Book of Condolence Thread

Dave Brockie lead singer of GWAR died March 28. Was there ever a more outragious art band than this group ? Costumes, political comments, blood, acting and just plan CRAZY ! Plus they could put together a tune . Anyone out there ever see this band ?
yes, I saw them a few times, once with another memorable band called Genitorturers :eek:
also, met him a few times, see he use to come by Cleopatra records when I worked there, seems he knew my boss
the thing that has stuck in my mind was the one time he was humming the tune to the Cranberries song "Zombie" but rather than saying:
"In your head, in your head." He just sat there while whoever placed him on hold and said "In your butt, in your butt." until his call was put through :cool:
strange man, but an interesting one, the world is a little less for his passing...

Kevin Sharp.jpg

Country music singer Kevin Sharp (1970-2014). Rest in Peace.

For the past two decades the country music industry has been 90% garbage. There's just no other way to put it. It has been suffocated by hundreds of cookie cutter acts, who specialize in bland vocals, irritating music, & stupid lyrics. Uninspiring performers such as Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney, etc.,etc. have dominated the country music scene. Honestly, I thought when Kenny Chesney's "She Think's My Tractor's Sexy" became a huge hit in '99, it was the death knell gloomily announcing country music's demise. However, because of artists such as the incredible Dwight Yoakam, Toby Keith, Martina McBride, The Band Perry, and Kevin Sharp it has somehow survived, and even remained slightly relevant.

Kevin Sharp's death is a big blow to quality country music. He died yesterday, at the age of 43, of complications from past stomach surgeries and digestive issues. Several years ago, Kevin was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. He was able to overcome this after two years of chemotherapy and radiation. It was shortly after this that Mr. Sharp became a national spokesman for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. He also wrote a book, entitled "Tragedy's Gift,"that is about fighting cancer. The book was released in 2004.

In my opinion, Kevin Sharp's music simply can't compare to Dwight Yoakam's or Toby Keith's. That doesn't matter. What resonates is his wonderful voice. A lot of the lyrics in his songs were written by others, and yet when he sings these songs it's his voice alone that owns them. His songs focus on the "working man" and the "working woman." His songs focus on the quiet and beautiful components of relationships. His songs focus on love. There are no sexy tractors in his songs. He also created several beautiful instrumentals. My favorite is the nice, "I Am The Working Man." Rest in Peace, Kevin Sharp. You will be missed.

"Measure Of A Man" by Kevin Sharp

"I judge a man by the gold on the inside

I'm not fooled, by the glitter on the outside"

"I give an honest day's work, for an honest day's pay

I'll stand behind every word I say

I seal the deal, with the shake of a hand

if I'm a few rungs short of the top of the ladder

when I meet my maker, what will it matter?"

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP Bob Hoskins. One of my favorite actors. Amazing work in 'Mona Lisa' and 'The Long Good Friday'. I even enjoyed him in movies that didn't require much out of him like 'Hook', 'Roger Rabbit', & 'Super Mario Bros.' I was initially sad to hear about his forced retirement from acting months ago...now this.

My Dad had this mate who he was always banging on about saying he was going to be the next big thing in film making - turned out it was Shane Meadows although I'd never heard of him at the time. Anyway, Bob Hoskins turned up in his first film, liked the look of it and didn't charge a fee as a favour to help him out. Always liked him after I heard that.

Plus that bit at the end of The Long Good Friday is one of the best bits of acting that I've ever seen.

rather make a whole thread

a1.jpg

Google reminded me that she would be 85 today, which would seem right
but no, she was only 63 when cancer killed her, and the world has ever since been less for her passing
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_yVhwxCSY‎[/video]

Last edited:
Re: rather make a whole thread

Ann B. Davis, notably the house keeper on The Brady Bunch, died. :(

10312815_868401656521804_5415764478944651254_n.jpg

TV legend Ann B. Davis who played Alice on "The Brady Bunch" has died.

