daughters. Rest in Peace, James Garner.

(Sources: CNN.com and Wikipedia.com)

James Garner and Donald Pleasence in "The Great Escape" (1963)

Last edited by a moderator:

"Although we never met I considered Dora Bryan a close friend through seeing her in those old films I liked. In later years I often tried to gain access to her in her Alzheimers ward, to appreciate her while she was alive, but was turned back by security again and again.

Eventually, in the guise of a cleaner I reached her room. "Dora, it is I. I want you to be in my next video," but sadly Dora looked over my left shoulder and replied "Is that you Grandad?" before beginning to scream. I ran, rather expertly guiding my wheeled bucket by mop alone. It was the last time I saw her alive. And the first.

When will we learn to love these legends - who remind me so much of me - while they are alive? Never. For humanity is lost. Like Dora."

"Although we never met I considered Dora Bryan a close friend through seeing her in those old films I liked. In later years I often tried to gain access to her in her Alzheimers ward, to appreciate her while she was alive, but was turned back by security again and again.

Eventually, in the guise of a cleaner I reached her room. "Dora, it is I. I want you to be in my next video," but sadly Dora looked over my left shoulder and replied "Is that you Grandad?" before beginning to scream. I ran, rather expertly guiding my wheeled bucket by mop alone. It was the last time I saw her alive. And the first.

When will we learn to love these legends - who remind me so much of me - while they are alive? Never. For humanity is lost. Like Dora."

I don't know if that's really in his autobiography or if you just made it up, but it made me smile...

Back
Top Bottom