Book of Condolence Thread

Eydie Gorme - Gorme Sings Showstoppers FRONT.jpg

Eydie Gorme (1928-2013) Talented singer who, along with husband Steve Lawrence, enjoyed a decades long career as the duo Steve & Eydie. They recorded many successful albums together and often toured as Frank Sinatra's opening act. Before teaming up with Steve she had a fruitful solo career. Eydie recorded songs in both English & Spanish. "In the Spanish-speaking market her major hit was, "Amor" (1964). In the English-speaking world her biggest hit was "Blame it on the Bossa Nova" (1963)." (source CNN.com).

I was fortunate enough to see Steve & Eydie perform live. They were the opening act for Frank Sinatra in a 1991 concert I attended in Orlando, Florida. I barely had heard of them before, and really wasn't overly excited when they appeared on stage as the crowd gave them a hearty applause. They were fantastic! Their singing and showmanship was nothing but fantastic. They even sang a few songs with Mr. Sinatra. By the way, Frank Sinatra was simply phenomenal that evening. His voice was just as lush as it'd been on any of his albums that I had ever listened to. It was one of the five best concerts I've ever had the pleasure of attending.

Eydie Gorme was preceded in death by her son Michael. He died at the age of 23 of a heart condition. She is survived by her husband Steve Lawrence, son David, & a granddaughter. Rest in Peace Eydie.

Here's a holiday classic from Steve & Eydie entitled "That Holiday Feeling." I realize its early August, but I always liked this song. It showcases the playful and skillful back & forth that Steve & Eydie excelled at in their songs.

"That Holiday Feeling" by Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme

Last edited by a moderator:
London olympics parachutist Mark Sutton sadly died a couple of days ago. He posed as James Bond jumping from the helicopter during the opening ceremony

Cal Worthington died yesterday watching a football game. Many won't know him but he's quite famous in Southern California. He ran ads for his car dealership and had one of the most iconic jingles "Go see Cal" that So Cal school children would sing "Pussy Cow" ad naseum on the playground. :o

Cal Worthington, the Oklahoma native whose old-time carnival flair built one of the most successful car dealerships west of the Mississippi, has died. He was 92.

Worthington died Sunday while watching football at his home on the Big W Ranch near Orland, Calif., said Brady McLeod of the Miles Law Firm in Sacramento, which represented Worthington.

Described as a cross between Dale Carnegie and Slim Pickens, Worthington was best known for his wacky television pitches that had him wrestling with a tiger, flying upside down on an airplane wing or riding a killer whale. His sales antics with his “Dog Spot” drove a career that took him from a three-car lot on a patch of Texas dirt to a multi-make dealership empire that grossed billions of dollars and stretched from Southern California to Alaska.

In 1950, Worthington bought a car dealership in Huntington Park and in the years that followed began to use his down-home theatrical style to drum up more business.

Worthington's enduring mark on regional television wasn't made until 1971, when he began running his famous “Dog Spot” commercials. The ads were inspired by two competitors, Ralph Williams and Fletcher Jones, who both ran television ads featuring dogs. In particular, Jones was shown cuddling puppies and promised he'd give customers a dog from the pound.

“I decided I'd mimic them,” Worthington told the Los Angeles Times in 2002. So he borrowed a gorilla, chained it to a car bumper and let the cameras roll. With the ape snarling in the background, Worthington said: “Howdy, I'm Cal Worthington and this is my dog Spot. I found this little fella down at the pound, and he's so full of love.”

Worthington spoofed the ads for decades, offering customers his dog Spot, who always turned out to be any animal other than a dog. At one time or another, frogs, lizards, grizzly bears, hippos and even elephants played the part of Spot. It was during this time, too, that Worthington aired the famous 26-stanza jingle he'd written himself titled “Go See Cal.”

From the start, Worthington insisted on writing and starring in his own ads. And he believed in the power of repetition. At its peak, he spent $12 million to run his commercials 50,000 times a year.

