Book of Condolence Thread

Peter Falk (1927-2011)

Very sad to hear that Lt Columbo passed away.

RIP.

He'll be back in a minute saying "One more thing!"

RIP. Many a rainy afternoon on the sofa watching Columbo. My wife always walks in and says "You've seen this".

Peter Falk (1927-2011)

Very sad to hear that Lt Columbo passed away.

RIP.

Very sad to hear about Peter falk passing away. I was just looking at "murder by death" last sunday, and he was so funny in it. I also absolutely loved Columbo. A great actor. Sad news indeed.

'Gilligan,' 'Brady Bunch' creator Sherwood Schwartz dies

t1larg.Schwartz.gi.jpg

Sherwood Schwartz, the prolific television writer and producer best known as the creator of the iconic sitcoms "Gilligan's Island" and "The Brady Bunch," died Tuesday morning in Los Angeles. He was 94.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/07/12/obit.sherwood.schwartz/

He was rich enough to have called a taxi. Part of me thinks that the whole situation could have been avoided if he had done so. Another part of me feels that everybody has a date with an undertaker, a date that they cannot break. This almost inspires me to go outside. Almost.

Too Soon?
photo1.jpg

Keep in mind that Ryan Dunn himself would have laughed at this.

Too Soon?
photo1.jpg

Keep in mind that Ryan Dunn himself would have laughed at this.

Dunn was great, the whole CKY/Jackass legacy was great, and I was shocked and really let down that he died.

But yeah, this is funny as hell and I agree that he would have a sense of humor about it.

Lucien Freud (1922 - 2011)

Just heard the news of his passing.

Earlier a Japanese music critic Toyo Nakamura (1932-2011) killed himself by jumping from his 9th floor flat.

RIP.

Very sad indeed. I always thought she had so much more to offer than the other ordinary female r&b/soul/pop-divas of our time. Or at least she promised to be more than that.

RIP

25 years ago today on the 8th of August, Optimus Prime died.

Last edited by a moderator:
25 years ago today on the 8th of August, Optimus Prime died.

The man who does Optimus Prime's voice does voice-over work in the sound booth of the post production studio I work in. I hear his voice every year, he's very much alive doing voices for Japanese video games now. :p

I guess technically Optimus Prime is dead, but not his voice. That's what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raul Ruiz (1941-2011)

Really shocked to hear Chilean master's departure.
I've watched five of his films so far, some of them are really impressive.
Hopefully NFT will host his retrospective near future.

RIP.

Songwriter Jerry Leiber Dies at 78

Leiber wrote 'Hound Dog,' 'Stand By Me,' 'Jailhouse Rock' and more with partner Mike Stoller

Jerry Leiber, one of the most important songwriters in the history of rock & roll – whose 50-year partnership with Mike Stoller produced "Stand By Me," "Hound Dog," "Jailhouse Rock," "Young Blood," "On Broadway," "Yakety-Yak" and countless other classics – has died of unknown causes, according to a source close to the songwriter. He was 78.
"When Jerry and I started to write, we were writing to amuse ourselves," Stoller told Rolling Stone in 1990. "It was done out of a love of doing it. We we got very lucky in the sense that at some point what we wrote also amused a lot of other people."
Leiber met Stoller in Los Angeles in 1950 when he was still a senior in high school. They had a mutual love of R&B, blues and pop, and began writing music together almost instantly, with Stoller mostly handling the music and Leiber mostly handling the lyrics. "Jerry was an idea machine," Stoller says in their 2009 memoir Hound Dog. "For every situation, Jerry had 20 ideas. As would-be songwriters, our interest was in black music and black music only. We wanted to write songs for black voices. When Jerry sang, he sounded black, so that gave us an advantage . . . His verbal vocabulary was all over the place – black, Jewish, theatrical, comical. He would paint pictures with words."
In the early days, they pulled 12-hour days writing on an upright piano in Stoller's house. "We're a unit," Leiber told Rolling Stone in 1990. "The instincts are very closely aligned. I could write, 'Take out the papers and the trash,' and he'll come up with 'Or you don't get no spending cash.'"
Within three years of meeting each other, Leiber and Stoller were the hottest songwriters in the business –writing hits for the Drifters, Coasters and the Robins and many other R&B groups of the era. In 1956, their career went to a higher level when Elvis Presley took "Hound Dog" – which they wrote for Big Mama Thornton four years earlier – and turned it into a gigantic hit.
Leiber was extremely irritated by the changes that Presley made to the original lyrics. "To this day I have no idea what that rabbit business is about," he said in 2009. "The song is not about a dog; it's about a man, a freeloading gigolo. Elvis' version makes no sense to me, and, even more irritatingly, it is not the song that Mike and I wrote. Of course, the fact that it sold more than seven million copies took the sting out of what seemed to be a capricious changes of lyrics."
Despite their success with Presley, most of the acts that Leiber and Stoller worked with were black. "I felt black," Leiber told Rolling Stone in 1990. "I was as far as I was concerned. And I wanted to be black for lots of reasons. They were better musicians, they were better athletes, they were not uptight about sex, and they knew how to enjoy life better than most people."
Not all of their songs were as innocent as they seemed. "Pure and simple, 'Poison Ivy' [a 1959 hit they wrote for The Coasters] is a metaphor for a sexually transmitted disease – or the clap – hardly a topic for a song that hit the Top Ten in the Spring of 1959," Leiber said in 2009. "But the more we wrote, the less we understood why the public bought what it bought."
The hits continued into the early 1960s with such classics as "Stand By Me" and "Spanish Harlem," but when the Beatles broke in America in early 1964, the music industry changed very quickly. The duo never stopped writing songs, and in 1972 they had a comeback hit with "Stuck In The Middle With You," which was recorded by Stealers Wheel. In 1995, their catalog of hits was turned into the Broadway musical Smokey Joe's Cafe, and this past May, American Idol devoted an entire evening to their music.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/source-songwriter-jerry-leiber-dies-at-78-20110822

