Book of Condolence Thread

Every morning I check if I am mentioned in this thread, if not I eat my breakfast.

---Urbanus

Frank Thornton (1921 - 2013) best known as Captain Peacock from "Are You Being Served?" and of late, "The Last Of The Summer Wine". Wether liked or loathed "Are You Being Served?" has its place in British TV comedy as one of the best shows of the 1970s. Full of catchphases and sexual innuendo Frank was good at delivering them or even better at raising an eyebrow at others low remarks.

Richard Griffiths, 1947 - 2013

withnail-and-i-1987-richard-griffiths-richard-e-grant-paul-mcgann-pic-1.jpg

bobby smith.jpg

Bobby Smith, one of the lead singers of the sensational soul group The Spinners, passed away at the age of 76 on March 16th, 2013. Bobby Smith (sometimes spelled Bobbie) had a wonderful voice and is one of the greatest vocalists of all-time. He sang lead vocals on many Spinners classics such as "I'll Be Around," the beautiful "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love," "They Just Can't Stop It the (Games People Play)," the phenomenal duet with Dionne Warwick "Then Came You," and many more. Bobby also was the one who came up with the name for the group in 1954. He loved cars and he got the name from the big chrome hub caps on Cadillacs that were known as "spinners." It's important to note that Philippe' Wynne, the other remarkable lead vocalist of The Spinners, passed away in 1984 after suffering a heart attack. He was only 43 years old. Philippe' sang lead vocals on such Spinners classics as "One of a Kind (Love Affair)," "The Rubberband Man," the heartbreaking "How Could I Let You Get Away," and many more. Bobby Smith died from complications of pneumonia and the flu. May they both rest in Peace!!

It's interesting that David Bowie credits The Spinners with the best show he ever saw. They were renowned for their outstanding showmanship in their concert performances. Bowie's quotes can be found in the liner notes of The Spinners 2003 box set "The Chrome Collection." Also I think it's cool that Bobby Smith had the last name of Smith. I imagine Morrissey, Johnny, Andy, & Mike could appreciate this as well.

roger_ebert.jpg

Roger Ebert (1942-2013). American film critic and journalist. Rest in Peace.

At the end of his autobiography, "Life Itself," Roger Ebert wrote the following paragraph. "Kindness covers all of my political beliefs. No need to spell them out. I believe that if, at the end, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this and am happy I lived long enough to find it out."

Over the past decade Roger Ebert had been battling cancers of the thyroid and salivary gland. In 2006 he lost part of his lower jaw and with it the ability to speak or eat for the rest of his life. In 2011 "Life Itself" was released.

source- The Chicago Sun-Times

Last edited by a moderator:
Annette Funicello died today too.

annette-funicello.jpg

Annette Funicello died today too.

annette-funicello.jpg

I knew I'd heard that name somwhere, but as a UK person, it didn't really ring too many bells. Then I realised it was asking me to remembebr a song, and I finally got what it was...

"Annette Funicello and some guy going steady..."

P.

Allan Arbus, Rest In Peace.jpg

Allan Arbus passed away a few days ago at the age of 95. He was a great actor who guest starred on 12 different episodes of the marvelous television series "M*A*S*H." He played Army psychiatrist Dr. Sidney Freedman on all 12 episodes. The best episodes he guest starred on were "Deal Me Out," "Quo Vadis, Captain Chandler?," "Dear Sigmund," "War of Nerves," "The Billfold Syndrome," "Pressure Points," and the series finale "Goodbye, Farewell, & Amen."

Allan Arbus 1.jpg

Pam Grier and Allan Arbus in "Coffy" (1973).

Ray Harryhausen (1920 - 2013)

Just heard sad news that great master's passing.

I simply adore his work which is full of passion and labour of love.

RIP.

Ray Harryhausen (1920 - 2013)

Just heard sad news that great master's passing.

I simply adore his work which is full of passion and labour of love.

RIP.

Here's a beautiful pic of him. He did Gojeera too. :love:

Ray-Harryhausen-In-Action-006.jpg

Bryan Forbes (1926 ~ 2013); actor, writer, director, etc

mw169506.jpg

BFBFBFdgdgdBF.jpg

As director his first three films, 1961 - 1964, were pretty much flawless little English gems ~ 'Whistle Down The Wind', 'The L-Shaped Room' (from whence came Cicely singing the intro to 'The Queen Is Dead') and, best of all, and criminally lacking in wider worship, the beautifully chilling melancholy of 'Séance On A Wet Afternoon'. He also wrote those last two, as well as crackers like 'The Cockleshell Heroes' (from whence came Anthony intoning the intro to 'Maladjusted'. He also warranted a thank you on that LP's credits) and 'The Angry Silence'. As an actor in 'The Colditz Story', 'The League Of Gentlemen' and 'Guns of Navarone' he had a subtle English suavity and excellent quiffage.

A little piece of my childhood just died.

Rest in Peace.

I feel a tty tribute coming on...

Bryan Forbes (1926 ~ 2013); actor, writer, director, etc

mw169506.jpg

BFBFBFdgdgdBF.jpg

As director his first three films, 1961 - 1964, were pretty much flawless little English gems ~ 'Whistle Down The Wind', 'The L-Shaped Room' (from whence came Cicely singing the intro to 'The Queen Is Dead') and, best of all, and criminally lacking in wider worship, the beautifully chilling melancholy of 'Séance On A Wet Afternoon'. He also wrote those last two, as well as crackers like 'The Cockleshell Heroes' (from whence came Anthony intoning the intro to 'Maladjusted'. He also warranted a thank you on that LP's credits) and 'The Angry Silence'. As an actor in 'The Colditz Story', 'The League Of Gentlemen' and 'Guns of Navarone' he had a subtle English suavity and excellent quiffage.

A little piece of my childhood just died.

Rest in Peace.

I feel a tty tribute coming on...

Aw, didn't know he passed away.

RIP.

Aw, didn't know he passed away.

RIP.

He had a good innings.

Apparently very good friends with the queen mother too. Him and his wife used to go round regularly to her gaff for a Saturday night dinner and they'd all eat on tables in front of qm's telly cos she never missed an episode of 'Starsky & Hutch'. True fact.

Back
Top Bottom