Cal Worthington died yesterday watching a football game. Many won't know him but he's quite famous in Southern California. He ran ads for his car dealership and had one of the most iconic jingles "Go see Cal" that So Cal school children would sing "Pussy Cow" ad naseum on the playground. :o

Cal Worthington, the Oklahoma native whose old-time carnival flair built one of the most successful car dealerships west of the Mississippi, has died. He was 92.

Worthington died Sunday while watching football at his home on the Big W Ranch near Orland, Calif., said Brady McLeod of the Miles Law Firm in Sacramento, which represented Worthington.

Described as a cross between Dale Carnegie and Slim Pickens, Worthington was best known for his wacky television pitches that had him wrestling with a tiger, flying upside down on an airplane wing or riding a killer whale. His sales antics with his “Dog Spot” drove a career that took him from a three-car lot on a patch of Texas dirt to a multi-make dealership empire that grossed billions of dollars and stretched from Southern California to Alaska.

In 1950, Worthington bought a car dealership in Huntington Park and in the years that followed began to use his down-home theatrical style to drum up more business.

Worthington's enduring mark on regional television wasn't made until 1971, when he began running his famous “Dog Spot” commercials. The ads were inspired by two competitors, Ralph Williams and Fletcher Jones, who both ran television ads featuring dogs. In particular, Jones was shown cuddling puppies and promised he'd give customers a dog from the pound.

“I decided I'd mimic them,” Worthington told the Los Angeles Times in 2002. So he borrowed a gorilla, chained it to a car bumper and let the cameras roll. With the ape snarling in the background, Worthington said: “Howdy, I'm Cal Worthington and this is my dog Spot. I found this little fella down at the pound, and he's so full of love.”

Worthington spoofed the ads for decades, offering customers his dog Spot, who always turned out to be any animal other than a dog. At one time or another, frogs, lizards, grizzly bears, hippos and even elephants played the part of Spot. It was during this time, too, that Worthington aired the famous 26-stanza jingle he'd written himself titled “Go See Cal.”

From the start, Worthington insisted on writing and starring in his own ads. And he believed in the power of repetition. At its peak, he spent $12 million to run his commercials 50,000 times a year.

Thank you for this picture. Is there a name? For the bear? I'd like his/her picture to be a single sleeve cover if I can ever be arsed to release anything, which is very doubtful en ce moment la!

The bear is not impressed, but is stoical and sad, understaning that Worthington was just a product of his era. I hope no animals were hurt in the making of any ads, but I doubt it. Animals are not here for our purposes. They are not advertising props. regards. BB.

its a day late, but the 9th was my father's birthday, he's been gone 12 years :straightface:
I am bit ashamed that I did not realize it was his birthday til my date last night pointed out that the people next to us were celebrating a "b-day"
& I said, without thinking: "Its a good day to be born" so yes, my condolences go out to:
tbc.jpg

"the Bob", a globetrotting "oil engineer" who likely infected me with a deep and abiding "wanderlust" for going anywhere and everywhere
but also, the fact is that my people, we never are supposed to ever look back or think to far ahead :o
our motto from the German translates to:
"Deeds, not words" :guitar:
adventurers to our core :) so yeah
love you still Dad :tears: love you 4ever
hooah!

Last edited:
Actor Kumar Pallana died today. :tears:

MV5BMTY1Nzk3MjQ5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA1MDQxOA@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

Rest in peace, Mister Little Jeans.

Takashi Yanase (1919-2013)

Very sad to hear that one of the national tresures' passing.

He was equivalent to Charles M. Schulz, all the children in Japan love his creation Anpan-man.

RIP

Takashi Yanase (1919-2013)

Very sad to hear that one of the national tresures' passing.

He was equivalent to Charles M. Schulz, all the children in Japan love his creation Anpan-man.

RIP

anpan.jpg

RIP Felix Dexter.

More Felix...

A sad day. :(

-She was great on "The Bob Newhart Show" too....

marcia wallace.jpg

Marcia Wallace ( 1942-2013.) Rest In Peace.

Back
Top Bottom