According to the couple she lived with ... Ann fell in her bathroom early this morning and hit her head causing grave damage. We're told she never regained consciousness.

Her roommate says Davis had been pretty healthy for an 88-year old woman -- and her death was a total shock. In fact, she even walked downstairs to say goodnight before going to bed.

Ryuzo Hayashi (1943 - 2014)

Japan lost another versatile actor who was busy doing stage, TV and film as well as book reading of Kenji Miyazawa's work.

He hadn't done many films, but "Life of Chikuzan" which is a bio pic of a blind shamisen player has been well known for his intensity and enthusiasm.

RIP.

Casey Kasem was outstanding. I don't have very much time, to express my thoughts & feelings for the man, but I liked him a lot. I loved listening to his "American Top 40" radio broadcasts in the 80's and 90's. ("American Top 40" had a couple of different names over the years, including "Casey's Top 40.") Every Sunday morning a local radio station plays old broadcasts of Casey's "American Top 40." This past Sunday morning I listened to a lot of it. It was a broadcast from 1975. The Captain & Tenille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" was number two. I missed who was number one. Casey was fabulous hosting the show. I found out later that day that he had passed away. Rest in Peace, Casey.

And he was the voice of Shaggy in Scooby Doo, of course.

:thumb:

untitled.png

Eli Wallach just died. He was 98.

My son and I just watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly together not two weeks ago, at his recommendation. It was my first time seeing it...Wallach's performance knocked me out.

Eli Wallach just died. He was 98.

My son and I just watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly together not two weeks ago, at his recommendation. It was my first time seeing it...Wallach's performance knocked me out.

The second greatest film of all time...he was great in Baby Doll & The Misfits as well.

But I bet you watched the version where he plucks a chicken and sounds like an 80-year old man, didn't you?

He was a great one, what I guess they call now a "character actor" but he stole so many of the scenes he was in, I am just now looking at his filmography
I see his first film listed is
QEANg.png

:eek: I love that film :blushing: weird thing is, when I read that he was dead, I was listening to Devo
OK, let's look at some of his other work I really liked:
Magnificent Seven
Misfits
How the West Was Won
The Moon-Spinners
Lord Jim
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
How to Steal a Million

-then he goes off my radar til the late 80s, though I do remember him as
Corbis-SF4896.jpg

Mr Freeze in Batman the 60s? tv show, you know the one :o
now, back to the list:
Tough Guys
The Two Jakes
The Godfather Part III

The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation
Pola Negri: Life is a Dream in Cinema
The Hoax
Mama's Boy
Tickling Leo
The Ghost Writer

-looking at this list, he really was the best part in a bunch of them :thumb:
also, I think he had a great voice for narration and wish he had done more work like that :guitar:

*=like him, Pola Negri was one of the early film age stars that fascinated me, I remember the doc he made where he talked about working with her...

The second greatest film of all time...he was great in Baby Doll & The Misfits as well.

But I bet you watched the version where he plucks a chicken and sounds like an 80-year old man, didn't you?

Yeah, something was definitely off with that scene...

We watched it on Netflix. I knew there were some lines that had to have been redubbed.

"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" (1967) is one of my six or seven favorite films of all-time. A true masterpiece. Eli Wallach was magnificent, as were Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef. Tuco was the role of a lifetime for him, and he definitely made the most of it. He was also great in "How to Steal a Million," (1966) starring opposite Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. He played the part of wealthy art collector Davis Leland in the film. His character is obsessed with owning a world renowned statue. His scenes with Audrey Hepburn are great! I know he did a lot of stage work too and was very well respected in the theater community. I'm certain they dimmed the lights on Broadway tonight, in his honor. Rest in Peace, Eli Wallach. They don't make actors like you anymore.

Davis Leland.jpg

Davis Leland comes face to face with his obsession, the Cellini Venus.

What's your pick for the greatest film of all-time, !Viva!?

Back
Top Bottom