Songwriter Jerry Leiber Dies at 78

Leiber wrote 'Hound Dog,' 'Stand By Me,' 'Jailhouse Rock' and more with partner Mike Stoller

Jerry Leiber, one of the most important songwriters in the history of rock & roll – whose 50-year partnership with Mike Stoller produced "Stand By Me," "Hound Dog," "Jailhouse Rock," "Young Blood," "On Broadway," "Yakety-Yak" and countless other classics – has died of unknown causes, according to a source close to the songwriter. He was 78.
"When Jerry and I started to write, we were writing to amuse ourselves," Stoller told Rolling Stone in 1990. "It was done out of a love of doing it. We we got very lucky in the sense that at some point what we wrote also amused a lot of other people."
Leiber met Stoller in Los Angeles in 1950 when he was still a senior in high school. They had a mutual love of R&B, blues and pop, and began writing music together almost instantly, with Stoller mostly handling the music and Leiber mostly handling the lyrics. "Jerry was an idea machine," Stoller says in their 2009 memoir Hound Dog. "For every situation, Jerry had 20 ideas. As would-be songwriters, our interest was in black music and black music only. We wanted to write songs for black voices. When Jerry sang, he sounded black, so that gave us an advantage . . . His verbal vocabulary was all over the place – black, Jewish, theatrical, comical. He would paint pictures with words."
In the early days, they pulled 12-hour days writing on an upright piano in Stoller's house. "We're a unit," Leiber told Rolling Stone in 1990. "The instincts are very closely aligned. I could write, 'Take out the papers and the trash,' and he'll come up with 'Or you don't get no spending cash.'"
Within three years of meeting each other, Leiber and Stoller were the hottest songwriters in the business –writing hits for the Drifters, Coasters and the Robins and many other R&B groups of the era. In 1956, their career went to a higher level when Elvis Presley took "Hound Dog" – which they wrote for Big Mama Thornton four years earlier – and turned it into a gigantic hit.
Leiber was extremely irritated by the changes that Presley made to the original lyrics. "To this day I have no idea what that rabbit business is about," he said in 2009. "The song is not about a dog; it's about a man, a freeloading gigolo. Elvis' version makes no sense to me, and, even more irritatingly, it is not the song that Mike and I wrote. Of course, the fact that it sold more than seven million copies took the sting out of what seemed to be a capricious changes of lyrics."
Despite their success with Presley, most of the acts that Leiber and Stoller worked with were black. "I felt black," Leiber told Rolling Stone in 1990. "I was as far as I was concerned. And I wanted to be black for lots of reasons. They were better musicians, they were better athletes, they were not uptight about sex, and they knew how to enjoy life better than most people."
Not all of their songs were as innocent as they seemed. "Pure and simple, 'Poison Ivy' [a 1959 hit they wrote for The Coasters] is a metaphor for a sexually transmitted disease – or the clap – hardly a topic for a song that hit the Top Ten in the Spring of 1959," Leiber said in 2009. "But the more we wrote, the less we understood why the public bought what it bought."
The hits continued into the early 1960s with such classics as "Stand By Me" and "Spanish Harlem," but when the Beatles broke in America in early 1964, the music industry changed very quickly. The duo never stopped writing songs, and in 1972 they had a comeback hit with "Stuck In The Middle With You," which was recorded by Stealers Wheel. In 1995, their catalog of hits was turned into the Broadway musical Smokey Joe's Cafe, and this past May, American Idol devoted an entire evening to their music.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/source-songwriter-jerry-leiber-dies-at-78-20110822

Didn't Marr say to Morrissey - "This is how Lieber and Stoller met?"

P.

Back
Top Bottom